Prospect Info: 2022-23 Oilers Prospects Thread

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Kid can whip that puck. Just needs to continue to work on getting quicker and stronger.

Agreed. The strength will come, dude is an ox, clearly has an extremely projectable frame. It's the skating that scares me

I also think his point totals will get inflated this year. Not saying he won't merit the point/goal totals he'll put up, but Seattle is stacked. For my money the best team in the CHL

The T-Birds are 8-0-0 to start the year, putting up 49 GF, only 21 GA. Schaefer is tied for 3rd on the team in scoring. He's tied with 3 other players, all high end. Powerhouse team

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Agreed. The strength will come, dude is an ox, clearly has an extremely projectable frame. It's the skating that scares me

I also think his point totals will get inflated this year. Not saying he won't merit the point/goal totals he'll put up, but Seattle is stacked. For my money the best team in the CHL

The T-Birds are 8-0-0 to start the year, putting up 49 GF, only 21 GA. Schaefer is tied for 3rd on the team in scoring. He's tied with 3 other players, all high end. Powerhouse team
The good news is that the Oilers need forwards who can score. That is a skill that is never easy to teach. Skating can be improved with hard work.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Kinda random, but they really like their Alberta boys over in Seattle.

Top three forward scorers on the team are from Edmonton and the next three after them are from Calgary, Grande Prairie and Ardrossan.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fanti and his partner down in Fort Wayne are off to a bit of a rough start.

bde5e38df8b7bea855dbf35752fa6384.png

• Wow
Reactions: CycloneSweep

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Broberg at 18, 11 players drafted after jump over. Only Turcotte of the players picked before him fell below Broberg.
Writer does say that he was tempted to put Broberg higher though.
He was ranked in the 15-18 range by a fair number of scouts on draft day, so this re-ranking isnt crazy to see.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hilarious to look at some of the draft day overreactions of the Shaefer pick.

Solid start to his Draft+1 season. Look at the Oil & Canadian NHL team prospects.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Broberg at 18, 11 players drafted after jump over. Only Turcotte of the players picked before him fell below Broberg.
Writer does say that he was tempted to put Broberg higher though.
An opinion piece. Ok. Looking at it by position, not really a super shock to see forwards elevate as they are the easiest position (centre excepted) to transition quickly and effectively to NHL competition. Looking at it by defense, Broberg still slots in behind the big two taken ahead of him, with a questionable subjective pick of Thomas Harley ahead of him.

Development wise, a 20 year old Broberg played top pairing, all situational AHL minutes as a rookie and dipped his toes at NHL competition for 23 games due to substantive injuries to the Oilers d-corp. Still the youngest pro D prospect in their system by a year. Building up a quality pipeline of legitimate NHL defense prospects has been a much higher organizational need forever and moreso reacting to key losses to Klefbom and Larsson.

He's fine.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
An opinion piece. Ok. Looking at it by position, not really a super shock to see forwards elevate as they are the easiest position (centre excepted) to transition quickly and effectively to NHL competition. Looking at it by defense, Broberg still slots in behind the big two taken ahead of him, with a questionable subjective pick of Thomas Harley ahead of him.

Development wise, a 20 year old Broberg played top pairing, all situational AHL minutes as a rookie and dipped his toes at NHL competition for 23 games due to substantive injuries to the Oilers d-corp. Still the youngest pro D prospect in their system by a year. Building up a quality pipeline of legitimate NHL defense prospects has been a much higher organizational need forever and moreso reacting to key losses to Klefbom and Larsson.

He's fine.
My biggest concern with him right now is his mystery injury that we know nothing about and he still isn’t skating. That and the apparent big step back it looks like he took during the pre season.

If it’s another big injury this young during his most important development time that’s a huge worry.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
My biggest concern with him right now is his mystery injury that we know nothing about and he still isn’t skating. That and the apparent big step back it looks like he took during the pre season.

If it’s another big injury this young during his most important development time that’s a huge worry.
Meh, not going to sweat a non reported injury as this team juggled its cap mess to start the year. After season opening yo-yo ing between Edmonton and Bako, it sounds like Broberg is skating and may hit the ice on the farm this weekend.

He was outperformed by an NHL prospect with three years age, physical development and more pro experience along with a specific skill set lacking on a pretty generic finesse NHL d-corp. I'd personally rather praise Niemelainan for capturing his potential than overtly critique a 21 year old defender for not yet fully bottling up his strong but raw tool kit.

Slow cooking (though not really slow cooking) a 21 year old d-man is a positive reality that the NHL club has matured itself in its approach to prospect development. Reflects also the big club's positioning in mature phase of development chasing cups not fast tracking overwhelmed kiddies which was a prime reason for a decade as an embarrassment.

Just have to be patient with young defensemen. It's a damn hard and unforgiving position against apex, elite competition.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Meh, not going to sweat a non reported injury as this team juggled its cap mess to start the year. After season opening yo-yo ing between Edmonton and Bako, it sounds like Broberg is skating and may hit the ice on the farm this weekend.

He was outperformed by an NHL prospect with three years age, physical development and more pro experience along with a specific skill set lacking on a pretty generic finesse NHL d-corp. I'd personally rather praise Niemelainan for capturing his potential than overtly critique a 21 year old defender for not yet fully bottling up his strong but raw tool kit.

Slow cooking (though not really slow cooking) a 21 year old d-man is a positive reality that the NHL club has matured itself in its approach to prospect development. Reflects also the big club's positioning in mature phase of development chasing cups not fast tracking overwhelmed kiddies which was a prime reason for a decade as an embarrassment.

Just have to be patient with young defensemen. It's a damn hard and unforgiving position against apex, elite competition.
A lot of good defenders start to become full time good NHLers at this point. So if he isn’t an NHL guy this year, it becomes slightly worrisome.

Reactions: Aerchon

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A lot of good defenders start to become full time good NHLers at this point. So if he isn’t an NHL guy this year, it becomes slightly worrisome.
I think watching Bouchard is a decent indicator of the non-linear path of overwhelmingly most defensemen take. One can see the challenges of learning play out often game-to-game. Now Bouchard came in with a specific elite skill set (shot, passing, offence) but he continues to learn on the job how to play faster (processing speed and foot speed on puck retrievals etc). Playing last season with Duncan Keith was significant to help through the growing pains. Significantly, Woodcroft cut back Bouchard's minutes when he came in and can see how this mature phase team still leans on veteran defenders.

Klefbom elevated fairly quickly on a bad Oilers team. This current team, hoping to chase long playoff runs, is in an entirely different phase of mature development and don't have to rush age 20/21 d-men to its roster. More time to percolate and build strength and experience defending North American pro opposition is fine. Will assess at end of this second year N. American pro year.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The difference between Broberg and Klefbom is that Klefbom was a very pro style ready systems guy who excels in coordinated, structured play which is why he took off running in the NHL and actually produced at a higher rate in the NHL than he did in the SEL/AHL. Broberg is more like Nurse, a raw tools guy who needs time to put it together and allow the natural talent to take over with experience. Broberg can just do things at his age speed/skill wise that Klefbom physically cannot. He looked like he had confidence issues during the first callup last year and Tippett's dogwater system didn't help. Nurse looked like he was trolling almost every game his first 2 years here and didn't start looking like a good NHL quality dman until year 3, which would be next season for Broberg. Lets be patient with him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone hear anything on Munzenberger. See he's leading his team with 4a. Curious what his role is there.

Todd putting him onto PP?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom was as inconsistent as inconsistent gets at the nhl level for his first few years.

I personally never saw him becoming a good 200' player until after he did so.

Klefbom was not polished and nhl ready when he started his nhl career. The Oilers had a crap team with a crap defense is the only reason Klefbom got the oppurtunities he did.

As much as our defense isn't top 5 in the league it is "good" league average or above imo. Klefbom would never make this team at the same age as Broberg.

Unfortunately for Broberg with us being in win now mode and the foreseeable future it could be years/never that the Oilers put someone on the roster as raw and unpolished as Broberg certainly appears this year.

Klefbom developed as trail by fire and came out tempered after years of it. I can't see Broberg getting those same opportunities. Period.

If Broberg is going to succeed he is going to need to show a lot more and develop with far less nhl exposure to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad