Prospect Info: 2022-23 Oilers Prospects Thread

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Does anyone know the knock on him that caused him to fall to the 7th round?

He looks like his skating is at least decent as well which is what causes most guys to slide.

The covid drafts were bound to have some players go way earlier/later than they should. Wanner played 5 games of AAA and 17 games in the WHL bubble his draft year. He may have gone higher in a normal draft cycle. That's a big part of it. Credit to the Oilers scouts for seeing a diamond in the rough

Beyond that, you have to credit the player. His growth and development, in a short amount of time, has been impressive. That's on him. He's dedicated himself to improvement. He's made great strides in terms of skating and puck handling. He's also slowly growing into his frame. With larger, rangier D, the coordination can take time. He looks confident and he's earned all the praise he's been getting

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The covid drafts were bound to have some players go way earlier/later than they should. Wanner played 5 games of AAA and 17 games in the WHL bubble his draft year. He may have gone higher in a normal draft cycle. That's a big part of it. Credit to the Oilers scouts for seeing a diamond in the rough

Beyond that, you have to credit the player. His growth and development, in a short amount of time, has been impressive. That's on him. He's dedicated himself to improvement. He's made great strides in terms of skating and puck handling. He's also slowly growing into his frame. With larger, rangier D, the coordination can take time. He looks confident and he's earned all the praise he's been getting
Listened to quite a few of the draft experts and they themselves really said those covid drafts are going to be real interesting to go back and take a look at.

Even for the guys drafted earlier on just because they have the draft pedigree they could very well slip in actual play due to lack of playing time. And it's really not just as simple as saying guys didn't have dedication or what not either. A lot of guys were in different situations based on where they lived. There was only so much some guys could do during the lockdowns.

Then there was the whole some guys got passed on because teams were only able to see the player play live once or twice and didn't like what they saw. On the flip side there were guys drafted that teams didn't even see live, but saw them the year before and then watched some film and liked what they saw.

Drafting and developing isn't close to an exact science at the best of times, with covid look out anything could happen.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Berezkin scored his 3rd of the year today. Up to 3G 1A through 11GP on the year. He’s coming along. His shot is lethal and he’s a big big dude. KHL site has him listed at 6’2 220

I thought that he was closer to 6'4" or 6'5" tall? Either way he's a guy that I have had hopes for for some time.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yep underrated on all the prospect ratings done for Oilers including the fans. Outperformed Petrov at same age in MHL
Elite prospects has him listed at 6'2" as well, am I missing something here? I could've sworn he was like 6'4" or 6'5" tall!

Reactions: Canovin

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
18 year old Petrov: 42 points in 58 games
18 year old Beryozkin: 28 points in 55 games
Not exactly the perfect way to compare stats for someone of a late birthday like Beryozkin, as we need to count stats from the 17th birthday to 18th, not to mention a different amount of games. If I calculated it correctly then it would be 0.71ppg for Beryozkin Vs. 0.72ppg for Petrov.

He's been averaging 17 minutes per night over his last seven games. Almost unheard of for 18 year olds in the KHL.

Yeah, Yevseyev was listed on the first pairing with Slava Voynov recently, indeed something very impressive for him to deserve that. With that being said having a KHL contract until 2025 combined with the current political situation likely will make people not to be hyping/talking about him too much.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Elite prospects has him listed at 6'2" as well, am I missing something here? I could've sworn he was like 6'4" or 6'5" tall!
Actually found out that indeed there might be something wrong with the Ep/KHL measurements, as Lokomotiv's website has Beryozkin at 192cm, which is 6'3.6", which indeed would be rounded up to 6'4" usually.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Actually found out that indeed there might be something wrong with the Ep/KHL measurements, as Lokomotiv's website has Beryozkin at 192cm, which is 6'3.6", which indeed would be rounded up to 6'4" usually.
May I ask you about Nikita Yevseyev? Sounds like he's moved up the lineup from the occasional shift to playing 17 minutes per game which is pretty impressive at 18 in the KHL. Especially for a D. Two goals the other noght on top of that. Is this due to his team lacking depth/suffering injuries or has he truly been that good.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
May I ask you about Nikita Yevseyev? Sounds like he's moved up the lineup from the occasional shift to playing 17 minutes per game which is pretty impressive at 18 in the KHL. Especially for a D. Two goals the other noght on top of that. Is this due to his team lacking depth/suffering injuries or has he truly been that good.
The Ak Bars team has been very bad this season, yet Yevseyev has been at least decent, which forces coaches to trust him more than the other guys even though he is much less experienced. So while I can't say he was amazing or something, being not bad in that kind of circumstances is quite a solid accomplishment by itself.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not exactly the perfect way to compare stats for someone of a late birthday like Beryozkin, as we need to count stats from the 17th birthday to 18th, not to mention a different amount of games. If I calculated it correctly then it would be 0.71ppg for Beryozkin Vs. 0.72ppg for Petrov.

Yeah, Yevseyev was listed on the first pairing with Slava Voynov recently, indeed something very impressive for him to deserve that. With that being said having a KHL contract until 2025 combined with the current political situation likely will make people not to be hyping/talking about him too much.
Maybe they can bring him over when he's 28 years old like happened with Panarin and Kaprizov, and then win "rookie" of the year award. (I always wonder if the Russians lie about their birthdates)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Maybe they can bring him over when he's 28 years old like happened with Panarin and Kaprizov, and then win "rookie" of the year award. (I always wonder if the Russians lie about their birthdates)
28? Look at Kaprizov's face, he can't grow a proper beard yet lol. Panarin can, but still looks really young comparing to Evan Bouchard. :sarcasm:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The Ak Bars team has been very bad this season, yet Yevseyev has been at least decent, which forces coaches to trust him more than the other guys even though he is much less experienced. So while I can't say he was amazing or something, being not bad in that kind of circumstances is quite a solid accomplishment by itself.

Really appreciate the updates and insight on our Russian / KHL / MHL prospects by the way :cheers:

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
18 year old Petrov: 42 points in 58 games
18 year old Beryozkin: 28 points in 55 games
You grabbed the wrong year. Beryozkin's draft year because of the late birthday was the year after that.
9.png
Loko Yaroslavl
MHL512529542237

Reactions: oilers'72

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You grabbed the wrong year. Beryozkin's draft year because of the late birthday was the year after that.
9.png
Loko Yaroslavl
MHL512529542237
Players with late birthdays are drafted in their 18 year old season and have an extra year of development when they're drafted compared to Jan1-Sept15 birthdays. so to compare them at the same age, like you said, you would look at Beryozkin's D-1 year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
28? Look at Kaprizov's face, he can't grow a proper beard yet lol. Panarin can, but still looks really young comparing to Evan Bouchard. :sarcasm:
Some guys will never be able to grow much facial hair. Look at the Nuge's pathetic attempts.;)

Edit :I see Joe beat me to the punch on this response.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Players with late birthdays are drafted in their 18 year old season and have an extra year of development when they're drafted compared to Jan1-Sept15 birthdays. so to compare them at the same age, like you said, you would look at Beryozkin's D-1 year.
That's not the way it works when in the same draft year and most times they actually played same year peewee, bantam, and midget together all along. They didnt necessarily start sooner. Ya there may be a bit of consideration but when scouting the scouts compare everyone within the draft year together and don't go and compare someone's stats with a November birthday from the previous year with the June kids current stats. They may note some physical maturity etc. as part of it.

If you do it the way you are saying in the case of Beryozkin and Petrov you are comparing Beryozkin only playing one year of MHL and Petrov playing 1.5 years in the MHL and maybe the rest of the year practice with MHL team so Petrov had more development in the MHL in your comparable year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad