Prospect Info: 2022-23 Oilers Prospects Thread

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's not the way it works when in the same draft year and most times they actually played same year peewee, bantam, and midget together all along. They didnt necessarily start sooner. Ya there may be a bit of consideration but when scouting the scouts compare everyone within the draft year together and don't go and compare someone's stats with a November birthday from the previous year with the June kids current stats. They may note some physical maturity etc. as part of it.

If you do it the way you are saying in the case of Beryozkin and Petrov you are comparing Beryozkin only playing one year of MHL and Petrov playing 1.5 years in the MHL and maybe the rest of the year practice with MHL team so Petrov had more development in the MHL in your comparable year.
That's how the NHL determines age.

Scouts don't really look at stats, but I can tell you how a late birthday prospect played as a 17 year old in their D-1 is a huge factor that's considered. Guys like Holloway and Yamo who dominated in their D-1 years are going to be valued higher than guys who were underwhelming at 17.

Petrov had more years in the MHL because he played a league higher than Beryozkin at the same age every year going back to when he was 15. I'd guess that's because he was the better player at those ages.

Reactions: oilers'72

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Nuge is 29 and he can't grow shit either
Some guys will never be able to grow much facial hair. Look at the Nuge's pathetic attempts.;)

Edit :I see Joe beat me to the punch on this response.
Fair enough, although with that being said I still think the chance Nuge is able to buy a beer without being asked for his ID is higher than it is for Kaprizov. :)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Scouts don't really look at stats, but I can tell you how a late birthday prospect played as a 17 year old in their D-1 is a huge factor that's considered. Guys like Holloway and Yamo who dominated in their D-1 years are going to be valued higher than guys who were underwhelming at 17.

Petrov had more years in the MHL because he played a league higher than Beryozkin at the same age every year going back to when he was 15. I'd guess that's because he was the better player at those ages.
For the MHL it also varies by the organization, as Loko is always a very strong team with a lot of depth, same can't be said for Krylya Sovetov team.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Schaefer with a ENG to complete the hattrick. His second on the year

16P (13G 3A) through 10GP to start the year

He's also averaging nearly five shots per game
Haven't been watching him but the 5 shots per game is even more encouraging to me than the raw goal totals. It suggests that the player is getting into the right places to receive passes/get to loose pucks which are absolutely crucial skills for a player who can hopefully one day flank one of our elite playmaking centers.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Haven't been watching him but the 5 shots per game is even more encouraging to me than the raw goal totals. It suggests that the player is getting into the right places to receive passes/get to loose pucks which are absolutely crucial skills for a player who can hopefully one day flank one of our elite playmaking centers.
Sounds like a fit in our top nine!

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Exactly. And he has a shooter's mentality which is also something that we need to add to our club's top 6. If all of Holloway, Bourgault and Schaeffer pan out to be top 9 players we are laughing our way to the top of the league.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Attachments

• 1667421175096.jpeg
    1667421175096.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 3

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Exactly. And he has a shooter's mentality which is also something that we need to add to our club's top 6. If all of Holloway, Bourgault and Schaeffer pan out to be top 9 players we are laughing our way to the top of the league.

We still have the Tier 2 class of prospects as well in Tullio, Savoie, Lavoie, Hamblin, Philip and Kostin with a healthy dose of low-mid and bottom pair D coming along.

Things are indeed looking up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
5 goals in 7 games for Kesselring. Can't say I was expecting that
1st in goalscoring for AHL defensemen, 8th in points with 6 and 5th in shots on goal with 20.

I don't anticipate the goalscoring continuing at this pace, but this kid better be getting some NHL consideration at some point. This might be our eventual Barrie replacement on the 3rd pairing.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Kesselring always had tantalizing raw tools, we're slowly seeing it come together for him. We should all be excited about what he can add to this team down the road

I think he fits our playstyle well. Loves to join the offence. He's also a tree. He can clog lanes and play with an edge. That side of his game still needs refinement. He's coming though. The potential is sky high

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

We still have the Tier 2 class of prospects as well in Tullio, Savoie, Lavoie, Hamblin, Philip and Kostin with a healthy dose of low-mid and bottom pair D coming along.

Things are indeed looking up.

Super funny to look back at the (over) reaction to the Shaefer Draft Thread and definitive posts to declare this a bad pick. Lmao.

Oil drafted a big body power forward type with high end shot who can score from distance or bulling opposition in the battle blue paint areas. A major draft riser after getting better in a long playoff run. Low floor with body size and game to play bottom six and enough raw skills including weaponized elite shot to prospectively play higher in an NHL lineup. A very good big body package to add to a pipeline of smaller skill forwards.

Oil are building up a nice, well rounded pipeline of prospects at forward and D including raw projects like Kesselring. Bigger, high compete, the support pieces for sustaining success are coming into focus.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

Note your contradicting yourself. You said that Would have to look at Beryozkin's D-1 year to level the years of development they had. Then in this thread you are saying that years in a a certain league are not considered more development. Doing it purely by age of 6 extra months is not accurate.

BY your rationale of years of "development" someone who starts playing hockey at 4 has 6 more years development then someone who started playing at 10.

I agree that late birthday prospects have a bit of a dactor but not huge. Go read any of the scouting reports...pick any of McKeen's Central Scouting, Redline....any of them and at most it is a passing comment and not even comparable to the production in their draft year.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nikita Yevseyev scored his 4th of the season this morning

I’ve never seen this kid play. I have zero book on him. My god is his production fascinating though

It's hard to get excited for our European prospects. We either don't extend them(Berglund), or get drunk in the summer and forget to sign them(Blumel), or they have one bad year in the minors and we terminate their contract(Konovalov), or have one bad game and trade them(Samorukov)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's hard to get excited for our European prospects. We either don't extend them(Berglund), or get drunk in the summer and forget to sign them(Blumel), or they have one bad year in the minors and we terminate their contract(Konovalov), or have one bad game and trade them(Samorukov)
This.

The Oilers just seem intent on giving away NHL talent both Euro or otherwise IMO. I hope that bleeding of NHL prospects stops sooner than later.

Reactions: Canovin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad