2022-23 Junior Hockey Additions and Subtractions

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Idaho Falls having 1,000 season ticket holders for tier 3, that is promising but will it last? You'd like to see a team with that kind of market and a brand new arena to be pushing to jump up a level, which the NAHL would probably allow but they need at least two more frontier teams to join up with the Alaska Three to make anything work in Idaho. We shall see how that team evolves but sounds strong.

I would think that if the NAHL was the goal they would have first joined the 3HL as originally reported. But who knows with the way junior organizations jump around.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Mark Divver hears rumors about the ancient Everett Arena in Concord, NH getting a NAHL team. The league pretty actively chased the NH Monarchs, back when they were getting a lot of fans under Frew in the EHL, but that organization obviously went the other way. Likely an attempt to continue to shore up the Eastern Division with a place that actually can get fans.

Johnstown: still one of the best in the league in attendance, but they are in Y10 and attendance has steadily decreased every season.
Jamestown: looks like the town has started to take to the team. Has the potential to be a solid, but unspectacular franchise
Maine: has had a lot of Covid trouble affecting attendance, but they share ownership with the rink and likely will be aiming for the 1,000 mark they were well above before Covid.
New Jersey: surprisingly have been growing their fanbase and might be approaching long term viability without the rink ownership subsidizing the team.
Maryland: same as NJ. Small rec rink, but they are packing it in fairly regularly
Danbury and Northeast are both subsidized by and share ownership with the rink. Attendance nowhere near the triple digits.

Reactions: mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Oklahoma City's NAHL team is pushing out University of Oklahoma's well supported ACHA team. Pushing out the popular, current tenants might send some waves throughout their potential market. For previous examples of how this is a potential huge negative, see Jamestown Ironmen pushing out the Jamestown Jets.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Oklahoma City's NAHL team is pushing out University of Oklahoma's well supported ACHA team. Pushing out the popular, current tenants might send some waves throughout their potential market. For previous examples of how this is a potential huge negative, see Jamestown Ironmen pushing out the Jamestown Jets.
I was wondering how the move would impact the Sooners other than the obvious the ice time conflicts. I figured there would be some limitations to the OU club, but didn't think it would mean being booted all the way across town

chief fan

Mar 24, 2019

Mark Divver hears rumors about the ancient Everett Arena in Concord, NH getting a NAHL team. The league pretty actively chased the NH Monarchs, back when they were getting a lot of fans under Frew in the EHL, but that organization obviously went the other way. Likely an attempt to continue to shore up the Eastern Division with a place that actually can get fans.

Johnstown: still one of the best in the league in attendance, but they are in Y10 and attendance has steadily decreased every season.
Jamestown: looks like the town has started to take to the team. Has the potential to be a solid, but unspectacular franchise
Maine: has had a lot of Covid trouble affecting attendance, but they share ownership with the rink and likely will be aiming for the 1,000 mark they were well above before Covid.
New Jersey: surprisingly have been growing their fanbase and might be approaching long term viability without the rink ownership subsidizing the team.
Maryland: same as NJ. Small rec rink, but they are packing it in fairly regularly
Danbury and Northeast are both subsidized by and share ownership with the rink. Attendance nowhere near the triple digits.

Actually real butts in the seats is 500 or less and closer to 300 in Johnstown.. the only time they crack 1000 is if they bring in a celebrity for a promotion.. JR hockey has run its course in Johnstown and is dead.. with the USA Hockey doing everything to eliminate physical hockey Jr hockey has become a rough sale in a city that is accustomed to pro style game .Tomahawks are in the last year of their contract with the Arena and rumor has it the Arena will be looking at all options including the possibility of a SPHL,FHL franchise and moving on from the Tomahawks The Arena is losing a ton of concession revenue.. SPHL franchise would be a breath of fresh air but it’s more than likely A FHL will be playing in Johnstown in 2023.. paid attendance and actual Butts in the seats are two different things and the arena needs Butts in the Seats..

Basil

Mar 27, 2018
Actually real butts in the seats is 500 or less and closer to 300 in Johnstown.. the only time they crack 1000 is if they bring in a celebrity for a promotion.. JR hockey has run its course in Johnstown and is dead.. with the USA Hockey doing everything to eliminate physical hockey Jr hockey has become a rough sale in a city that is accustomed to pro style game .Tomahawks are in the last year of their contract with the Arena and rumor has it the Arena will be looking at all options including the possibility of a SPHL,FHL franchise and moving on from the Tomahawks The Arena is losing a ton of concession revenue.. SPHL franchise would be a breath of fresh air but it’s more than likely A FHL will be playing in Johnstown in 2023.. paid attendance and actual Butts in the seats are two different things and the arena needs Butts in the Seats..
Complete garbage. I've been a season ticket holder for the Tomahawks since their first year and the attendance numbers reported are accurate. I know for a fact that the team has over 800 season ticket holders. Both games this weekend drew over 2,000 loud, rowdy fans. And yes the games were physical.

While attendance is down, some of this can be attributed to the effects of Covid. Talking to the office staff, I was told that an increase in advertising and sponsorships have more than made up the difference. The team isn't going anywhere and I just renewed my season tickets for next season.

The days of goon hockey are over. the FHL would be a disaster. I've watched a couple of their games online and I've seen better beer league players. The SPHL budgets are too high for Johnstown to afford. It's the NAHL or nothing for Johnstown.

Reactions: Captain Crash

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Actually real butts in the seats is 500 or less and closer to 300 in Johnstown.. the only time they crack 1000 is if they bring in a celebrity for a promotion.. JR hockey has run its course in Johnstown and is dead. ....

Complete garbage. I've been a season ticket holder for the Tomahawks since their first year and the attendance numbers reported are accurate. I know for a fact that the team has over 800 season ticket holders. Both games this weekend drew over 2,000 loud, rowdy fans. ...
The two of you should attend the same home game of the same Johnstown Tomahawks together sometime, and compare notes. :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Crash

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

I am with @Basil on this one. I have watch a few game highlights on YouTube for non-promotion night. They are easily getting 1,000 fans per game on non-primetime games. There are plenty of photos and videos on the Internet that back this up. Considering the War Memorial holds 4,000 people and most games easily look 1/3 to 1/2 full, that renders your claims inaccurate.

Basil

Mar 27, 2018
I am with @Basil on this one. I have watch a few game highlights on YouTube for non-promotion night. They are easily getting 1,000 fans per game on non-primetime games. There are plenty of photos and videos on the Internet that back this up. Considering the War Memorial holds 4,000 people and most games easily look 1/3 to 1/2 full, that renders your claims inaccurate.
It's no secret that the FHL has wanted to be in Johnstown. It would not surprise me if they were starting false rumors that the NAHL team is in trouble. They're not. Johnstown has a solid core of around 2,000 fans.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
It's no secret that the FHL has wanted to be in Johnstown. It would not surprise me if they were starting false rumors that the NAHL team is in trouble. They're not. Johnstown has a solid core of around 2,000 fans.

They also have the "You Can Run A Professional Hockey Team For $500k" advertising going for them so when markets start to appear in poor financial standing, they appear with that whole spiel.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

Truth. When the War Memorial lacked a tenant, the FHL came running. The arena had applications from both the FHL and NAHL, and chose juniors because it was more stable. There's no reason they'd go back on that decision now. Love it or hate it, this is the highest and most sustainable hockey for Johnstown.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

First paragraph states that the New Mexico Ice Wolves NA3HL team is a relocation of the Oklahoma City Blazers NA3HL team.
I find it very hard that the NAHL is going to succeed in a rink that barely sits 300 people and don't have a NA3HL team to help make up the difference for the inevitable financial loses they will face.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

First paragraph states that the New Mexico Ice Wolves NA3HL team is a relocation of the Oklahoma City Blazers NA3HL team.
I find it very hard that the NAHL is going to succeed in a rink that barely sits 300 people and don't have a NA3HL team to help make up the difference for the inevitable financial loses they will face
If you mean the Ice Wolves it does help that their organization does own the entire facility they play in. So they do offset a good portion of costs there

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Philadelphia Hockey Club moves from the USPHL to the EHL EHL Welcomes Philadelphia Hockey Club

And the Minnesota Sasquatch become the newest USPHL team

Have to say that's one of the coolest identities for a team I've seen in awhile.

There are a lot of late announcements this year. At some point teams are going to start going dark, the season starts in less than four months.

To note, PHC leaving the USPHL pretty much confirms their departure from the USPHL was likely motivated by their distate for the guaranteed losses that come with the NCDC team.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
There are a lot of late announcements this year. At some point teams are going to start going dark, the season starts in less than four months.

To note, PHC leaving the USPHL pretty much confirms their departure from the USPHL was likely motivated by their distate for the guaranteed losses that come with the NCDC team.
Yes we certainly seem to be a heavy additions phase of junior hockey silly season right now.

Also an update for anyone interested in the Minnesota Magicians to Wisconsin move, their new name will be the Wisconsin Windigo

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Yes we certainly seem to be a heavy additions phase of junior hockey silly season right now.

Also an update for anyone interested in the Minnesota Magicians to Wisconsin move, their new name will be the Wisconsin Windigo

The Twitter thread announcing the name of the team is one of the sadder ones I've had the pleasure of scrolling through. It is people stating their distaste for the team name and someone who appears to be the young one credited with the team name responding to individuals defending the choice and explaining the history.

• Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The Twitter thread announcing the name of the team is one of the sadder ones I've had the pleasure of scrolling through. It is people stating their distaste for the team name and someone who appears to be the young one credited with the team name responding to individuals defending the choice and explaining the history.
I missed that. I do wonder on the long term viability of the location given how small the community is. At the end of the day it's as good of a market as long as an owner is willing to spend money on it being there I guess.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I missed that. I do wonder on the long term viability of the location given how small the community is. At the end of the day it's as good of a market as long as an owner is willing to spend money on it being there I guess.

Long term viability is likely low. The county's whole population is 20,000. Small arena, small market, so unless they turn into the Janesville Jets and manage to integrate themselves into the greater community and rely on that core support I can't see them lasting more than 5 years.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
@mk80: I scooped you on the Windigo news. You need to get up earlier in the day to compete with me. :wally:
Missed that one completely, I'm coming off vacation and some family birthdays, so getting back into the swing of things. But usually you are quicker on the draw than I am for the news around here!

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Long term viability is likely low. The county's whole population is 20,000. Small arena, small market, so unless they turn into the Janesville Jets and manage to integrate themselves into the greater community and rely on that core support I can't see them lasting more than 5 years.
You may be right, but the support for the team in Richfield was not strong at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad