2022-23 Junior Hockey Additions and Subtractions

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
For the Magicians sake, I hope that's the paid attendance, being in the building on multiple occasions it's not anywhere near that unless 500 people walked over to the now closed American Legion for a bump.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
For the Magicians sake, I hope that's the paid attendance, being in the building on multiple occasions it's not anywhere near that unless 500 people walked over to the now closed American Legion for a bump.

USPHL tries the Pacific Northwest version 2.0. Also likely finishes off the WSHL.

Bellingham Blazers and Seattle Totem are from the WS, returning after two years of being dark.
Rogue Valley Rebels seems to be a second attempt at Medford, OR after the Southern Oregon Spartans died out.
Vernal Oilers were in the WSHL/CAJHL. Rock Springs, WY is north of Vernal and is a brand new team under Vernal's ownership.

Not sure how Vernal and Rock Springs are going to like the Northwest travel when Salt Lake City and its three USPHL Mountain division teams are between them and everyone else.

Reactions: mk80

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Time to get the Philadelphia Rebels jerseys out from the mothballs.

A sudden change for the NAHL's East Division: the Jamestown Rebels, which arrived in Jamestown after being relocated from a Philadelphia suburb, has been sold and will relocate to a different Philadelphia suburb for the 22-23 season.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Time to get the Philadelphia Rebels jerseys out from the mothballs. ...
I had my Aston Rebels jersey all cued up to wear to the Robertson Cup Championships, until the Titans spoiled it. Maybe the new team owners were anxious to get moving, and instructed the players to hand the East title to NJ. :sarcasm:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
That seems to be the better model for the NAHL eastern teams.

Pure speculation on my part for a moment but I wonder if there's a return of the NA3HL Southern Tier XPress in Jamestown in the future?

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Now it's starting to add up, this is the Philadelphia Hockey Club ownership group? So they drop one from NCDC to EHL and then bring this Tier II option in.

This more or less confirms it was a political difference with the USPHL rather than a financial one. Teams like Rochester Monarchs couldn't keep up financially while having a free to play team. The PHC ownership clearly wants free to play hockey in the barn, they just ideologically disagree with the USPHL. This is made even more clear by the fact their youth teams have left the USPHL's new youth system.

Time to get the Philadelphia Rebels jerseys out from the mothballs.

A sudden change for the NAHL's East Division: the Jamestown Rebels, which arrived in Jamestown after being relocated from a Philadelphia suburb, has been sold and will relocate to a different Philadelphia suburb for the 22-23 season.

That's a shame. They looked like they could start being a solid, yet unspectacular market. They were drawing in just shy of 1,000 per game most of last season and interest around town was increasing. I doubt they'll draw anyone in southern NJ.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
That seems to be the better model for the NAHL eastern teams.

Pure speculation on my part for a moment but I wonder if there's a return of the NA3HL Southern Tier XPress in Jamestown in the future?

This local article quotes the facility director as stating that they want junior hockey back as soon as possible

kij

Jan 31, 2016

This local article quotes the facility director as stating that they want junior hockey back as soon as possible
That's a market that the NAHL and its umbrella shoved multiple other options out of (primarily the GMHL but with threats from the USPHL as well) and honestly, they have been an incredibly valuable market. I would be shocked if the NAHL didn't do everything in their power to put a team back in there in some capacity. Especially with the facility and attendance.

Would attendance drop with now a third new franchise coming in over the past 7 years? Maybe. But someone should be there. It may be a little late in the game but worse options have been explored.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
That's a market that the NAHL and its umbrella shoved multiple other options out of (primarily the GMHL but with threats from the USPHL as well) and honestly, they have been an incredibly valuable market. I would be shocked if the NAHL didn't do everything in their power to put a team back in there in some capacity. Especially with the facility and attendance.

Would attendance drop with now a third new franchise coming in over the past 7 years? Maybe. But someone should be there. It may be a little late in the game but worse options have been explored.
Nice facility, but attendance? I haven't seen that be very impressive.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Nice facility, but attendance? I haven't seen that be very impressive.

Last half of this past season their attendance was in the 800-1000 range. Break even point in the NAHL is generally 1000 in attendance. Considering this was considered to be a poisoned market by many after the Jamestown Jets/Jamestown Ironmen debacle the NAHL instigated in 2011.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The Detroit Fighting Irish of USPHL Premier have been sold, rebranded, and are moving to suburban Chicago

PressRelease.png

Edit: Also apparently the Danbury Hattricks franchise has officially been purchased from the Wilkes-barre/Scranton Knights ownership? I had assumed that was already the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Chicago Crush will call the Addison Ice Arena its home rink for the 2022-23 inaugural season. Centrally located in the western suburbs of Chicago will allow easy access for both players and hockey fans.
I defy anyone to identify one square foot of the western suburbs of Chicago that qualifies as providing "easy access for both players and hockey fans." :nono:

• Haha
Reactions: PipeDream and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I defy anyone to identify one square foot of the western suburbs of Chicago that qualifies as providing "easy access for both players and hockey fans." :nono:
Between the traffic and the toll roads it's always a battle to get through that area.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Can't say I'm surprised by the former WSHL teams creating a West division of the NCDC

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Can't say I'm surprised by the former WSHL teams creating a West division of the NCDC

Appears to be like some of the same members of the C1HL, the free to play version of the WSHL that never came to be.

I wonder whether they will keep their Premier teams to truly keep in line with the USPHL model.

Regardless, more free to play hockey is good. Most of those teams get a lot of fans so hopefully it will be a slightly more legitimate version of the NCDC.

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Appears to be like some of the same members of the C1HL, the free to play version of the WSHL that never came to be.

I wonder whether they will keep their Premier teams to truly keep in line with the USPHL model.

Regardless, more free to play hockey is good. Most of those teams get a lot of fans so hopefully it will be a slightly more legitimate version of the NCDC.
What are your thoughts on this? A couple of years ago you could have argued that this may dilute the Tier 2 talent out too much, but with the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility and the overall growth of the game this may work out?

Can't forget about a new Tier 1 league out west next year as well.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
What are your thoughts on this? A couple of years ago you could have argued that this may dilute the Tier 2 talent out too much, but with the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility and the overall growth of the game this may work out?

Can't forget about a new Tier 1 league out west next year as well.

"More free to play hockey is good" is meant purely from a player's and parent's prospective. From every other point of view, scout, coach, general manager, etc., it serves no purpose other than to further water down a talent pool that over the course of 20 years has gone from an "in ground pool on a patio" to the "algae-filled kiddie pool in the living room of a mobile home" that we see today.

And you can forget about that new Tier I league out west next year. No news in the months since the initial release is enough to say that it isn't happening. Not a difficult thing to imagine especially considering the league owner said "he isn't here to compete with anyone," which is the main purpose of a junior hockey league.

Reactions: PipeDream

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
A big question is I wonder if this development maybe pushes the NAHL/ USA Hockey to rapidly push their long talked about Pacific Northwest/ western desires.

Their battle for real estate seems to have slowed down on the east coast in recent years though.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
A big question is I wonder if this development maybe pushes the NAHL/ USA Hockey to rapidly push their long talked about Pacific Northwest/ western desires.

Their battle for real estate seems to have slowed down on the east coast in recent years though.

The formation of the NCDC is what sparked the NAHL's push for a legitimate East Coast division. Wouldn't be hard to imagine the NCDC West does the same.

Battle for real estate has slowed down because the NAHL won the battle. The truly legitimate NCAA D1 prospects are going NAHL now instead of USPHL.

Reactions: mk80 and JMCx4

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
USPHL - NCDC
Filtering this down to the "new Tier 2 organizations", thoughts or insight into these groups (coaches, management teams, facilities)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad