2022-23 Junior Hockey Additions and Subtractions

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Feel free to add by commenting with links...

ADDITIONS
Eastern Hockey League
Eastern Hockey League Premier
NAHL
  • Minnesota Magicians -> Wisconsin Wendigo (Eagle River, WI)
  • Wichita Falls Warriors -> Oklahoma Warriors (Oklahoma City, OK)
  • Jamestown Rebels -> Washington Township, NJ
    • Jamestown Rebels sold and relocated to Philadelphia, PA
    • Will play in the same facility under the same ownership as the former NCDC Philadelphia Hockey Club
    • Were attracting crowds between 900-1000 in Jamestown, no reason for the sale given by former Family Guy producers Ken Dennis
NA3HL
USPHL - NCDC
USPHL - Premier/Elite
USPHL Premier

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Interesting development out of Idaho Falls. Job posting on AHCA with heavy hints towards currently the NA3HL playing out of the new arena they have under construction. Stated to be playing in 2022-23 starting this fall, but nothing official from the NA3HL website. (New Idaho Falls Hockey team to play in NA3HL - Local News 8)

Assuming ownership also owns the minor league baseball Idaho Falls Chukars. News releases from Idaho Falls Chukars make it seem like it is a done deal, with over 1,000 season tickets sold. Team name is supposedly down to Sturgeon, Freedom Gliders, and Spud Kings according to the team name vote.

Eastern Idaho Falls Junior Hockey Tier III- Head Coaching Position

Eastern Idaho Junior Hockey is seeking to hire a head coach to lead an expansion Tier III junior hockey team for the 2022-23 season.

The newly formed team will operate out of the Mountain America Center and Hero Arena in Idaho Falls, ID.

The person that is hired to fill this role will not only lead the team on the ice, but will possess core values that align with promoting education, leadership, proper work ethic, and values that align well with the organization and venue.

Primary duties to include:

-Recruiting on annual basis to fill all roster positions in accordance with league rules
-Oversee scheduling of practices and games with venue operator
-Oversee all on ice and off ice practice planning to promote the growth of players
-Organize all travel arrangements for away games, including meals, hotel, and transportation
-Lead organization in community centered activities to promote a positive atmosphere and involvement with organizations around the Idaho Falls region
-Work closely with billet and education coordinator to ensure player well being
-Oversee the team equipment budget on an annual basis
-Work closely with ownership to ensure proper budgeting for ice time, travel, recruiting, and additional staff positions
-Lead multiple off season recruiting camps in Idaho Falls and surrounding region
-Responsible for upholding team and player image inline with community values

Opportunity for private lessons available, as well as additional revenue for camps and clinics.

Experience Requirements-

Level 4 USA Hockey certificate OR equivalent education required
Extensive knowledge and experience in either junior hockey or NCAA Div I/III hockey
5+ years or recruiting experience
Head coaching experience preferred
Experience managing large equipment orders, budgets, and travel arrangements preferred
Knowledge of Safesport required

All serious candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and three qualified references to Kevin Greene- [email protected].

Posted on 03/22/2022

Going into its Inaugural Season at the Mountain America Center this Fall, East Idaho Hockey is proud to announce they have just passed 1,000 season tickets sold as of January 31st, 2022.
East Idaho Hockey, whose season is set to start in the fall of 2022, began selling season tickets in October of 2021. Since season tickets have been on sale East Idaho Hockey has seen an incredible amount of community support and excitement. The team is set to play Junior A Hockey at the Mountain America Center, currently under construction in Snake River Landing, which will seat 4,100 fans.
When asked about this achievement, East Idaho Hockey President Kevin Greene says, “I never would have guessed we would reach this milestone so early. This is clearly a huge hockey town, so we would encourage anyone interested in season seats, club level seats, advertising opportunities, or group tickets to reach out to us now.”

If interested in purchasing season tickets for the hockey team or any other inquires, stop by the Idaho Falls Chukars business office located at Melaleuca Field or call the office at 208-522-8363.

Once again with junior hockey, it's only official when the league announces something

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021

What do you think happened here?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

What do you think happened here?

They dropped their juniors program according to their website. They are doing the typical "U18 and down" structure, two teams at just about every level. Likely split with the USPHL since the USPHL took the a lot of the AYHL and made that new youth hockey league. I can't imagine it is anything other than a profit and ideological split.

Juniors is not always a profitable institution. NCDC is a guaranteed money loser. Rumor around here had the new Mercer Chiefs NCDC franchise previously belong to PHC.

hockeydude12345

Jan 8, 2020
PHC is very scummy. They knew they were going to lose their NCDC, but yet they still had a NCDC prospects tournament immediately after their season ended, and before this announcement.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Interesting development out of Idaho Falls. Job posting on AHCA with heavy hints towards currently the NA3HL playing out of the new arena they have under construction. Stated to be playing in 2022-23 starting this fall, but nothing official from the NA3HL website. (New Idaho Falls Hockey team to play in NA3HL - Local News 8)

Assuming ownership also owns the minor league baseball Idaho Falls Chukars. News releases from Idaho Falls Chukars make it seem like it is a done deal, with over 1,000 season tickets sold. Team name is supposedly down to Sturgeon, Freedom Gliders, and Spud Kings according to the team name vote.

Seems like a large arena just to have USPHL hockey. But to each their own. That Spud Kings name is too good to pass up in my opinion.

Reactions: Roadhog

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Seems like a large arena just to have USPHL hockey. But to each their own. That Spud Kings name is too good to pass up in my opinion.

It seems like a good NAHL market if they ever resume their northwestern push.

It is certainly far larger than any of the NA3HL Frontier Division barns and crowd wise dwarf everyone but Helena. USPHL Premier was likely chosen because travel might be easier.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It seems like a good NAHL market if they ever resume their northwestern push.

It is certainly far larger than any of the NA3HL Frontier Division barns and crowd wise dwarf everyone but Helena. USPHL Premier was likely chosen because travel might be easier.
I agree, it would be great for NAHL hockey if they ever do get a more western presence again

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Wichita Falls relocating to OKC

That is a shame. It seems like they had solid ownership and attendance was solid, especially in the competitive south. Any reason given for why they were sold? That arena has seen a lot of hockey turnover. Possible issue with the city?

Blazers Ice Center? The rink that sits maybe 300 people? That is going to host NAHL hockey. I am guessing OKC Blazers in the NA3HL bought the team and will attempt to run it like the Northeast Generals and pray they break even. These two offseason relocations are certainly downgrades.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The only two options I can think of in Oklahoma City are Prairie Surf Studios which as recently as 2015 hosted AHL hockey and Blazers Ice Center, home of the current NA3HL OKC Blazers. One sits 13,000 for hockey. The other sits 300. This is not going to end well...
Maybe the team is working its way north toward the Kansas City area, in anticipation of Lamar Hunt, Jr. finally completing his new arena in the next couple of years & buying back in to the NAHL. :badidea:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
That is a shame. It seems like they had solid ownership and attendance was solid, especially in the competitive south. Any reason given for why they were sold? That arena has seen a lot of hockey turnover. Possible issue with the city?

Blazers Ice Center? The rink that sits maybe 300 people? That is going to host NAHL hockey. I am guessing OKC Blazers in the NA3HL bought the team and will attempt to run it like the Northeast Generals and pray they break even. These two offseason relocations are certainly downgrades.
Looking at their attendance average of 351 for the season I wouldn't exactly say solid. They've had a lot of staff turnover this season as well. NAHL Game Center | North American Hockey League | NAHL

I forget who told me, but I had heard the break even attendance figure for NAHL teams is 1,000 fans. Now there are some teams like Janesville, Chippewa etc. who sell out most nights but their rink only seats like 500 people. And some of the eastern teams, like Danbury, Northeast, New Jersey are not as attendance dependent and funded by other means.

Edit: As for the 3HL Ice Hawks well their Facebook and twitter accounts are suspended so maybe some connection to this? https://twitter.com/okcicehawks

Update Edit #2: Upon going through the NA3HL Ice Hawk website, their social media links go to unused OKC Blazers pages https://twitter.com/okcblazers Oklahoma City Blazers Login • Instagram

Update Edit #3: The NAHL website has the coming soon team page put up as the OKC Warriors, essentially a rebranded logo that replaces the Texas outline on the shield with some spears Oklahoma Warriors | North American Hockey League | NAHL

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Looking at their attendance average of 351 for the season I wouldn't exactly say solid. They've had a lot of staff turnover this season as well. NAHL Game Center | North American Hockey League | NAHL

I forget who told me, but I had heard the break even attendance figure for NAHL teams is 1,000 fans. Now there are some teams like Janesville, Chippewa etc. who sell out most nights but their rink only seats like 500 people. And some of the eastern teams, like Danbury, Northeast, New Jersey are not as attendance dependent and funded by other means.

Edit: As for the 3HL Ice Hawks well their Facebook and twitter accounts are suspended so maybe some connection to this? https://twitter.com/okcicehawks

Update Edit #2: Upon going through the NA3HL Ice Hawk website, their social media links go to unused OKC Blazers pages https://twitter.com/okcblazers Oklahoma City Blazers Login • Instagram

Update Edit #3: The NAHL website has the coming soon team page put up as the OKC Warriors, essentially a rebranded logo that replaces the Texas outline on the shield with some spears Oklahoma Warriors | North American Hockey League | NAHL

HockeyDB puts it at just over 1,000. Wichita Falls Warriors yearly attendance at hockeydb.com
The league website is notoriously inaccurate, look at the El Paso numbers.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Interesting, you would think the league would have a more accurate number. I guess my teachers and professors were right in saying “always get a second source”

All good, the NA3HL for one reason or another keeps more accurate tabs. You would think with it being the first place you look teams would want more accurate counts. New Mexico has announced attendances for three games. One would think such a young team would want to advertise their attendance count.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
USPHL Premier adds the Battle Creek Kernels

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Atlanta MadHatters ownership adds Premier and Elite teams out of metro Nashville

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Atlanta MadHatters ownership adds Premier and Elite teams out of metro Nashville
Joshua Boyd must be seeking extra credit in his junior high Expressive Journalism class ...
They will play out of Gary Force Acura Ice Arena in Nolensville, Tenn., a vibrant and growing mini-metropolis about 20 miles outside of Nashville proper that is home to Carrie Underwood as well as other local celebrities.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
To add some insight into the NAHL website attendance numbers getting butchered, what tends to happen is the team doesn't have a number until after the game, so when doing the box score it is listed as 0. Then they either forget to update it, don't care enough, the portal times them out, or the arena wifi hits the fan at some point and a number of items are lost to the ether. In the end, the attendance listed on the website is 0 and that drags down the averages.

As for Wichita, wow is that disappointing to lose another team in that market. Had to expect with OKC and El Paso leaving the WSHL for the 3HL that something bigger was in the works for both of them and here we have it.

Idaho Falls having 1,000 season ticket holders for tier 3, that is promising but will it last? You'd like to see a team with that kind of market and a brand new arena to be pushing to jump up a level, which the NAHL would probably allow but they need at least two more frontier teams to join up with the Alaska Three to make anything work in Idaho. We shall see how that team evolves but sounds strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad