GWT: 2022-23 - English Domestic Cups (FA/Carabao)

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Rashford is the Jayson Tatum of football
At least Rashford hasn't been quoted saying "humbly I'm one of the best players in the world" after bricking every shot for 3 quarters. Tatum gets a lot of credit for scoring in bunches and being awful for large stretches.

-- a disgruntled 76ers fan

Reactions: Gecklund

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
At least Rashford hasn't been quoted saying "humbly I'm one of the best players in the world" after bricking every shot for 3 quarters. Tatum gets a lot of credit for scoring in bunches and being awful for large stretches.

-- a disgruntled 76ers fan
Aye sorry mate

Tatum is a Kobe fan, no wonder he is an inconsistent chucker

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He is 2nd in mistakes leading to goals in PL since 2016, that absolutely screams ”consistant” to you?
And I don’t know how anyone can say he is good in the air with a straight face.
I'd like to see the source and see who number 1 is as well.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So literally inconsistent…
Consistency is overrated.

On net, De Gea made a massive positive difference in United's fortunes over the top 5-8 years. Easily top 5 in the world in terms of net impact over his peak period.

And a comparison of minutes played since then. How many keepers have been locked in starters for those 7-8 years?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Honestly United kept City in far better check than I expected them to. But Gundogan was too good at times and United didn't create much of danger.
United's lack of depth cost any chance of better challenging for the win. Antony injured, Martial injured. There's no threat from the bench what so ever.

xG:Man City (1.22) 2-1 (1.89) Man Utd

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So literally inconsistent…
That’s not what that means. And the fact that you can’t see that just shows how horrible of an argument you have. Also the fact that you literally have Arsenal fans defending De Gea should also show you that you’re just wrong.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Who was that that ETH just embraced after picking up his medal?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Consistency is overrated.

On net, De Gea made a massive positive difference in United's fortunes over the top 5-8 years. Easily top 5 in the world in terms of net impact over his peak period.

And a comparison of minutes played since then. How many keepers have been locked in starters for those 7-8 years?
Yup. I imagine DDG and #1 are probably top 2 because they’ve played the most minutes. And even then DDG’s will mostly concentrated in the last few years, when he’s faced the steepest drop off in his ability.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
That’s not what that means. And the fact that you can’t see that just shows how horrible of an argument you have. Also the fact that you literally have Arsenal fans defending De Gea should also show you that you’re just wrong.
Yeah, Arsenal fans on HFboards is a better argument that Premier League stats :laugh:

Defenition of consistency is :
”the quality of always behaving or performing in a similar way, or of always happening in a similar way”

So him stopping a team entirely while being world class in some games while also making the most mistakes doesn’t mean he is inconsistent?

Number one is Pickford, and the source is Premier Leagues homesite.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Number one is Pickford, and the source is Premier Leagues homesite.
Yes, Pickford has 16 errors starting from the 2016-17 season. 18 overall.

What is also evident from those stats is that De Gea's gone multiple seasons without errors in that time period.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Losing Gundogan is honestly going to be a bigger deal than I think a lot of us appreciate right now. He's been unreal the last few seasons.

A midfield with him and Odegaard would be such a dream, but I'm trying to keep my hopes in check, figure Barca is a lot more likely. Nice to be in the conversation though lol

Reactions: KJS14

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
De Gea was overrated insofar as some people claimed he was the best keeper in the world at the same time as Neuer was having a generational peak and lapping the field.

I think his flash and dramatic saves also led to him getting overrated vis-a-vis other less sexy keepers (specifically Courtois IMO).

But there’s no doubt that, for a sustained period, he was a world class keeper. I’d have him as the third best of the 2010s behind the other two I’ve mentioned here.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
De Gea was overrated insofar as some people claimed he was the best keeper in the world at the same time as Neuer was having a generational peak and lapping the field.

I think his flash and dramatic saves also led to him getting overrated vis-a-vis other less sexy keepers (specifically Courtois IMO).

But there’s no doubt that, for a sustained period, he was a world class keeper. I’d have him as the third best of the 2010s behind the other two I’ve mentioned here.
Fair take. I've been on record saying that he would have a drastic fall off due to his play style, in that his diving and reflexes would obviously be the first to go and his game is super reliant on that. I didn't take into account the evolution the position would go through that would be the ultimate reason of his demise. Definitely not the best goalie of his generation, but an easy pick at being a top 5 guy and a very obvious world class player during his peak and prime.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
De Gea also has literally gave them points in a ton of games over those seasons. For a goal keeper, being world class at shot stopping sure as f*** makes you a world class keeper. That’s the entire damn position.
Not arguing re de gea but there’s a lot more to the position that shot stopping, especially in the modern game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad