GWT: 2022-23 - English Domestic Cups (FA/Carabao)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Would you have him higher or lower?
I think 3 might be high, but only barely. DDG is for sure top 5 though. I think my top 5 would be

1) Neuer(very easy 1 here) followed by in no order:

Courtois
MtS
DDG
Navas(Maybe Buffon I went back and forth between those two)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean MtS had way more games played in the 2010’s than Allison.
Also fair but I think Alisson at Roma is closer to the current edition than MATS at Monchengladbach. MatS always had talent but he skyrocketed after his move to Spain. Alisson was starting to (for lack of a better word) start for Brazil when he was at Roma

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Also fair but I think Alisson at Roma is closer to the current edition than MATS at Monchengladbach. MatS always had talent but he skyrocketed after his move to Spain. Alisson was starting to (for lack of a better word) start for Brazil when he was at Roma
I mean MtS at BMG was already very very good. @cgf would remember better than me but he was one of the best goalies in the Buli at age 20-21 IIRC. Allison was good at Roma but he was in Brazil for a good chunk of the 10’s.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So on another topic, I'm a little surprised our "resident" Man City "fan" hasn't showed up to brag about City winning this or the league (that I noticed).

Although I suppose it would fit for him to wait until after the CL to really go all in on the "City is the best team in history this year" angle. Of course if they lose he'll likely just ghost things for a while as usual.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So on another topic, I'm a little surprised our "resident" Man City "fan" hasn't showed up to brag about City winning this or the league (that I noticed).

Although I suppose it would fit for him to wait until after the CL to really go all in on the "City is the best team in history this year" angle. Of course if they lose he'll likely just ghost things for a while as usual.
City fans don’t even care when they win

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean MtS at BMG was already very very good. @cgf would remember better than me but he was one of the best goalies in the Buli at age 20-21 IIRC. Allison was good at Roma but he was in Brazil for a good chunk of the 10’s.

Yeah, MAtS was a monster for Gladbach. Leno had the most non-Neuer hype in german circles, but from the instant ter Stegen took over for Gladbach's senior team he was a commanding presence behind their backline.

His ball-playing is probably the area he's improved most since going to spain, but even that wasn't ever a weakness. Our youth keepers seem to be getting good again...but ter Stegen & Neuer were just unreal from around the age of 20 onwards.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Figured as such. Ter Stegen, to me, is the victim of the timespan here. Wasn’t starter at Barcelona until 2016.

I would challenge that with not only his time with Gladbach prior to that, but also the fact that in 2014-15 he was Barca’s CL keeper and they won the competition with him being in the UEFA squad of the tournament.

Keylor Navas was another I was thinking too.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
A midfield with him and Odegaard would be such a dream, but I'm trying to keep my hopes in check, figure Barca is a lot more likely. Nice to be in the conversation though lol
Gun won City the PL title last year when it seemed lost. Still shocked at that ending.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Gun won City the PL title last year when it seemed lost. Still shocked at that ending.

It's kind of funny that for quite some time after Pep brought him, people still considered him underwhelming. Truly a player that has matured well, which is why I wouldn't be worried about him slowing down too much right away

Reactions: cgf and LOGiK

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

There's a City fan here??

Reactions: luiginb

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
There's a City fan here??
As for nothing off the pitch or the shenanigans they are up to financially or otherwise.... I watch them often strictly for football just for the sheer amount of talent in one place.

Plus it's nice to have a giant, because all giants fall. So the chaos of that time is worth the wait.

But I watch a few other top league clubs. I don't live in UK or in europe for that matter so I don't really care (as I would if I lived somewhere in Europe)=]

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yea there’s one guy who shows up every so often to try to gloat. GeorgeLeafer or something like that.
You can't really tell what club team he's supporting really though. It's like his threads are just attention seekers or something. Just looking at the ones in the International Tournament section... :huh:

Reactions: Gecklund

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Top 10 keepers in the 10s are neuer, MATS, Buffon, Lloris, Courtois, Cech, Navas, DDG, Handanovic, and Oblak

I don't know enough about assessing keepers to argue too vehemently...but I would think Sommer has a shout for top 10. He got to Basel right at the start of the decade & quickly became a top-tier keeper for them, shining even at the CL level.

And his Gladbach tenure was fantastic from day 1. MAtS was a bit better as a shot-stopper...with penalties being the biggest difference between them...but Sommer was an even better passer/dribbler, and an excellent stopper in his own right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad