GWT: 2022-23 - English Domestic Cups (FA/Carabao)

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It was the second movement that did him in.

First position was natural, but it’s the second movement where it comes up to meet the ball.

It’s totally accidental and he knows nothing about it, but that’s the rules right now.
I still don't think that second position is unnatural. He's trying to readjust his balance after jumping and the proximity of ball to hand also makes it a bad call.

Ref just wanted to make this a game because United wasn't creating anything so far.

Edit: Also the fact that VAR didn't have the ref look at Casemiro's foul but stopped play for that lol

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
If they wouldn’t have called that then they might as well get rid of handballs all together unless someone literally punches the ball tbh. He made himself a lot bigger and his hand moved towards the ball.

City probably should’ve gotten a penalty on Fred/KDB situation tho.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I still don't think that second position is unnatural. He's trying to readjust his balance after jumping and the proximity of ball to hand also makes it a bad call.

Ref just wanted to make this a game because United wasn't creating anything so far.

Edit: Also the fact that VAR didn't have the ref look at Casemiro's foul but stopped play for that lol
The fact that his hand was above his head doesn't play in his favor. No mercy for that in the rules.

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If they wouldn’t have called that then they might as well get rid of handballs all together unless someone literally punches the ball tbh. He made himself a lot bigger and his hand moved towards the ball.

City probably should’ve gotten a penalty on Fred/KDB situation tho.

The Casemiro tackle was definitely a little orange.

The Fred/KDB one is just a player stepping in front of another to shield the ball. The fact that Fred was able to get the back of his leg in front of KDB is what negates the foul.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
The fact the his hand was above his head doesn't play in his favor. No mercy for that in the rules.
Try jumping in the air for a ball without having your hands come up as you land...

Again, the fact they didn't look at Casemiro's foul and stopped play for that just makes it comical. And we already know that the VAR ref is a United fan.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Exactly. Your arms go up when you plant, that’s how jumping works. By the time Grealish even swivels his head the ball hits him.

Reactions: KJS14

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
United can't match City's quality but they're doing what they should so far, outmuscling and outworking them.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Those who disagree with that penalty need to brush up on your hand ball rules.

PS: I don't say it SHOULD be given in a perfect world (the ball came from way too close), but it is always given according to the rules we have now (hand up too high and getting closer to the ball). Defenders just need to be more careful with their arms.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It would have even been a really really soft FK. It’s just Grealish feeling the lightest brush and acting like he got shot in the foot.
It was a weird one for sure. Grealish was expecting AWB to get the ball and ended up getting clipped (dragged his foot into it maybe). I'd give the free kick just because he missed the ball and then there was contact, but never a yellow

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Bernardo should have gotten a yellow for kicking that player
And Casemiro for that foul. This is something I always hated about him even back in his Real days. Whenever he'd make an orange card foul, he'd also get down to make it seem like nothing else but a coming together and he always got away with it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Feels refreshing to spend the whole halftime watching studio analyze the half (on BBC feed) instead of watching 10 minutes of commercials.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Those who disagree with that penalty need to brush up on your hand ball rules.

PS: I don't say it SHOULD be given in a perfect world (the ball came from way too close), but it is always given according to the rules we have now (hand up too high and getting closer to the ball). Defenders just need to be more careful with their arms.
Unless I'm googling wrong, it comes down to whether you think his hand is in an unnatural position or Grealish was trying to make himself bigger. And I'd challenge you to jump for a ball going over your head without your hand coming up like that.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Unless I'm googling wrong, it comes down to whether you think his hand is in an unnatural position or Grealish was trying to make himself bigger. And I'd challenge you to jump for a ball going over your head without your hand coming up like that.
Literally the way the rule is written on IFAB site.

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
  • scores in the opponents’ goal:
    • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
    • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

Nothing unnatural about Grealish’s arm position given his movement.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah I don’t think intent really matters about trying to make himself bigger. I might be wrong but that’s sort of the way I’ve always interpreted that part.

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s a weak call but it’s right by the rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad