2022-2023 Premier League (part one)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah, Tottenham is at 35M so 25M makes sense. But I still don't like the look

Oh for sure, it's not remotely independent and there's a 0% chance the deal gets made if Newcastle was bought by a random US billionaire instead of by the Saudi state, but at least they're not pumping fake money into the club like City was/is.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Oh for sure, it's not remotely independent and there's a 0% chance the deal gets made if Newcastle was bought by a random US billionaire instead of by the Saudi state, but at least they're not pumping fake money into the club like City was/is.
Yeah, but they can do funky things like pay it all at once or have weird bonuses or something that boost the revenue for a certain year to offset FFP.

Reactions: cgf

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Addiction or no, 8 months is insanely light for the stuff he was charged with. Guy was betting on his team to lose lol.
I don't think he was playing in any of the matches he bet on to lose though. I mean not that it makes it right, but it reduces the severity of it a little bit.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't think he was playing in any of the matches he bet on to lose though. I mean not that it makes it right, but it reduces the severity of it a little bit.
Typically, authorities come down pretty harshly on anything to do with betting irregularities by players. The fact that Toney bet on his own team to lose (true he wasn't playing, but he was definitely privy to team selection/inside information), bet on games he did participate in, and on top of that repeatedly lied to investigators, and got only 8 months, to me is astounding.

Daniel Sturridge got four months for one case of passing information on an impending transfer.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Addiction or no, 8 months is insanely light for the stuff he was charged with. Guy was betting on his team to lose lol.
No excuses. Love the player, probably could've sold him to united for a ridiculous fee, which sucks, but 8 months for betting on your own team to lose? No punishment would be too harsh.

Having an owner who bought the team from sport gambling winnings also adds a semblance of hypocrisy.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Typically, authorities come down pretty harshly on anything to do with betting irregularities by players. The fact that Toney bet on his own team to lose (true he wasn't playing, but he was definitely privy to team selection/inside information), bet on games he did participate in, and on top of that repeatedly lied to investigators, and got only 8 months, to me is astounding.

Daniel Sturridge got four months for one case of passing information on an impending transfer.
I agree that it sends an unfortunate message that the PL is pretty easy on gambling, which of course organized crime could see as an encouragement.

It doesn't help that the institution that handed down the punishment - the FA - is also an institution which might benefit from Toney's services in the future.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't see the issue with athletes betting on games. As long as they aren't fixing the games it should be no different than any other person betting. Sports betting is a career now for people, they research every little thing about players and teams. There are shows based on betting and talk about who will or won't play so everyone should be on the same playing field, athletes really have no edge anymore. So as long as they are not betting on games they are playing in then I see no issues with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad