2022-2023 Premier League (part one)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

This doesn't mean anything, the quality of injuries is more important. I am not sure if they have those stats in football, but they have "quality players lost for wins" analytics in hockey. I don't think Chelsea suffered an injury as bad as Saliba it was for Arsenal. I am not trying to turn this into a dick-measuring contest, but 2-3 impactful injuries are worse than having 6-7 depth injuries.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
This doesn't mean anything, the quality of injuries is more important. I am not sure if they have those stats in football, but they have "quality players lost for wins" analytics in hockey. I don't think Chelsea suffered an injury as bad as Saliba it was for Arsenal. I am not trying to turn this into a dick-measuring contest, but 2-3 impactful injuries are worse than having 6-7 depth injuries.
Our best player (James) and our best midfielder (Kante) missed basically the entire season lmao what in gods name are you talking about

Our 2x POTY played 24 games. Our starting LB played 23.

These weren’t depth injuries. Chelsea had long, sustained injuries to key players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Our best player (James) and our best midfielder (Kante) missed basically the entire season lmao what in gods name are you talking about

Our 2x POTY played 24 games. Our starting LB played 23.

These weren’t depth injuries. Chelsea had long, sustained injuries to key players.
James is a beast and a major loss, but Kante hasn't been healthy for like five seasons now. You bringing him up is hilarious. The matter of the story is that Peen only posted that showing that Chelsea was the most injured and I said that is flawed thinking. A smaller number of key injured players is more impactful on a team than a bunch of depth being injured. I am not saying that is what happened to Chelsea, but for all teams in general.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
James is a beast and a major loss, but Kante hasn't been healthy for like five seasons now. You bringing him up is hilarious. The matter of the story is that Peen only posted that showing that Chelsea was the most injured and I said that is flawed thinking. A smaller number of key injured players is more impactful on a team than a bunch of depth being injured. I am not saying that is what happened to Chelsea, but for all teams in general.
Saliba was a huge one in the context of pushing for a title, and frankly chelsea wouldn’t have pushed tor any titles.

But the squad was decimated most of Potter’s tenure. Just awful. And, it’s not just the ziyechs or whatever; significant players spent so mych of the season injured.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The teams at the top of the list had both Impact Injuries AND Depth Injuries. The teams at the bottom of the list had better injury luck. It doesn’t mean the teams at the bottom had GOOD injury luck, but it was BETTER injury luck

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The teams at the top of the list had both Impact Injuries AND Depth Injuries. The teams at the bottom of the list had better injury luck. It doesn’t mean the teams at the bottom had GOOD injury luck, but it was BETTER injury luck
I don't agree, if City lost Haaland, Dias, and one of Rodrigo/Silva, that's more impactful than Arsenal losing Tomiyasu, Lokonga, El Neny, Tierney, Holding, Veira, and Xhaka to injuries. The only chance somebody at the top of the list is more impacted by injuries is the probability that more injuries can lead to injuries to star players due to the sheer volume.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't agree, if City lost Haaland, Dias, and one of Rodrigo/Silva, that's more impactful than Arsenal losing Tomiyasu, Lokonga, El Neny, Tierney, Holding, Veira, and Xhaka to injuries. The only chance somebody at the top of the list is more impacted by injuries is the probability that more injuries can lead to injuries to star players due to the sheer volume.
That’s not what I’m saying though. The teams at the top of the list had both of these things happen. The teams at the bottom of the list did not

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That’s not what I’m saying though. The teams at the top of the list had both of these things happen. The teams at the bottom of the list did not
We don't know that, which is my main argument. There needs to be analytics that shows the quality of players lost instead of just having a bunch of players injured without any context to those players. I don't know if those players are Reece James or a bunch of secondary blokes that play in U23 games to keep fitness.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What is defense in that Liverpool midfield.
Hopefully Lavia? I guess? Fabinho is still around (lol). I guess they are trying to go the pre-Rodri City strats? But yeah I don’t know man. They had so much to do this summer and I guess they can’t do everything at once but they are going to be trying to win every game 4-2. Luckily they have one of the best keepers in the world but he might win a Purple Heart this season.

The guy that they really needed this summer was Caicedo but they chose not to go that route. The talent they are bringing in is nice but any team that can put them on the back foot is going to give them problems

Reactions: luiginb

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He’s Going to be in one of those hybrid roles. He still isn’t going to be doing a ton of defending. Don’t think it’s a big deal.
And I accept the argument that it was under Frank, but he really wasn't that successful in it here. I don't think he'd be dramatically better at it, even in a better situation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And I accept the argument that it was under Frank, but he really wasn't that successful in it here. I don't think he'd be dramatically better at it, even in a better situation.
that’s why it’s a interesting transfer. But going from Frank to Arteta….yeahhhhhh

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I'll be fascinated to see how long Havertz lasts in the midfield.
Will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last year, Xhaka had a lot of freedom to link up with Martinelli and Zinchenko on the left side. I expect Havertz will be in that role with even more freedom to get into the box, so we're maybe losing Xhaka's defensive presence but upgrading the attack. And Havertz might better complement Gabriel Jesus by running in behind when Jesus drops deep or to the wide areas.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
  • Haha
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad