Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
MacDermid isn't really the reason for the Avs struggles right now though. They almost won the President's trophy playing him 56 games last year. He's had some mistakes this year, but he barely plays. If you take out Bowers 1 shift he played this year, nobody has a lower average ice time than MacDermid.

I like Cal Burke and Foudy too, and hope they get another callup soon, but them not being in the lineup isn't why they're losing either. It's the top 9 guys not not scoring and shooting enough, and some sloppy coverage from defenseman that are losing these games.

The problem is the whole team outside of Mikko, Compher, and Cale, have not been consistent enough in their efforts this year. Fatigue and injuries probably play a part in that lack of consistency for some of the guys, but that's the biggest reason they're in this slump right now IMO.

They need more consistent positive efforts from a lot of guys, because they don't quite have all the game breakers they usually have to outscore some of their mistakes and sloppy periods.

The team last year did not have the same spate of injuries last year. They also could afford to play him sparingly due to better depth. That depth is gone.

Fact is they’re losing games because their top players are being driven into the ground. That’s why efforts are not consistent and we’re seeing uncharacteristic mistakes. There is no room for a guy like MacDermid who has to be heavily sheltered and limited in minutes in a situation like this.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The team last year did not have the same spate of injuries last year. They also could afford to play him sparingly due to better depth. That depth is gone.

Fact is they’re losing games because their top players are being driven into the ground. That’s why efforts are not consistent and we’re seeing uncharacteristic mistakes. There is no room for a guy like MacDermid who has to be heavily sheltered and limited in minutes in a situation like this.
Macdermid has to be heavily sheltered in every situation to be fair.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There was no reason not to put in a claim for Tolvanen with all the injuries, worst case scenario we could've just waived him again.
On a semi related note...

It's gonna be fun at the deadline when we have no cap space to trade for a 2C, even one at 50% retained. They are probably only banking on the return of injured players to fix the team at this point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

It's gonna be fun at the deadline when we have no cap space for a 2C.
If Manson is healthy, it wouldn't shock me to see the Avs work to dump EJ as they may not have another option to trim salary and maintain depth.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Manson is healthy, it wouldn't shock me to see the Avs work to dump EJ as they may not have another option to trim salary and maintain depth.
That's what I've been saying recently. It's their only way out.

Also I think EJ has value at 50% for a contender team in the East. Big RHD with cup pedigree. They all love that.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's what I've been saying recently. It's their only way out.

Also I think EJ has value at 50% for a contender team in the East. Big RHD with cup pedigree. They all love that.

Teams may love that, but they want to see better play than EJ has been giving too. Adding to that though, EJ has a NTC that could be restrictive for the Avs.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Teams may love that, but they want to see better play than EJ has been giving too. Adding to that though, EJ has a NTC that could be restrictive for the Avs.
He can be traded to 19 teams plus they can talk him into accepting the trade if they need to. It's his last year under contract anyway.

I don't think it will be an issue if they want to go that route, especially if he's traded to a real contender like Boston, Toronto or Carolina.

3M at the deadline doesn't take a ton of cap space.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He can be traded to 19 teams plus they can talk him into accepting the trade if they need to. It's his last year under contract anyway.

I don't think it will be an issue if they want to go that route, especially if he's traded to a real contender like Boston, Toronto or Carolina.

3M at the deadline doesn't take a ton of cap space.
Let's breakdown the NTC first. He probably had a structured a certain way this summer to prevent being traded easily or to a couple specific spots. I'd bet the Cali teams he's available to trade to (Avs won't to LA so would have to pay for Anaheim/SJ). So he could easily structure it away from the bad teams beyond that. Cancel out Arizona, Mtl, Philly, Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, etc. For ease of assumption, teams that were not in the playoffs (out side of Anaheim and San Jose), are probably on the list.

Those teams are also the ones who have cap space. There are currently only 7 teams that have a projected space of $3m at the deadline. The only one likely to add in that group is Minnesota... and the don't need defense (and EJ may have them on his NTC to begin with). There are only 6 more teams with 1+ min in projected at the deadline... 4 of those are in the West (so even if the Avs can, they won't). 2 are the Isles and Rangers. Isles and Rangers are stacked at RD. The next two teams that have any cap space are Stars and Kings... which are clearly nos for the Avs.

You can get into some LTIR on some of these teams, but the space there isn't amazing either.

The overall point is cap is tight across the league and if EJ and agent were wise with the NTC, they could make it pretty difficult to send him out... even with 50% retained.

I have major doubts EJ will agree to a trade off his list. He's already been vocal about wanting to come back.

Reactions: Roy33

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I have major doubts EJ will agree to a trade off his list. He's already been vocal about wanting to come back.
Well if he says no to a trade then he's definitely not coming back next year.

I'm not worried about him declining a trade for that reason alone.

In fact I think that if he's getting traded, he's getting traded at full cap hit for someone at full cap hit (like Domi) then he's getting flipped somewhere else.

Like I explained before, it makes no difference for the Hawks to retain on Domi or retain on EJ, either way it takes one retaining slot. So if they don't have to retain on Domi, they can retain on EJ and flip him for a pick.

Edit: I said Domi but it could be Horvat at full cap hit too.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well if he says no to a trade then he's definitely not coming back next year.

I'm not worried about him declining a trade for that reason alone.

In fact I think that if he's getting traded, he's getting traded at full cap hit for someone at full cap hit (like Domi) then he's getting flipped somewhere else.

Like I explained before, it makes no difference for the Hawks to retain on Domi or retain on EJ, either way it takes one retaining slot. So if they don't have to retain on Domi, they can retain on EJ and flip him for a pick.

Edit: I said Domi but it could be Horvat at full cap hit too.

I think it makes a pretty significant difference to the Hawks... they have Toews and Kane regardless. Then they need to find the best value for 4, maybe 5 other guys. Being picky on that last retention spot will help them. The Avs would have to convince then to use it on EJ vs others.

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC

It's gonna be fun at the deadline when we have no cap space to trade for a 2C, even one at 50% retained. They are probably only banking on the return of injured players to fix the team at this point.
I agree with your previous point. Sell and re-tool and fight another day. Just not our year no point making things worst down the road.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Also say goodbye to any playoff success. The Avs need to win now, once the core gets older this team will take a nosedive.
Gotta make the playoffs to have playoff success.

I have 0 idea what management is thinking right now. Between the off-season and the start it became apparent this team was going to struggle. I don't even know if this team when healthy would do much past the first round.

I agree with your previous point. Sell and re-tool and fight another day. Just not our year no point making things worst down the road.
I've voiced this opinion a few times. They got their cup. This group doesn't look like they'll be able to do it again. Figure out some values, who is worth investing in long term and make some savvy moves to fight for longer in the future even if it means they lose a year.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't even believe the team won the Cup. Never really believed it in the past either

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Any time a team re-tools there is zero guarantee it will work... and those that do, tend to take ~3-4 seasons at a minimum. I don't think that is acceptable at all. Maybe you make a difficult hockey trade to solve the center position, but that that's about as drastic as the team should go. They should be adding, not subtracting.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's the last year of Nate's steal of a contract. Byram, if he ever returns, still on his ELC. Rodrigues and Compher on good deals and likely their last year with the Avs. Top players in their prime.

Now is not the time to retool. You do whatever it takes to acquire a 2C and push forward. They can repeat this year, even if it looks bad right now.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What would you have him do!? He keeps putting guys like Meyers and Newhook out there in positions to succed and they're just failing right now.
Exactly, what the hell is supposed to do? Newhook, Meyers etc, suck ass and don't do a damn thing.

So it's either lose by 1 or lose by 5. Bednar is going for the lose close theory. I mean I guess a loss is a loss. But Bednar is trying to win, and can't play some of these bums on the roster right now.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's the last year of Nate's steal of a contract.
That's 100% negated by EJ who's playing like a 800k bottom pairing guy. The 6M that we "saved" with that contract we wasted it all on EJ.

That's like finding a $100 bill on the sidewalk and throwing it in the trash bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad