Rumor: 2022-2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: STILL searching for a 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With the loss tonight the Avs fall 5 points behind the Wild (no game in hand) for the 3rd and last playoff spot in the division. We also don't own the tie braker on any team because of too many OT/SO wins.

Both teams from Alberta are in the wildcard spots right now and are ahead of us. Both have been underachieving so far and I'd expect better results from both in the 2nd half of the season.

Our best bet right now is hoping for Seattle to come back to Earth but it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon (beat Toronto 5-1 tonight).

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
f*** off Bednar, there's no excuse for this
They get injured, burned out and we still lose
That's horseshit

He’s trying to win with what the Avs have. That’s his job and I don’t blame him for pushing in close games. Those ice times are much more the fault of the front office.

Though I would really like to see them come down.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He’s trying to win with what the Avs have. That’s his job and I don’t blame him for pushing in close games. Those ice times are much more the fault of the front office.

Though I would really like to see them come down.

I'm sure he would LOVE to hand some of those minutes to someone else. But who!?

If he plays them normally they'll be more effective and the risk of injury will go down

Sometimes less is more
Again, who are you handing those minutes to then? Meyers? Newhook? The ramshackle 4th line? It's just not plausible.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Again, who are you handing those minutes to then? Meyers? Newhook? The ramshackle 4th line?
Yes. Are we winning more because Makar plays more? Makar is less effective because he plays more. Toews has never be anywhere near this bad.

The price to not play the AHLers enough is higher than to play them more. Proof is in the pudding, look at the results.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If the Avs had the cojones to start the retool this year with their 1st round pick, avoid the cap crunch by selling this summer, and go for another window with Mack, Makar and Rants still in their prime in 2-3 years I'd be on board.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs had the cojones to start the retool this year with their 1st round pick, avoid the cap crunch by selling this summer, and go for another window with Mack, Makar and Rants still in their prime in 2-3 years I'd be on board.
They won’t do that. Teams never do.

That said, 3 years from now, MacK and Rants primes are over. They may hold off extreme regression, but they’ll be significantly worse hockey players than today and the last couple years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes. Are we winning more because Makar plays more? Makar is less effective because he plays more. Toews has never be anywhere near this bad.

The price to not play the AHLers enough is higher than to play them more. Proof is in the pudding, look at the results.

You want to see the Avs lose 6-2 instead of 4-2? Like it or not the reason they're even IN games is because the top guys are playing a ton of minutes.

Guys like Meyers, Newhook, and Kaut are struggling with even limited minutes. Give them more and the Avs won't just be losing games, they'll be getting run out of the goddamned building.

They can't even call up f***in' MALTSEV for f***'s sake! Even he would likely be playing an important role on the team right now.

One thing I'd do though, reunite Compher with LOC and Cogs. That line wasn't great but it could eat up effective minutes. And I'd argue the games for both of those wingers have completely imploded ever since Meyers took that center spot.

Put a kid line of Newhook-Meyers-Kaut out there for limited minutes. If they get killed out there, then maybe rotate Compher for some extra shifts.

Also, quit wasting any more goddamned time with MacDermid on the active roster. Shove his ass into the press box where he belongs and get an actual player on that 4th line. Call up Cal Burke, or Foudy, but do SOMETHING.

Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
With the loss tonight the Avs fall 5 points behind the Wild (no game in hand) for the 3rd and last playoff spot in the division. We also don't own the tie braker on any team because of too many OT/SO wins.

Both teams from Alberta are in the wildcard spots right now and are ahead of us. Both have been underachieving so far and I'd expect better results from both in the 2nd half of the season.

Our best bet right now is hoping for Seattle to come back to Earth but it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon (beat Toronto 5-1 tonight).

Avs are gonna have to go on a Blues-esque run to gain home ice. They're already running out of runway.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I had a dream last night the Avs picked up Jakub Vrana and swung a trade for Ryan Merkley by sending Martin Kaut to San Jose in a reclamation for reclamation trade, and then we sent Brad Hunt down to the AHL.

Trade aside, this team could have used an injection like Vrana into the lineup. F***ing figure out the cap as it becomes a problem, CMac. Don't be gun shy. Instead one of the best 5v5 scorers in the league was allowed to pass through waivers.

Reactions: The Moops

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Barely half. And it's not just the standings hole they have to dig themselves out of, it's the broken process. That's not going to happen overnight even when the team is healthy. They have a lot of bad habits to kick right now.
I hear ya bit I'm not concerned

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I want Hayes at 50% retention and Vrana.

Vrana replaces Burky and at basically the same cap hit. We desperately need someone who can score goals at 5 on 5 right now. Hayes has his worts but at 50% retention, you're getting a decent 2C for $3.6M for 3 more years. Avs winger depth is strong enough that they should be able to cover up Hayes shortcomings well enough.

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Hayes - Nuke
Vrana - JTC - ERod
LOC - Helm - Cogliano

Should be able to get Vrana for nothing considering he just passed through waivers. Hayes at 50% will cost a bit but still shouldn't be too much especially if Philly is already considering a buyout on him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also, quit wasting any more goddamned time with MacDermid on the active roster. Shove his ass into the press box where he belongs and get an actual player on that 4th line. Call up Cal Burke, or Foudy, but do SOMETHING.

MacDermid isn't really the reason for the Avs struggles right now though. They almost won the President's trophy playing him 56 games last year. He's had some mistakes this year, but he barely plays. If you take out Bowers 1 shift he played this year, nobody has a lower average ice time than MacDermid.

I like Cal Burke and Foudy too, and hope they get another callup soon, but them not being in the lineup isn't why they're losing either. It's the top 9 guys not not scoring and shooting enough, and some sloppy coverage from defenseman that are losing these games.

The problem is the whole team outside of Mikko, Compher, and Cale, have not been consistent enough in their efforts this year. Fatigue and injuries probably play a part in that lack of consistency for some of the guys, but that's the biggest reason they're in this slump right now IMO.

They need more consistent positive efforts from a lot of guys, because they don't quite have all the game breakers they usually have to outscore some of their mistakes and sloppy periods.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I want Hayes at 50% retention and Vrana.

Vrana replaces Burky and at basically the same cap hit. We desperately need someone who can score goals at 5 on 5 right now. Hayes has his worts but at 50% retention, you're getting a decent 2C for $3.6M for 3 more years. Avs winger depth is strong enough that they should be able to cover up Hayes shortcomings well enough.

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Hayes - Nuke
Vrana - JTC - ERod
LOC - Helm - Cogliano

Should be able to get Vrana for nothing considering he just passed through waivers. Hayes at 50% will cost a bit but still shouldn't be too much especially if Philly is already considering a buyout on him.
Vrana just was on an assistance program. Makes 5M+ next year and the Avs are starving for cap space. It would be pretty bold to use that space on a complete question mark.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
MacDermid isn't really the reason for the Avs struggles right now though. They almost won the President's trophy playing him 56 games last year. He's had some mistakes this year, but he barely plays. If you take out Bowers 1 shift he played this year, nobody has a lower average ice time than MacDermid.

I like Cal Burke and Foudy too, and hope they get another callup soon, but them not being in the lineup isn't why they're losing either. It's the top 9 guys not not scoring and shooting enough, and some sloppy coverage from defenseman that are losing these games.

The problem is the whole team outside of Mikko, Compher, and Cale, have not been consistent enough in their efforts this year. Fatigue and injuries probably play a part in that lack of consistency for some of the guys, but that's the biggest reason they're in this slump right now IMO.

They need more consistent positive efforts from a lot of guys, because they don't quite have all the game breakers they usually have to outscore some of their mistakes and sloppy periods.
I mean there’s a stark difference between last years team and this years team...

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
There was no reason not to put in a claim for Tolvanen with all the injuries, worst case scenario we could've just waived him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad