Prospect Info: 2022-2023 Coyotes Prospect General Discussion and Stats Weekly Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Wheeler says he would “re-work” the amateur scouting department. “Some of the wrong things” - obviously size.
IMG_5924.jpeg

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wheeler says he would “re-work” the amateur scouting department. “Some of the wrong things” - obviously size.
View attachment 726915
How many cup winning teams has Wheeler drafted again? Is his list any better or worse than Pronman's? Or Chris Peters?

What I do think is fair criticism is that our scouting department may be too trusted by BA. They may need a bit of a more devil's advocate to push the scouting department on their list but that being said the early returns (especially by certain scouts) are very positive so I could be talking out of my ass on this. I just get the sense that the AZ scouts are given free rein on putting together this list and that BA goes out of his way to empower them. I don't even know if this is a bad thing or just a thing. Maybe we put too much emphasis on size. Maybe we don't.

I do know we can judge the picks this team makes accordingly. If But isn't as good as say Matthew Wood 2-3 years from now then we should be talking about it. Same if Simashev isn't looking like the best D in the draft or a guy with top pairing upside. We should be talking about that. Right now we are in the afterglow of a draft and are looking for validation on the guys we took. I'm excited but will comment on how I see it when the games start up in fall.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Draft day was a kick in the nads. So disappointing.

I know we have a fantastic scouting team and obviously they know way more than I do. As @hbk said, proof will be a couple years down the road.

It is going to hurt every time I see a Leonard or Benson highlight the next 2 years while our Russian guys are still overseas.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Draft day was a kick in the nads. So disappointing.

I know we have a fantastic scouting team and obviously they know way more than I do. As @hbk said, proof will be a couple years down the road.

It is going to hurt every time I see a Leonard or Benson highlight the next 2 years while our Russian guys are still overseas.

But at 12 wasn't a reach. if you go back to the draft day thread and when the tagline of "big swings" and "expect the unexpected" came out, my immediate response was "But at 12?". Simashev is the question at 6 and Leonard and Bensen are the guys we should be watching (along with Michkov but I'm of the belief that there is some fire to the smoke that he didn't want to play in AZ and was a dick in that meeting).

I didn't view draft day negatively though. We went with high upside. That being said we also went with projection and with the knowledge of the risk of the Russian factor and the timeline that we are looking at for development to the point they are everyday NHL players (But could be Wheeleresque where it takes 5 years). I'm actually super pumped to watch some KHL games next year. Should be awesome.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
But at 12 wasn't a reach. if you go back to the draft day thread and when the tagline of "big swings" and "expect the unexpected" came out, my immediate response was "But at 12?". Simashev is the question at 6 and Leonard and Bensen are the guys we should be watching (along with Michkov but I'm of the belief that there is some fire to the smoke that he didn't want to play in AZ and was a dick in that meeting).

I didn't view draft day negatively though. We went with high upside. That being said we also went with projection and with the knowledge of the risk of the Russian factor and the timeline that we are looking at for development to the point they are everyday NHL players (But could be Wheeleresque where it takes 5 years). I'm actually super pumped to watch some KHL games next year. Should be awesome.
Simashev is a worry. His rankings were all over the place. Some had him possibly in the third round (as per THN draft preview) because he is neither a physical D nor a top offense generator. Limited upside is what I have seen.

Of course, I only go by what I have read. Dont know if I have ever seen more than a few highlights.

And I famously begged the Coyotes not draft Quinn Hughes because his game would never translate to the NHL.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Simashev is a worry. His rankings were all over the place. Some had him possibly in the third round (as per THN draft preview) because he is neither a physical D nor a top offense generator. Limited upside is what I have seen.

Of course, I only go by what I have read. Dont know if I have ever seen more than a few highlights.

And I famously begged the Coyotes not draft Quinn Hughes because his game would never translate to the NHL.
Simashov was a late riser but was always talked about as a D with incredible skating. Where there are concerns (largely because he was a young player in the KHL and the limited opportunities/prime minutes they play in the KHL) was the lack of offensive stats. Late this year when Pronman in particular had highlighted both Simashov and But as guys at the top of his draft list I started to ask if AZ had scouts with boots on the ground in Russia as this could be a competitive advantage given all the "fear" associated with Russian prospects that was being discussed at the time (mainly in regards to Michkov). Given all the talk of doing background checks and getting to know the character of the player I didn't think we would venture down this path at all unless we had someone with boots on the ground doing this level of due diligence. Of course, this is before the tournament in Belarus that everyone in our scouting group attended at the end of the season (and was one of the tournaments that got scouts talking about how good Simashev in particular was relative to the other D men in the draft).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The future

Did Geekie get his socks from his old man? Doan starting to look like his old man, and Guenther needs to drink more protein shakes.

Ha! I guess it is. Thanks.

On the topic of Geekie, I heard Morgan on PHNX say that Geekie and his coach had some struggles. Now with the Ice/Wild moving and getting a new coach he might get a fresh start.
With his size he should have dominated the WHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think i posted this 2 years ago when he was drafted.
Lamoureux put on some muscle for sure.
He said he's at, I think he said 220, and wants to be around 250, or something like that. Every time I see him, I think of his parents kissing in the stands. Poor guy will never live that one down, probably same goes for the parents.:laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Have they said if they're streaming the scrimmage? I know in person in attendance is limited to season ticket holders but didn't see anything about streaming.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Why did BA take this kid so high? Athlete, driven, and “pretty intelligent.”

Not long after he turned 18 in April, one of the first things Jonathan Castagna did was set up his own tax-free savings account, which allows him to manage his investment portfolio without having to consult his parents.
“Our scouts raved about how hard he played,” Coyotes GM Bill Armstrong said of Castagna. “That was the biggest thing. And then he tested and interviewed really well at the (NHL scouting) combine. For us, he was the full package. He’s a pretty intelligent, driven kid.”

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He said he's at, I think he said 220, and wants to be around 250, or something like that. Every time I see him, I think of his parents kissing in the stands. Poor guy will never live that one down, probably same goes for the parents.:laugh:
He said his goal for this season is 215, not 250.

I’m fine with the draft. Armstrong, Plandowski, Hepple and John Ferguson Jr is quite a staff when it comes to resumes and reputations. They have to actually screw something up before I start to doubt them. Disappointing Scott Wheeler is somewhere below a mouse fart on my list of concerns.

Ilya is getting all the souvenirs, he knows SKA will never let him come back :laugh:
View attachment 727011
If this kid loves Arizona so much, why did he just sign a three year contract extension in the KHL this week?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
If this kid loves Arizona so much, why did he just sign a three year contract extension in the KHL this week?
As you know, SKA is a powerhouse. They print money and dole out massive contracts. Notice that Torpedo did not take any players back in the “trade”? Anyway, to answer your question, he’s getting paid 60 million rubles a year, Google say that’s $657,600 USD a year. His brother got 80.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He said his goal for this season is 215, not 250.

I’m fine with the draft. Armstrong, Plandowski, Hepple and John Ferguson Jr is quite a staff when it comes to resumes and reputations. They have to actually screw something up before I start to doubt them. Disappointing Scott Wheeler is somewhere below a mouse fart on my list of concerns.

Right. He said he's around 208 now and his goal is 215. I thought 250 sounded high. Damn French accent.:laugh:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Mine

1. Cooley
2. Simashev (love Guenther but Simashev's ceiling is through the roof)
3. Guenther
4. But (love Geekie but I feel But doesn't have consistency issues)
5. Geekie
6. Lamoureux
7. Duda
8. Soderstrom
9. Lutz
10. Hrabal
11. Doan
12. Lipkin

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Let me get this straight. Simashev and But haven't attended one development camp, or rookie camp and you guys have them both ranked top six. :laugh:

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Let me get this straight. Simashev and But haven't attended one development camp, or rookie camp and you guys have them both ranked top six. :laugh:

Whenever I rank players it's a super elaborate formula that mixes ceiling/floor, tape and viewings, draft capital and raw skill. It's such a top secret analysis I can't share it, but trust me Jakey seeing the players at development is only a fraction of what goes into my ultra sophisticated projections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille