Rumor: 2022-2022 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part 14: Sakic goes back to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just like how he said Avs were in on Giroux? Friedman is a fraud

Everyone got played by Fletcher on that one. All the insiders are probably deleting a bunch of contacts now after getting burned.
You guys are funny... What's more likely? That all of the people's who's ONLY JOB is reporting on hockey were ALL completely full of shit and the Avs weren't even allowed to put in an offer (lol) or that the "source" that Frank Seravalli heard from was actually a Flyers official/lackey doing some damage control because the return was so pathetic??

You can believe what you want but I have zero doubt that the Avs were in this until they weren't.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He speculated that Colorado and Toronto were working on something, and mentioned Jost's name. The next day Jost was traded to Minnesota. Could have just been a coincidence (and it was pretty obvious to everyone here that Jost was the logical piece to move), but it seems a bit like he had heard something from someone about Jost being shopped.
Which makes reading and listening to what they say useless. I can go on Twitter and post bunch of trade rumors which will equal to what Friedman is doing

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You guys are funny... What's more likely? That all of the people's who's ONLY JOB is reporting on hockey were ALL completely full of shit and the Avs weren't even allowed to put in an offer (lol) or that the "source" that Frank Seravalli heard from was actually a Flyers official/lackey doing some damage control because the return was so pathetic??

You can believe what you want but I have zero doubt that the Avs were in this until they weren't.

The Flyers lying that Giroux only wanted to go to Florida is definitely less likely, because they don't really have any incentive to do that, and could easily have their bluff called by someone.

The rumored offer was always a 1st+Tippet and everyone knew Giroux had a short list. I don't see much need to lie for damage control there.

Way more incentive and more likely they lied beforehand that other teams were interested, to drive up the price from Florida. Teams do that all the time.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Which makes reading and listening to what they say useless. I can go on Twitter and post bunch of trade rumors which will equal to what Friedman is doing
He's been saying that he believes that Giroux is going to Florida for 3+ days.

If you didn't want to believe him and you're upset it's your fault.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He's been saying that he believes that Giroux is going to Florida for 3+ days.

If you didn't want to believe him and you're upset it's your fault.
He was very convinced that Avs were the front runners before the last 3+days.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

The truth is most likely in the middle… some conversations, but nothing serious since Giroux said he wanted Florida. Then that deal had to be materialized and took some time.

Friedman goes way too far with his thoughts and people take that as truth. He is a legit source still, it just has to be parsed through. Seravelli has the best sources in the league now since Bob isn’t in the game. Part of that is being willing to let teams slip info that isn’t completely accurate.

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see Seravalli putting his reputation on the line by spreading what he knows to be a false rumor about Philly only talking to Florida, when if it wasn't true there would be 30 or so insiders like wolves at the door ready to say he's full of it just to make him look bad.

He's essentially saying all the other insiders were wrong and he's right. That's not gonna go over well if he's just lying for the Flyers.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Copp is an rfa and our window might not close but this year and the way the west looks is very clearly the best opportunity to make the finals. Our bottom 6 isn’t playoff capable, simple as that.

I think we'll compete in the West next year too.

I agree there is room to improve the bottom 6, but we've also been one of the best 3 teams in the league this year with our current bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 defensemen.

So many things can happen in the playoffs—injury issues, running into a hot goalie, fluke offside calls, shooting into shinpads, etc. Would we even be talking about the "Tampa blueprint" for playoff success running through strengthening the bottom half of the lineup (and LTIR abuse) if Vasilevskiy didn't happen to be the best playoff goalie in the NHL? Do you think Tampa wins back-to-back Cups with Grubauer instead of Vasi?

You just hope that one of these years, luck will be on our side. Trading the 2023 first for a player that doesn't really significantly increase our chances doesn't seem like a Sakic move, because I think we will have a strong chance next year too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I agree there is room to improve the bottom 6, but we've also been one of the best 3 teams in the league this year with our current bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 defensemen.

So many things can happen in the playoffs—injury issues, running into a hot goalie, fluke offside calls, shooting into shinpads, etc. Would we even be talking about the "Tampa blueprint" for playoff success running through strengthening the bottom half of the lineup (and LTIR abuse) if Vasilevskiy didn't happen to be the best playoff goalie in the NHL? Do you think Tampa wins back-to-back Cups with Grubauer instead of Vasi?

You just hope that one of these years, luck will be on our side. Trading the 2023 first for a player that doesn't really significantly increase our chances doesn't seem like a Sakic move, because I think we will have a strong chance next year too.
The question for next year is the 2nd line. The entire line are UFAs and the cap room isn’t there to sign all of them, maybe not even 3. That’s very tough to replace, especially when there isn’t a ton a talent in the pool ready to come in.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
another insider saying Giroux was only going to waive his NMC if it was Florida

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

The goal is to win the Cup. As much as Joe has done right here, the one thing he’s done completely wrong is go “all in” and do similar to what TB has done with their window.

So I don’t want “still compete in the West next year”. I want them to f***ing win THIS year. If the cost is the 2023 1st and/or others, then so be it.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The question for next year is the 2nd line. The entire line are UFAs and the cap room isn’t there to sign all of them, maybe not even 3. That’s very tough to replace, especially when there isn’t a ton a talent in the pool ready to come in.

This is why the Avs should probably be looking at players with term if they move their prime assets, or do what Boston did and get an extension in place before a trade.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is why the Avs should probably be looking at players with term if they move their prime assets, or do what Boston did and get an extension in place before a trade.
I’d tend to agree… but wasting this year would also be unacceptable. If they can’t get support with term, they just need to get rental support.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He was very convinced that Avs were the front runners before the last 3+days.
Here's the timeline as far as I can tell

- Fletcher is shopping Giroux, talked to Sakic
- Sakic made an offer, Flyers want Helleson (Friedman knew that)
- Giroux tells Fletcher that he's only going to Florida (Friedman knows he wants FLA but doesn't know it's ONLY FLA)
- Fletcher tells Sakic, who then trades Helleson to Anaheim
- Giroux is traded to Florida and everyone learns that he only wanted to go there

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

- Giroux tells Fletcher that he's only going to Florida (Friedman knows he wants FLA but doesn't know it's ONLY FLA)
- Giroux is traded to Florida and everyone learns that he only wanted to go there
Wouldn't Fletcher talk to Giroux 1st before reaching out to teams since Giroux has full NTC? Why would he listen to offers from other teams like Avs, if from the sounds of it Giroux would only waive for Florida? It just doesn't add up

Reactions: Reparlana

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Very possible timeline. It did feel to me at the time like the timing of moving Helleson might have meant Joe knew he wasn't getting Giroux, so he just moved early on a defenseman.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Wouldn't Fletcher talk to Giroux 1st before reaching out to teams since Giroux has full NTC? Why would he listen to offers from other teams like Avs, if from the sounds of it Giroux would only waive for Florida? It just doesn't add up

Giroux only had the conversation late in the process. He was focused on getting to Game 1000

Reactions: Balthazar

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

- Giroux tells Fletcher that he's only going to Florida (Friedman know he wants FLA but doesn't know it's ONLY FLA)
There was also many rumors about Ranta or Barron and Jost being in a possible deal for Giroux weeks ago reported by NRD, Elliotte, and Pagnotta. I'm not buying that only Florida was in it and no one else talked to or negotiated with Fletcher.

IMO, it was the Avs for weeks. Giroux wanted to play 1000 games, so they waited. Then Florida entered the picture and Giroux decided he'd rather go there and only there. Avs upped their offer, Giroux and Fletcher waffled, Florida finally upped their offer, and that was it.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone

more or less those are the tea leaves, ya. going the “how could you maniacs believe the media could all be wrong/lying at once” angle is very pre-2016

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Giroux only had the conversation late in the process. He was focused on getting to Game 1000
The fact is, we really have no clue what goes on. The only way we'll know if someone later asks Sakic if he was ever in on Giroux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad