Rumor: 2022-2022 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part 14: Sakic goes back to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Wouldn't Fletcher talk to Giroux 1st before reaching out to teams since Giroux has full NTC? Why would he listen to offers from other teams like Avs, if from the sounds of it Giroux would only waive for Florida? It just doesn't add up
Giroux said numerous times in the previous weeks that he wasn't thinking about that right now. It adds up perfectly.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wouldn't Fletcher talk to Giroux 1st before reaching out to teams since Giroux has full NTC? Why would he listen to offers from other teams like Avs, if from the sounds of it Giroux would only waive for Florida? It just doesn't add up

If Fletcher did talk to other teams early on, despite knowing Giroux only wanted to go to the Panthers, it would just be doing your due diligence, so you don't put all your eggs in Florida's basket.

They could always change their mind or suffer an injury or two that forced them to send their assets elsewhere.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There was also many rumors about Ranta or Barron and Jost being in a possible deal for Giroux weeks ago reported by NRD, Elliotte, and Pagnotta. I'm not buying that only Florida was in it and no one else talked to or negotiated with Fletcher.

IMO, it was the Avs for weeks. Giroux wanted to play 1000 games, so they waited. Then Florida entered the picture and Giroux decided he'd rather go there and only there. Avs upped their offer, Giroux and Fletcher waffled, Florida finally upped their offer, and that was it.
Pretty sure Sakic wasn't on it anymore when he traded Helleson.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
There was also many rumors about Ranta or Barron and Jost being in a possible deal for Giroux weeks ago reported by NRD, Elliotte, and Pagnotta. I'm not buying that only Florida was in it and no one else talked to or negotiated with Fletcher.

IMO, it was the Avs for weeks. Giroux wanted to play 1000 games, so they waited. Then Florida entered the picture and Giroux decided he'd rather go there and only there. Avs upped their offer, Giroux and Fletcher waffled, Florida finally upped their offer, and that was it.
But he's gone to Florida, so the specifics of how don't really matter now. Time to move on. We can revisit it when they meet in The Final and all us butthurt Avs fans boo his ass.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Here's the timeline as far as I can tell

- Fletcher is shopping Giroux, talked to Sakic
- Sakic made an offer, Flyers want Helleson (Friedman knew that)
- Giroux tells Fletcher that he's only going to Florida (Friedman knows he wants FLA but doesn't know it's ONLY FLA)
- Fletcher tells Sakic, who then trades Helleson to Anaheim
- Giroux is traded to Florida and everyone learns that he only wanted to go there

Yeah I think something similar to what's being suggested in these scenarios is probably close to what really happened. I also believe that what's being spun right now by members of the media in Philly is damage control because it was a pretty bad return.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Florida only entered the picture after Giroux's 1000th game. I'm sure they were in it the whole time.

And if there's anything to be skeptical about it's that Giroux hadn't already thought about and decided which team he wanted to go to until just recently. He probably thought about it after every loss he had this season.

The equivalent of being stuck at a shitty day job and dreaming of the beach.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can't remember... The main boards I think. I wasn't even trying to troll or anything I was just being cheeky like always but I forgot I wasn't in Avs Land and they don't understand me in other lands and I got in trouble. I'm not leaving home again.
Yea I stopped getting warnings and stuff when I stopped going to the main board. Too easy to get in trouble over there.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Just watched Spiderman. Expected the board to be like this:

174da940-1562-4e87-90bf-ca029c5bae55_text.gif

Found it like this:

homer-simpson-end.gif

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Here's what I think happened with Giroux.

If what Seravalli is saying is true that the Flyers never even talked to another team, then all those rumors about other teams, especially the Avs late "still being in it" were intentional leaks from the Flyers to drive up Florida's offer.

The Flyers sent Briere to Colorado as subterfuge. The Avs were looking at Braun when they were in Philly, before they traded for Manson.

After his 1000th game we heard this could take through the weekend. Then Ekblad went down with an injury, and Fletcher said, if you really want to go to Florida we have to make this deal now, because we might not be able to get any more assets for you if they trade for a defenseman. So they did and didn't quite get the haul they hoped.

Basically all the insiders and Dater, unless he was just piggybacking off other rumors, got played by Fletcher so that Florida didn't realize they were the only one negotiating for Giroux, and just offered a 2nd round pick or something.
Better off

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Of course we were never in on Giroux, the insiders almost never know who the Avs want. They just use them as shit to throw at the wall because it frustrates them that Avs don't give them a single nugget of information about anything.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I like Hampus Lindholm but I think he's a bit overrated on HF, just like OEL was a while ago. The contract is fair but it the last three years it might not be all that pretty, but that's a problem for a different GM most likely.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm dying on my Copp + Stastny hill.

• Copp (50%) + Stastny (50%) <> COL 2023 1st, Aube-Kubel*, Bowers, Kaut
    • *Hopefully Compher but trying to be realistic

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Nichushkin-Kadri-Burakovsky
Stastny-Newhook-Copp
Helm-Sturm-Compher

Reactions: Reparlana
Status