Rumor: 2022-2022 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part 14: Sakic goes back to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Thoughts on Tatar as a Burakovsky replacement this off-season?

Tatar obviously has limitations, but he's always put up good possession metrics, which was probably why the Avs were rumoured to be looking at him last off-season when he and Saad were the last two forwards available.

A lot of playmaking ability will be lost by the likely losses of Kadri and Burakovsky, which adding Tatar would offset somewhat. He's obviously not that great defensively but assuming Lehkonen and Nichuskin both get re-signed there will also be no shortage of two-way accumen in the top 9 so you can probably afford to insulate Tatar a bit.

One of the biggest benefits is that he'll be on an expiring deal which works perfectly given the raises upcoming in 2023 to MacKinnon/Byram/Newhook/Meyers.

Assuming that the 2C spot gets sorted (eg. Copp/Trocheck/Bennett/etc) the middle 6 would look reasonably solid:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichuskin
Tatar - 2C - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Newhook <--> Compher
xxxxx - Meyers - O'Connor

In terms of price he probably won't be too expensive to acquire, and on an expiring deal there's also possibility of retention (he has a $2m signing bonus due, and then an additional $3.25m salary, $5.25m total, with a $4.5m caphit). Perhaps even a straight swap involving Tatar and Burakovsky's UFA rights (with a small add) would suit both teams, since NJ are in need of a top 6 scoring winger.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Thoughts on Tatar as a Burakovsky replacement this off-season?

Tatar obviously has limitations, but he's always put up good possession metrics, which was probably why the Avs were rumoured to be looking at him last off-season when he and Saad were the last two forwards available.

A lot of playmaking ability will be lost by the likely losses of Kadri and Burakovsky, which adding Tatar would offset somewhat. He's obviously not that great defensively but assuming Lehkonen and Nichuskin both get re-signed there will also be no shortage of two-way accumen in the top 9 so you can probably afford to insulate Tatar a bit.

One of the biggest benefits is that he'll be on an expiring deal which works perfectly given the raises upcoming in 2023 to MacKinnon/Byram/Newhook/Meyers.

Assuming that the 2C spot gets sorted (eg. Copp/Trocheck/Bennett/etc) the middle 6 would look reasonably solid:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Nichuskin
Tatar - 2C - Rantanen
Lehkonen - Newhook <--> Compher
xxxxx - Meyers - O'Connor

In terms of price he probably won't be too expensive to acquire, and on an expiring deal there's also possibility of retention (he has a $2m signing bonus due, and then an additional $3.25m salary, $5.25m total, with a $4.5m caphit). Perhaps even a straight swap involving Tatar and Burakovsky's UFA rights (with a small add) would suit both teams, since NJ are in need of a top 6 scoring winger.
My only problem with him is that he's one of the worst playoff players I've ever seen. He'd be great for the RS though.

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With Campbell likely gone to NJ and the Leafs needing to replace him our starter options are even slimmer.

Larry Brooks:

There is a fair amount of chatter from multiple industry sources that the Devils will be in on impending Toronto free agent goaltender Jack Campbell if he hits the open market on July 13.

We’re told by one informant that New Jersey may attempt to jump the process by dealing for the 30-year-old’s rights if the Maple Leafs cannot or will not extend the netminder, who started more than 26 games (47) in a season for the first time in his career.

Reactions: shadow1

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
With Campbell likely gone to NJ and the Leafs needing to replace him our starter options are even slimmer.

Larry Brooks:

There is a fair amount of chatter from multiple industry sources that the Devils will be in on impending Toronto free agent goaltender Jack Campbell if he hits the open market on July 13.

We’re told by one informant that New Jersey may attempt to jump the process by dealing for the 30-year-old’s rights if the Maple Leafs cannot or will not extend the netminder, who started more than 26 games (47) in a season for the first time in his career.
Gibson is basically the Avs only shot at bringing in an actual upgrade. Husso, Campbell, Varly, Samsonov, MAF are just more of the same. So in all reality no one should expect the goaltending to be any different next season.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gibson is basically the Avs only shot at bringing in an actual upgrade. Husso, Campbell, Varly, Samsonov, MAF are just more of the same. So in all reality no one should expect the goaltending to be any different next season.

Gibson is absolute priority #1. Love Varly and would take him back, but he's 34 and had a lot of injuries, so he's a bigger risk. They have to do everything they can to avoid making big gambles on their goaltending.

Even if they have to start the season next year with Compher as 2C. Though hopefully they can at least find another option there too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Gibson is absolute priority #1. Love Varly and would take him back, but he's 34 and had a lot of injuries, so he's a bigger risk. They have to do everything they can to avoid making big gambles on their goaltending.

Even if they have to start the season next year with Compher as 2C. Though hopefully they can at least find another option there too.
I’d probably go 1st+Newhook+ for Gibson.

And then maybe Girard for a C?

And if Kulak makes it to FA I think he could be a fine option as the 3LD.

Just spitballing though.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Girard will get traded for assets and then Sakic will use his cap hit to re-up Manson.

Habs have a shit ton of picks and openly want to trade some because they have too many...and they have been linked to G in the past. There's a fit there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Girard will get traded for assets and then Sakic will use his cap hit to re-up Manson.

Habs have a shit ton of picks and openly want to trade some because they have too many...and they have been linked to G in the past. There's a fit there.

Only reason to trade G is to bring in a roster player. A 2C or a G. They don't need to trade him. Only way I see them trading him for assets, is if they plan on using those assets for a 2C or G.

I want them to bring Manson back, but if it's a matter of cap space, I doubt Joe (and especially CMac if he takes over) move G just to re-sgn Manson. They'll probably just bring JJ back in that case. Which I think they should do anyway. Despite how people feel he's been one of their best 7D's.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Only reason to trade G is to bring in a roster player. A 2C or a G. They don't need to trade him. Only way I see them trading him for assets, is if they plan on using those assets for a 2C or G.

I want them to bring Manson back, but if it's a matter of cap space, I doubt Joe (and especially CMac if he takes over) move G just to re-sgn Manson. They'll probably just bring JJ back in that case. Which I think they should do anyway. Despite how people feel he's been one of their best 7D's.

With the assets that you get back for G you can trade for a goalie or a 2C. If you keep G and lose Manson then you get no asset back.

Reactions: MarkT

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Alright Joe, time to take advantage of a cap that is going to rise a lot in 2 years when the players play off the debt, get some short term deals to get depth to stick around or bring guys in who are looking to cash in then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad