Rumor: 2022-2022 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part 14: Sakic goes back to bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
MacKinnon is going to sign an 8-year, $87M contract extension this summer. Sakic should try to convince him to sign for $8.7M aav, but I think a shade under $11M is fair enough.
I hope MacKinnon looks at Tampa's success and how all of their stars are under $10 million AAV, which has helped to facilitate their depth (well, along with the LTIR shenanigans).

Also, we know from the postgame interview, that the number 87 seems to hold some metaphysical significance to him. Maybe he will sign up for $8.7 million AAV on a long contract. I think we're all pretty sure that the tail end of an 8-year, $8.7 million AAV contract will not look particularly great, given the aging curve and the type of player MacK is.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Thoughts on Tatar as a Burakovsky replacement this off-season?
I am scared to death that Montreal didn't play him at all in their Cup run in 2020-2021 after the Toronto series. Even when Jake Evans was knocked out of the lineup against the Jets in Game 1, Tatar didn't draw in. Makes you wonder what happened there.

Reactions: AvStock

BigCKU

Aug 16, 2020
Not well verse on the cap and contracts. So Avs have 25 million in cap at the moment? Will be interesting to see if Erik Johnson retires. If he does that’s an extra 6 mil to add to the available cap. Would basically pay for MacK’s extension and a little left over and still save the 25 mil left.

Think they will almost certainly have to let Kadri walk. I think the most important players to sign is Nichushkin and Lehkonen. Probably put Compher at 2C and Newhook at 3C and hope that Newhook can take over 2C at some point. Maybe find a 2C on a value deal but that’s hoping. Fill out the remainder of the bottom 6 holes with value deal players and veterans looking to win a cup for cheaper deals.

To me the question is what do with Girard? Only 24, 5 AAV for 5 more years. That’s a pretty good contract. The problem is idk if you can go with a Byram/Girard 2nd D line. That’s a lot of size giving up. Became a big fan of Manson these playoffs as he did far better handling the puck and shooting that I expected and he has the size. Is it possible Avs could re-sign Manson to a smaller AAV than what Girard currently has and move Girard for 2C/3C?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully Nate sticks to his word and takes a discount. Going for the biggest bucks possible would definitely lead to an even worse cap crunch. We won't be paying for much of his prime either.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If Kadri walks, what are people’s thoughts on grabbing Malkin in free agency on a 1 year deal?

Would be cheaper than Kadri and is a proven elite playoff performer.

BigCKU

Aug 16, 2020
Thanks for the info. Extending MacK should then be #1 on the task list. After that you can figure out who you can give long term deals to.

1. MacK
2. Lehkonen
3. Nichushkin

Figure out how to fill out the roster from there. Getting these 3 on long-term deals should be the priority. Then probably figure out who will be the GT for next season.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Hagel deal sure isn't paying back on early returns.

They made the cup final, which is still a solid result.

The real value of that deal will be felt for the next couple of years though. Tampa are an attractive place for UFA's and that contract will give them capspace to sign other guys they otherwise wouldn't without his value contract in the middle 6.

Reactions: Iceberg

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
They made the cup final, which is still a solid result.

The real value of that deal will be felt for the next couple of years though. Tampa are an attractive place for UFA's and that contract will give them capspace to sign other guys they otherwise wouldn't without his value contract in the middle 6.
He sure wasn't a big driver in them making it.

Reactions: MarkT

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Obviously the MacKinnon extension is the top priority, knowing how much cap space it's going to cost will dictate the rest of the signings.

And if MacK gives the team a solid discount it could encourage a guy like Nichushkin to sign for a little less as well.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
1. MacK
2. Lehkonen
3. Nichushkin

Figure out how to fill out the roster from there. Getting these 3 on long-term deals should be the priority. Then probably figure out who will be the GT for next season.
Lehkonen is RFA so I wouldn't worry about him.

My offseason list:
1. Re-sign Nishukin and Manson
2. Trade Compher and Girard for top 6 help, preferbly a 2C, (PLD?)
3. Sign Fleury to 1M/1 Year
4. Sign Filip Forsberg

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Kinda telling that the guys interviewed mentioned Cogliano, Lehkonen, and Manson as great deadline pickups, but no one really mentioned Sturm.

He had a solid start in the regular season as a breath of fresh air replacing Jost as he could win board battles and face-offs, and was also good in the first round against Nashville, but after the first two games against the Blues (after which he got benched) he wasn't really much of a factor. Seems pretty clear that he's not gonna be brought back.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We REALLY should have re-signed nuke last year.
I think Friedman said on one of the 32 thoughts podcasts that Sakic wanted to do the deal early in the season, but Nuke wanted to wait and bet on himself. It will obviously pay off.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
At what point do they say "screw it" and run Francouz as a cheap starter and sign a capable backup since he's had some injury issues, and then use the cap space saved to help sign as many of their other free agents as possible?

Frankie isn't a top 10 goalie or anything, but they've shown this season they can win with just competent, reliable goaltending, and he did that at 6-0 in the playoffs.

I know I'd prefer Frankie + keeping someone like Lehkonen to overpaying someone like Campbell or Husso and then losing out on one of our FAs.

You need about 6 goalies on your active roster if Francouz is being counted on.

He gets hurt pouring a coffee.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wonder how actually winning the Cup impacts player's willingness to take discounts to help with the Cup.....
I feel like realistically mansons only 3 choices will be Anaheim Colorado and possibly Edmonton. I imagine he’d sign a pretty good contract to stay in that situation in Colorado, it’s really a good fit for him

I also wonder if kadri will leave money on the table to keep core together. What would you guys hope for in a kadri deal?

Then really all you need is a goalie, and I have to imagine sakic and PV will at least be talking

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I feel like realistically mansons only 3 choices will be Anaheim Colorado and possibly Edmonton. I imagine he’d sign a pretty good contract to stay in that situation in Colorado, it’s really a good fit for him

If I remember right Toronto tried acquiring him but he blocked a trade to the East. Also Carolina made a move and he apparently would have waived but I guess they were outbid by Sakic. With DeAngelo probably leaving maybe they'd be an option.

That said I do agree I think Colorado and Anaheim would be the two front runners. It'll just come down to how high Sakic is willing to go on a deal, and whether or not Manson wants to go back to California. My guess is that if the Avs offer him a competitive deal he'd likely re-sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad