OT: 2021 Weather thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Or the 1-2C rises in temperature that can come about in urban areas JUST due to the proliferate use of AC.

But yeah. A lot of weather stations that used to be remote are no longer remote due to urban sprawl. So this needs to be considered in comparisons.
Just look at edm int. Used to be outside Edmonton. Not anymore.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My garden this year sucks. As another poster said, my zucchinis and tomatoes are doing very well but the peas all started off well then their growth stunted and started to die. Same with the father in law's, who always has wicked peas. Beans...same story. Onions, all green tops and they're dying off one by one with the tops browning and dying. The radishes at least were decent. Just not a good growing year for vine type veggies like beans and peas down here I guess.

I'm sure the spring snow storm we had May long where it dropped to -5 and got 8 inches of snow had something to do with it.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My garden this year sucks. As another poster said, my zucchinis and tomatoes are doing very well but the peas all started off well then their growth stunted and started to die. Same with the father in law's, who always has wicked peas. Beans...same story. Onions, all green tops and they're dying off one by one with the tops browning and dying. The radishes at least were decent. Just not a good growing year for vine type veggies like beans and peas down here I guess.

I'm sure the spring snow storm we had May long where it dropped to -5 and got 8 inches of snow had something to do with it.

Not watering enough or at the right times. The peas particularly need relief from the heat and so two cold water sprayings per day is what they've been getting. One at 1pm, other just after dinner is what we have been doing. Skip one day and the Peas will give up the ghost as they are susceptible to heat.

We have mutant cucumbers this year. Already been taking off foot longs. Just planted 3 rows of peas and they're just pumping pods out like crazy. None of our onions are dying but they need copious amounts or water. we're doing a bunch of onions just in container beds and they're doing fine. But plants like onions, Celery, they suck up an incredible amount of water.

Pulse crops tend to need a lot of water. I mean they produce a lot in a short period of time. Our green beans doing fine. What I find generally is most people underwater. Watering should be modest at seed germination time but when plants are growing in hot sunny conditions the watering has to be immense. The maturing plants will take up whatever you put down. The rest will evaporate. With even decent drainage its hardly even possible to overwater in this heat.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We're doing peas completely different this year, and I have to say the results are best ever. I've tried everything with peas. Building trelisses, stringing them up between stakes or bamboo (4ft stakes work better) but this year we're using bungee cord to string them up. The old type bungee cords with the metal (not plastic) clips. You have to pound the stakes down at least 1ft so they don't budge. Then you line up bungee cord on either side of the peas to keep them standing. You want peas growing straight up, not hanging around the ground. As the plants grow just adjust the bungee cords inches higher on the stakes. Careful not to rip any plants. Try one inch at a time. Our pea plants our 2feet tall using this method and producing like crazy. Unlike twine or string the bungee cords are delicate on the plants.

If Peas are not properly supported they suffer damage from wind, from root rot and rot just where they come out of ground. Also makes weeding a lot easier when the plants are growing properly straight up.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not watering enough or at the right times. The peas particularly need relief from the heat and so two cold water sprayings per day is what they've been getting. One at 1pm, other just after dinner is what we have been doing. Skip one day and the Peas will give up the ghost as they are susceptible to heat.

We have mutant cucumbers this year. Already been taking off foot longs. Just planted 3 rows of peas and they're just pumping pods out like crazy. None of our onions are dying but they need copious amounts or water.

Pulse crops tend to need a lot of water. I mean they produce a lot in a short period of time. Our green beans doing fine. What I find generally is most people underwater. Watering should be modest at seed germination time but when plants are growing in hot sunny conditions the watering has to be immense. The maturing plants will take up whatever you put down. The rest will evaporate. With even decent drainage its hardly even possible to overwater in this heat.

I was worried about overwatering and drowning them out but maybe that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind going forward. When I grew up, we relied on mother nature for watering the field, er garden. But I also didn't live in a semi-desert climate like it is down here lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some more on Lytton. This article interesting including pictures from a tourist taking last pictures of Lytton just hours before the fire erased it. Eerily a smoke plume seen off in the hills (thought not to be cause of the fire)

Lytton, B.C., looks to its history as it starts to rebuild after devastating wildfire | CBC News

Also of note that Lytton has burned down before several times through its 170 year history. Its fraught with problems due to its low elevation, arid, dry, hot climate. Hottest and driest place in Canada. Terrible place to build.

You have to wonder particularly about how pragmatic it is to always rebuild. Property/buildings should not be insurable in such an area.

"Lytton was badly damaged by wildfires in 1931, 1938 and 1949, Roden says, but was rebuilt each time. "

That isn't all the fires that have devastated Lytton either. Theres been more. This is the worst place possible to settle. In Canada, and with so much land available anywhere else makes more sense. The whole area is dead now anyway since the Coquihalla.

This article provides more detail on all the past Lytton fires that have devastated the town. I write this because such calamity is being used to stoke the "climate change" arguments as if Lytton fires had not been a regularity since settlement.
A history of Lytton, from First Nations to the Gold Rush to disastrous fires – Ashcroft Cache Creek Journal

Yet we learn that several times before the town has burned down in a day, or in an hour. That this is a fact of life in the microclimate area.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was worried about overwatering and drowning them out but maybe that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind going forward. When I grew up, we relied on mother nature for watering the field, er garden. But I also didn't live in a semi-desert climate like it is down here lol.
Man, if you haven't been doing a ton of extra waterings the past few weeks, those guys didn't stand a chance. We need to water our stuff daily at the very least.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Some more on Lytton. This article interesting including pictures from a tourist taking last pictures of Lytton just hours before the fire erased it. Eerily a smoke plume seen off in the hills (thought not to be cause of the fire)

Lytton, B.C., looks to its history as it starts to rebuild after devastating wildfire | CBC News

Also of note that Lytton has burned down before several times through its 170 year history. Its fraught with problems due to its low elevation, arid, dry, hot climate. Hottest and driest place in Canada. Terrible place to build.

You have to wonder particularly about how pragmatic it is to always rebuild. Property/buildings should not be insurable in such an area.

"Lytton was badly damaged by wildfires in 1931, 1938 and 1949, Roden says, but was rebuilt each time. "

That isn't all the fires that have devastated Lytton either. Theres been more. This is the worst place possible to settle. In Canada, and with so much land available anywhere else makes more sense. The whole area is dead now anyway since the Coquihalla.

This article provides more detail on all the past Lytton fires that have devastated the town. I write this because such calamity is being used to stoke the "climate change" arguments as if Lytton fires had not been a regularity since settlement.
A history of Lytton, from First Nations to the Gold Rush to disastrous fires – Ashcroft Cache Creek Journal

Yet we learn that several times before the town has burned down in a day, or in an hour. That this is a fact of life in the microclimate area.
This reminds me of people that constantly re-build on flood plains, and then it's apparently a huge disaster when they get flood out about every 5 years or so. I get that the ancestral home and area pulls at the strings, but it gets to the point, where, what is the point of living there and putting up with that?
I remember seeing an article about some old church building in Germany that flooded out recently and everyone was freaking about global weather changes for the area. Then someone showed a water line from about 400 years earlier, where the new flood never even came close to hitting.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Man, if you haven't been doing a ton of extra waterings the past few weeks, those guys didn't stand a chance. We need to water our stuff daily at the very least.

Yeah my bad. I have a moisture meter in the ground as well and it was always in the green range for moisture so the roots had an adequate supply of moisture and I didn't want to drown them out.

Oh well, it's just a hobby garden and I know for next year. It's not large enough to supply us for fall/winter, just something to do and grow myself while saving a few bucks at least for a few weeks from veggies in the grocery stores.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The city planners are geniuses.:sarcasm:
On C2E I had a lot of discussions about the Tamarack subdivision. How poorly conceived it was. Several blocks of houses are within 60ft of the damn freight train tracks. Nothing separating. any derailment and houses are taken out and lives lost. or massive chemical spill, fire. Its a disaster waiting to happen and was allowed to happen. Worse, some parts of the subdivision are on the WRONG SIDE of the traintracks and the only egress for Fire Trucks, Emergency crews, ambulance, is ACROSS the train tracks. Meaning that if theres a train you just have to wait. But worse is if its a derailed train theres no road to get in there.

I don't know how people would even buy in such a location. They were getting maybe 15-20K savings over proper lots in proper locations. Putting your family at danger is not a savings I would select.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
On C2E I had a lot of discussions about the Tamarack subdivision. How poorly conceived it was. Several blocks of houses are within 60ft of the damn freight train tracks. Nothing separating. any derailment and houses are taken out and lives lost. or massive chemical spill, fire. Its a disaster waiting to happen and was allowed to happen. Worse, some parts of the subdivision are on the WRONG SIDE of the traintracks and the only egress for Fire Trucks, Emergency crews, ambulance, is ACROSS the train tracks. Meaning that if theres a train you just have to wait. But worse is if its a derailed train theres no road to get in there.

I don't know how people would even buy in such a location. They were getting maybe 15-20K savings over proper lots in proper locations. Putting your family at danger is not a savings I would select.

At the time you also mentioned the concrete foundations would crack from the repeated vibrations of trains passing by. I think that was your original concern in that thread.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At the time you also mentioned the concrete foundations would crack from the repeated vibrations of trains passing by. I think that was your original concern in that thread.

You remember correctly. I didn't know you posted on that board. if you wanted drop me a line in pm telling me who you were.

My family work in trades. Dad had a job in Entwhistle once. Post office right next to the tracks. They could never build it to pass inspection. Failed everytime. Nothing would set properly. Foundations were already flawed from freight trains running constantly by shaking everything. Then trying to build Cinder block walls over this mess of cracked imperfect foundation was a handful. The company he was with had to go to court. Company was paid as it was determined the finished product was as good as you could get on specific lot. The court determination at that time was that the choice of location for the design build made ideal build untenable. That the building should have been constructed on a lot farther from the operating train tracks.

Out of curiosity I went to a few open houses in the Tamarack area. Poorly constructed. Basement pours that I would never even remotely consider buying. That said I would NEVER purchase a house sight unseen from a developer. I would only buy a finished house I could inspect. Buyer beware. Especially in Alberta during building booms. When you get every jackass with a hammer calling themselves a builder.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah my bad. I have a moisture meter in the ground as well and it was always in the green range for moisture so the roots had an adequate supply of moisture and I didn't want to drown them out.

Oh well, it's just a hobby garden and I know for next year. It's not large enough to supply us for fall/winter, just something to do and grow myself while saving a few bucks at least for a few weeks from veggies in the grocery stores.
I hear you, and I'm certainly not one to talk about yard misadventures. A few years ago, I went in with a sprayer of Round Up and used it on weeds on my backyard paving stone firepit. A couple days later, I noticed there were dead grass footprints all over my lawn. Seems I walked on some of the sprayed weeds and then proceeded to walk on the lawn. Pure genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad