2021 VGK off season discussion thread

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They are probably shy after the Suzuki plus for Pacioretty hasn't netted us much positive during the years it was most likely to do so and Suzuki for Pacioretty now would solve pretty much all our problems.

I know Pacioretty has two great regular seasons for us and was good but not great in the playoffs this year and fantastic that one round we lost to SJ the only time they haven't made the CF/SF but that's not really worth an A prospect, 2nd, forward who kept point pace with Pacioretty the first two seasons and 500k retention. After what they paid to get that forward.

If they feel Krebs can be another Suzuki holding firm makes sense.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still can't believe we traded away Fleury just to use all of the available cap space to trade for Craponov and sign Broissant.

What a crappy offseason this has been.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Taking a long time to get Patrick signed.

Wonder what his asking price is.

They might be waiting until opening day, when Tuch is placed on regular season LTIR.

Not really ideal considering he needs to gel with his new linemates in camp, but hey - nothing's been ideal so far this offsesaon.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone, hope this Thread is the right one as I couldn’t find a more relevant Title.

For those who don’t subscribe to THG. He’s not an insider or anything, just a fan of the Game who does a nice job of keeping up with the NHL and puts out a fair amount of content, which is nice during the off-season.

I thought some of you might enjoy his Season preview for the Team during these slow news days of August, or perhaps share this with someone just learning about the Team.

I find that although THG isn’t the most exciting personality, he breaks things down nicely for those newer to the Game or looking for regular content of the non-biased variety.

Hope you’re all doing well and enjoying the summer with your families.

Cheers,
8B5D1079-6A0F-4D97-B13E-4D01068057E1.jpeg

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I still don't understand the Dadonov trade.

Even with Tuch out we have good depth on the wings, up front in general and young players who probably need a path to start making a dent this season. And our top six center issue isn't fixed.

Being in the Pacific we aren't in danger of missing the playoffs because of a Tuch injury.

We could probably get better use from Holden, the third rounder and 3.3 million cap space this season and 5 million next season than a guy looking to improve a bad season on a third line and second unit PP with us.

Unless they were planning, or still are planning, a top six forward trade before Tuch is back I don't understand. Even then, if you trade Marchessault or Smith and keep Dadonov, are you better? Still wouldn't have cap for a top six center.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
A guy who was also drafted a top five pick, has nearly identical ppg through his first three seasons as Patrick just signed a 6.1 million offer sheet.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I still don't understand the Dadonov trade.

Even with Tuch out we have good depth on the wings, up front in general and young players who probably need a path to start making a dent this season. And our top six center issue isn't fixed.

Being in the Pacific we aren't in danger of missing the playoffs because of a Tuch injury.

We could probably get better use from Holden, the third rounder and 3.3 million cap space this season and 5 million next season than a guy looking to improve a bad season on a third line and second unit PP with us.

Unless they were planning, or still are planning, a top six forward trade before Tuch is back I don't understand. Even then, if you trade Marchessault or Smith and keep Dadonov, are you better? Still wouldn't have cap for a top six center.

Stop looking for justification from us, no one gets the move. Most trades or signings have at least some understandable reasons behind them. This one we all just haven't a clue on.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Mcrimmon is really going to find out how bad our center depth is when Craponov does not produce.

He needs to play with a talented center and the Knights don't have one.

I honestly would have rather just stood pat this offseason.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Someone said earlier in the offseason thread that they didn't expect Janmark to come back so that's why they're 2 million over when everyone is healthy. I think that may be partly true but more that both player and team's interests aligned.

I think once the team knew Tuch would be out through February they swung back to Janmark, and Janmark wants to make the Swedish Olympic team so he took the offer to try to boost his stock playing in the top nine of a very good team.

So, when Tuch is healthy I think they'll trade Janmark to another playoff team for a 5th or whatever they can get. That team would get Janmark as a depth rental for whatever trade cost and only need about 650k in cap space. Someone would be interested.

Vegas would have gotten Janmark for most of the season and a free 5th round pick or something for a player they were willing to let walk. Tuch could replace Janmark and Vegas would have cap space for 13F and 7D and only need to waive one of Carrier or Kolesar while getting the extra player on the roster. With Tuch back the top nine wings get crowded anyway.

And if another top nine forward gets hurt around the end of the season, then Janmark is insurance against that. It doesn't cost Vegas anything to do it this way except the extra 2M cash from Foley's pocket.

It makes McCrimmon's statement on how they feel they've used their cap space better make more sense.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Am I the only one kinda excited about Nicolas Roy? He seems to make the most of little icetime. Was really good in the playoffs (where he won 57% of faceoffs), is big and strong, hard working and, maybe with a bit of luck, might carve out a breakout season?

Am I crazy or on to something?

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
Am I the only one kinda excited about Nicolas Roy? He seems to make the most of little icetime. Was really good in the playoffs (where he won 57% of faceoffs), is big and strong, hard working and, maybe with a bit of luck, might carve out a breakout season?

Am I crazy or on to something?

First, AWESOME handle - if Mike Patton touches it, it usually turns to gold.

Secondly, I wouldn’t say you’re either after what Karlsson did, though Roy seems to have a lower probability for a huge breakout. I’ll trust skilled/smart wingers flanking him and his play to not be a detriment, but I’d be thrilled if he tops out at 15-25-40 in regular season numbers.

Given the increased importance on wingers within an center-ambiguous system, gauging value gets hard.

Reactions: Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
First, AWESOME handle - if Mike Patton touches it, it usually turns to gold.

Secondly, I wouldn’t say you’re either after what Karlsson did, though Roy seems to have a lower probability for a huge breakout. I’ll trust skilled/smart wingers flanking him and his play to not be a detriment, but I’d be thrilled if he tops out at 15-25-40 in regular season numbers.

Given the increased importance on wingers within an center-ambiguous system, gauging value gets hard.

It's hard, yes. And I wouldn't bet my mortgage on anything.

I'm just looking at the Knights roster projections and some people putting Chandler Stephenson on the first line and wondering "why not Roy?"

I think he deserves a short with the skilled guys.

Reactions: NotPetya

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It's hard, yes. And I wouldn't bet my mortgage on anything.

I'm just looking at the Knights roster projections and some people putting Chandler Stephenson on the first line and wondering "why not Roy?"

I think he deserves a short with the skilled guys.

I think coaches should do the line blender much more often in the regular season for entire games, not just when you fall behind. This coach and organization though just don't want to. They are married to old thoughts such as you have to be heavy, you have to load up the top lines and pairs, and that young guys aren't to be trusted. It sucks but it is what it is.

If you drop a guy into a line for 2 games because of an injury, you won't learn much about his fit because he's mostly adjusting to linemates. But with tape of it and some feel from the staff, you can find 2 man and 3 man combos that just work better. This coach went out and messed with all that day one moving around Karlsson and the Misfits have mostly not been consistent since. It would be fine if they shuffled other guys to find a fit, but he's Mr Rigid and dammit his system is better than yours.

Reactions: Fantomas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad