2021 VGK off season discussion thread

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Feel free to post your hottest takes, meltdowns, etc here.

I will start by firing McPhee and promoting McCrimmon with an interim title of all things that was under McPhee. Acquiring a player like Ryan Reaves and extending Reaves twice tells me who is in charge of team personnel moves thus it is McPhee that gets the ax. Extending Fleury after season one when his value was at its peak was another dumb move. Bringing back players that we should have been happy to see their contracts expire is a typical McPhee move. So those are my two reasons to thank McPhee for what he's done, but good bye. We'll still invite you for any first year reunions.

PDB is fired and Rocky Thompson comes back home as the third head coach of the Golden Knights. McCrimmon is also be notified he is on a short leash.

Trade any two top 6 forwards. I would prefer one from the top line and one from the second line. But I see more teams looking at our second line guys.

Sign Ovie to fix the PP and bumps patches down from the top line unless patches is traded. I'm not sure how serious I feel about this. It could be frustration with the PP. I'm serious about sending Patches out. Just not sure about going after Ovie which seems like a move that McPhee would have done chasing a title and until that title is won, long term team development is on the back burner.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Moved from the game thread

My personal offseason plan would be something like this assuming Eichel (or any legit 1C) is probably unrealistic:

New PP coach first and foremost.

More of an emphasis on long looks at the young forwards in Henderson. You've got to have some cap flexibility for that first though. You've got at least see what a Dugan or Elevenes or a Dorofeyev can do in what are all honesty meaningless regular season games.

Fleury through a 3rd team with retention to PIT for Desmith

Reaves to the Rangers for a conditional 7th to be a Wilson deterrent

Pacioretty to whichever team has the best offer and will take his full cap hit

If you really wanted to go crazy Smith or Marchessault would be next in line.

At that point you'd have 14.5m in cap space for forward upgrades plus a Martinez extension.

If Landeskog by some weird chance hit free agency I'd throw a 7x7 offer his way. Not likely but that's the style of forward I think we're lacking and it would have the added benefit of weakening our biggest competition. If not him then another top 6 gritty LW with skill. Maybe Killorn as a dump from Tampa. Maybe Hyman if he's not too pricey.

So up front something like
Marchessault-Stephenson-Stone
Killorn/Hyman/whoever-Karlsson-Smith
Krebs-Glass-Tuch

We'd have the same D. Lehner-Desmith/Thompson in net.

And then you'd have ample space for a full roster the entire year plus any big names that might be available at the deadline. Perhaps Hertl if San Jose can't get him signed?

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Move on from DeBoer and his staff

Move a W, get better at C. Try to retain Martinez, but I could see a GM overpaying for his results.

Stay away from the UFA class. Nothing good in it.

Krebs, Glass, Dugan. Look for some cheap contributions at F.

Move on from Reaves, Holden. If there is a GM out there who thinks Hague has high upside, see if you can flip him for a comparable C.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Got a spot open on the third line with Janny gone, potentially one on the fourth line, and a d-spot open(for Martini, or internally). Stephenson's spot in the top-6 should be fluid too.

Time to let the kids get a shot and see if they're up to the task.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Got a spot open on the third line with Janny gone, potentially one on the fourth line, and a d-spot open(for Martini, or internally). Stephenson's spot in the top-6 should be fluid too.

Time to let the kids get a shot and see if they're up to the task.

Would love to see this happen but haven't seen PDB trust young guys unless he has no choice. McPhee doesn't seem to think highly of prospects either.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Bring in Getzlaf on a really cheap contract?.. convince him to come for very cheap for a chance at the Cup... great option for down the middle

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Bring in Getzlaf on a really cheap contract?.. convince him to come for very cheap for a chance at the Cup... great option for down the middle

He's not going anywhere. It's Ducks or retirement. He's also not a better player at this point than Stephenson or Karlsson.

And hell no to RNH. He's going to be massively overpaid to be a worse version of Karlsson.

The only chances of a 1C are through trade. Short of a 1C they're better off keeping what they have. They can win with Stephenson/Karlsson/Krebs/Roy if Krebs steps up and the wingers perform.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's not going anywhere. It's Ducks or retirement. He's also not a better player at this point than Stephenson or Karlsson.

And hell no to RNH. He's going to be massively overpaid to be a worse version of Karlsson.

The only chances of a 1C are through trade. Short of a 1C they're better off keeping what they have. They can win with Stephenson/Karlsson/Krebs/Roy if Krebs steps up and the wingers perform.

Oh ok I didn't know that.. I thought maybe he could head to VGK for a season and slot in anywhere as a centerman.. up and down the lineup for cheap... but if it's Ducks or bust, then nevermind!!lol

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Of the C options. I could see Vegas pushing hard for Kuznetsov if they can't land Eichel. Could be cheaper as Washington looks to be tired of his shit.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Of the C options. I could see Vegas pushing hard for Kuznetsov if they can't land Eichel. Could be cheaper as Washington looks to be tired of his shit.

Too many red flags for me. Russian, production dropping, off ice issues relating to drugs, locker room problems?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Zibanejad could be an option if the Rangers get Eichel. Center, scores goals.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Zibanejad could be an option if the Rangers get Eichel. Center, scores goals.

From everything I've read there is close to zero chance Buffalo sends Eichel inside the conference. They want him out West unless the price is astronomical.

Hertl would be the guy to keep an eye on other than Eichel I think. He's a pending UFA and if the Sharks can't get him signed they'll have to deal him to help their rebuild.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
From everything I've read there is close to zero chance Buffalo sends Eichel inside the conference. They want him out West unless the price is astronomical.

Hertl would be the guy to keep an eye on other than Eichel I think. He's a pending UFA and if the Sharks can't get him signed they'll have to deal him to help their rebuild.

If they didn't have a similar hang up about trading him to a divisional rival, and a hated one, I'd be up for it.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
If they didn't have a similar hang up about trading him to a divisional rival, and a hated one, I'd be up for it.

I think they'd have to consider it as opposed to the alternative of him just walking in free agency. Buffalo has the leverage of Eichel being signed long term already.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I would love to see RNH come in as a UFA signing but I'm assuming no cap room for that.

I'd be open to Getz but a hell no to RNH. And stay far far far away from Eichel. There is zero doubt in my mind that if he gets either ACDF or ADR that he is done. I know from personal experience that there is no way that either type is meant to take the abuse of a professional athlete. Doctors never give out the true numbers of patients that continue to go to pain clinics monthly to get pain meds and most of the people in a crowded pain clinic will say they had neck surgery and regret it. I had no choice as my right arm had shooting pain to my neck and I was at risk of losing all control of my right arm if I did not save the nerve that my disks were crushing.

I would love to be proven wrong by Jack Eichel then he could be the shining beacon of hope for those with chronic pain after neck surgery

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Sharks aren't looking to rebuild. Deadline maybe. If not they should be in on Hertl hte UFA

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Sharks aren't looking to rebuild. Deadline maybe. If not they should be in on Hertl hte UFA

I meant at the deadline for Hertl. If they're aren't looking to rebuild they're just prolonging the pain. Because they're doing in as is. They could accelerate it by moving some guys that actually still have value.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I meant at the deadline for Hertl. If they're aren't looking to rebuild they're just prolonging the pain. Because they're doing in as is. They could accelerate it by moving some guys that actually still have value.

they have no real youth and long term expensive contracts. Everything I've seen they are looking to 're-tool' despite the obvious impending doom

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Buffalo fan here trying to understand what Vegas would look to give up for Eichel. The pieces I assume would have to be included are:

Fleury (cap relief and Buffalo needs a real goalie)
Krebs/Glass (preferably Krebs)
2021 1st

There would need to be more on the table though to compete with some other potential offers. Are Tuch and Theodore available?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Buffalo fan here trying to understand what Vegas would look to give up for Eichel. The pieces I assume would have to be included are:

2021 1st

There would need to be more on the table though to compete with some other potential offers. Are Tuch and Theodore available?

doubtful if they’re giving up Krebs. Tuch maybe, but not theodore

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

2021 1st

Fleury won't waive for Buffalo

I'd be willing to do either Tuch or Theodore plus Glass as the main pieces if it meant keeping Krebs. If Krebs has to be in the deal I think it'd need to be Marchessault going with him. Picks and other prospects included either way.

Regardless I don't think Vegas can even sniff the kinds of offers Anaheim and LA can put forth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad