Boston Bruins 2021 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Trading Wheeler helped us win a Cup, so personally, i think it helped both teams out. We reached an end goal, they got a kid who improved his game and became an elite player.

I do agree with this. But I think the point stands that no one seems to mention Wheeler in the class of Thornton and Seguin as elite players that we traded, when his play puts him in that tier.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
Can't name names, but the player they were presumably interested in is holding out for a contract.

I don't know if they can bring anyone in before sending anyone down.

Rules allow 36 skaters and unlimited goalies in camp. They are at that limit if you count Pastrnak and Miller, if the latter has been cleared.
vatanen ? :sarcasm:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I know your joking, but unless someone says something, I can see this turning into a conversation:

You can't bring an RFA in on a PTO

I know we’re all supposed to be civilized and all these days. But. If the NHL wants free publicity making that a thing would be awesome.

The hostility that would cause alone would be worth the price of admission

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Anyone think Achan can surpise here this season?
He's certainly seasoned enough. And back in the day, loads of four year NCAA guys would make the NHL without hitting the minors.

Standard caveat: I took a look a long while back and college UDFAs only hit about 5-10% of the time, and that's including guys younger than 23.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm interested to see/hear about Wolff, mostly because I've never seen him as an NHL calibre prospect, though that's based on limited Frozen Four viewings and some reading. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but he's never seemed like the type of defenseman Cassidy and Sweeney prefer. Very much a Neely-style player.
Bet ya Wolff is a Bruin longer than Sweeney or Cassidy.

Yes I would be thrilled about this and the sooner the better

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Ahcam is reported to have many of the skills as Krug; great skater, stickhandler, playmaker. He also has the same size. It will be interesting to see how he performs this season in Jacksonville/Providence and how Grzelcyk handles his new job description. It would possibly impact a decision on whom to protect for the expansion draft.

Reactions: Blowfish

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I like the idea of seeing who among the young D-men can grab a spot, but I worry about having too little experience on the D squad even if they do. That's why I hope at least one of Moore or Miller can prove to be a consistent presence. Especially by the time playoffs roll around, having 1/3 or 1/2 of the D corps being rookies is not a formula for success, regardless of talent. The "established" guys – McAvoy, Carlo and Grizz – aren't even that experienced, although they've seen playoff action.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Ahcam is reported to have many of the skills as Krug; great skater, stickhandler, playmaker. He also has the same size. It will be interesting to see how he performs this season in Jacksonville/Providence and how Grzelcyk handles his new job description. It would possibly impact a decision on whom to protect for the expansion draft.
Small D, leadership, block shot play hard, hit like a 200 pounds D

Off the top of the head: Jack Ahcan

Reactions: Saxon Eric

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Half of Bruins nation would have waived him just to get him off the roster by end. I remember distinctly how bad he got jeered at live games. The reality is that Wheeler is an even better player than Tyler Seguin, yet people constantly relive the "mistake" of letting Seguin go, but no one says the same about Wheeler.
They didn’t let Wheeler go. The trade helped with a big metal glass.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Interested to see how Swayman looks against NHL level talent when camp opens. He's the goalie prospect im most excited about, but I've also followed him the closest.

Few other things im interested to see:

-Whose paired w/ McAvoy and how does he look away from Chara

- Craig Smith in general

- Does Stud's force someone out of the line-up

- 2015 Draftees still looking to crack the line-up, can they make an impact?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I do agree with this. But I think the point stands that no one seems to mention Wheeler in the class of Thornton and Seguin as elite players that we traded, when his play puts him in that tier.

IIRC Wheeler didn't have the "pedigree" that Thornton & Seguin had when they came into the league. Plus Winnipeg isn't a marquee location in the NHL.

Reactions: Gordoff and Alicat

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It’s already what Bruins did when Krug missed time the past seasons. I think it will keep on being this way.

True, but small wrinkle...Pasta is going to miss time to start the year. Who takes his spot till he returns? Obviously no one on the roster has the shot he does, so will the PP strategy change to start the year?

Reactions: Gordoff

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Oh great. We let one smurf go (Krug) and now we replace him with yet another smurf (Ahcam)? :facepalm:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
IIRC Wheeler didn't have the "pedigree" that Thornton & Seguin had when they came into the league. Plus Winnipeg isn't a marquee location in the NHL.

He was a former #5OA pick that was a UFA because he wouldn't sign in ARZ.

Reactions: BMC

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
True, but small wrinkle...Pasta is going to miss time to start the year. Who takes his spot till he returns? Obviously no one on the roster has the shot he does, so will the PP strategy change to start the year?
Maybe it will be Smith who is a shooter...When Pasta's back, i think it will be McAvoy, Keijci, Pasta, Bergy, Marchy...

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He was a former #5OA pick that was a UFA because he wouldn't sign in ARZ.

OK, but he didn't have the hype that both Thornton & Seguin had when they were drafted- they were considered "can't miss", I don't recall that being said of Wheeler. But then again I'm getting on & have trouble remembering :laugh: :wally:

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad