WC: 2021 Sweden Roster Talk

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Garpenlöv looked like he needed to take a shit real bad, when the cameras zoomed in on him when I was watching Denmark Czech. You will always receive 100% backing as a coach, until you are fired, especially in the media, so chances of him getting fired is probably still there

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
The failure in this tournament falls soley on the mangement staff. After the first two games, this team performed about as well as could be expected. Lost to pre-tournament favorites Czech Republic and Russia. Soundly beat Switzerland and won against Slovakia and Great Britain.

Garpen and co didn't prepare the team enough for the first two games, that is on them. Especially the game against Denmark, which might be the worst game I've seen team Sweden play - ever. Belarus the play was better but ran into a hot goalie

But I think they main problem was player selection. Losing Nils Lundqvist and Carl Klingberg were devastating, they were our best players until they got injured. But would we've won against the Czechs or Russia with them in the lineup? I'm not sure.

- Frödén - Wingerli - Berggren was the best line in Carlson Hockey Games. Still Berggren was cut and Frödén wasn't registered until the third game. Baffling
- Lundström was miscat in an offensive role. He wasn't awful, worked hard, killed penalties, blocked shots, but didn't create antyhing offensivly. I and many others questioned the selection beforehand. We still do.
- Too many small offensive D-men and not enough size and strength. I don't think Pudas, Lööv, Nygren are IHWC qualify defencemen. Would've rather taken some young NHL D with upside, like Björnfot and Brännström. Sellgren was very good once he was inserted into the line-up, it was obvious he should've been in from the start.
- Rakell wasted away with two shutdown guys for most of the tournament
- Olofsson has a terrific shot, but he doesn't contribute much else. He needs to play with a high level playmaker to feed him pucks, but we didn't really have one on the team. Maybe Adrian Kempe, but I can't remember them playing togehter 5v5
- It felt like the forwards were lacking puck carriers/playmakers. It was a combination of snipers (Rakell, Olofsson, Frödén, Fridberg) with hardworking two-way guys (Lindholm, Lindberg, Rasmussen, Sörensen, Lundeström, Wingerli, Klingberg). But no-one outside maybe Adrian Kempe who can hold the puck and control play. The team would've needed a Linus Omark or a Linus Klasen. Lundkvist was filling that role from the D until he got injured. But we needed a forward who can do the same

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The failure in this tournament falls soley on the mangement staff. After the first two games, this team performed about as well as could be expected. Lost to pre-tournament favorites Czech Republic and Russia. Soundly beat Switzerland and won against Slovakia and Great Britain.

Garpen and co didn't prepare the team enough for the first two games, that is on them. Especially the game against Denmark, which might be the worst game I've seen team Sweden play - ever. Belarus the play was better but ran into a hot goalie

But I think they main problem was player selection. Losing Nils Lundqvist and Carl Klingberg were devastating, they were our best players until they got injured. But would've won against the Czechs or Russia with them in the lineup? I'm not sure.

- Frödén - Wingerli - Berggren was the best line in Carlson Hockey Games. Still Berggren was cut and Frödén wasn't registered until the third game. Baffling
- Lundström was miscat in an offensive role. He wasn't awful, worked hard, killed penalties, blocked shots, but didn't create antyhing offensivly. I and many others questioned the selection beforehand. We still do.
- Too many small offensive D-men and not enough size and strength. I don't think Pudas, Lööv, Nygren are IHWC qualify defencemen. Would've rather taken some young NHL D with upside, like Björnfot and Brännström. Sellgren was very good once he was inserted into the line-up, it was obvious he should've been in from the start.
- Rakell wasted away with two shutdown guys for most of the tournament
- Olofsson has a terrific shot, but he doesn't contribute much else. He needs to play with a high level playmaker to feed him pucks, but we didn't really have one on the team. Maybe Adrian Kempe, but I can't remember them playing togehter 5v5
- It felt like the forwards were lacking puck carriers/playmakers. It was a combination of snipers (Rakell, Olofsson, Frödén, Fridberg) with hardworking two-way guys (Lindholm, Lindberg, Rasmussen, Sörensen, Lundeström, Wingerli). But no-one outside maybe Adrian Kempe who can hold the puck and control play. The team would've needed a Linus Omark or a Linus Klasen
Imagine if they had a young, speedy up-and-coming playmaker available who impressed in pre-tournament games but decided not to bring him.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Garpenlöv looked like he needed to take a shit real bad, when the cameras zoomed in on him when I was watching Denmark Czech. You will always receive 100% backing as a coach, until you are fired, especially in the media, so chances of him getting fired is probably still there

I don't think a Swedish national team coach has ever been fired so that won't happen. Quite frankly, I wouldn't put too much blame on Garpenlöv for the results. He and his coaching staff did what they could with this team. The hockey federation however.... they really need to rethink how they hire staff for all national teams. Guys like Roger Rönnberg and Sam Hallam have nothing better to do this time of the year. I'm sure they could be interested.

Last edited:

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
Coming in from the outside, if what is said is true, it is often a stupid idea to recruit within.

How many Swedes have had success in such a position? Maybe Roger Gustafsson.

Maybe it is the boys' club? That he is given a job just because he knows others?

It might work, but only if the coach has already shown by coaching other national teams.

In the long run it must be better to cough up money for quality and make people happy and interested.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If this is not the time to step back I don't know when is?.... In a couple of months Garpen cannot be coach of tre kronor.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
And they were still better than the captain, Tömmernes.

I don't think Tömmernes was nearly as bad as people in here seems to think. I think he was among the least bad defencemen. Why he was handed a spot and the captaincy without auditioning in Carlson Hockey Games I don't understand though. I think Garpenlöv had counted on NHL Ds and when they all declined he became desperate and started to scroll through the phone book.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Both Finland and Sweden got a lot of NHL declines.

Finnish coach:
- Has a clear game philosophy
- Selects players to fit the roles in that philosophy
- Get complete buy-in from the team

Swedish coach:
- Has no game plan
- Select random players with no regard to role
- Selects line and D pairings using a random generator
- Sits back and chews gum as we are being outplayed

Reactions: Husqvarna

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Olofsson, Kempe and Rakell were the guys hoping to improve their Olympic chances.

- Rakell is still in the mix for me, he'll need a bounce-back season though.
- Kempe improved his chances I think, he wanted to be a difference maker here.
- Olofsson ruined his chances completely, he brings nothing at 5 on 5. No spot for him on the PP either.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Olofsson, Kempe and Rakell were the guys hoping to improve their Olympic chances. Rakell is still in the mix for me, he'll need a bounce-back season though. Kempe improved his chances I think, he wanted to make a difference here. Olofsson ruined his chances completely, he brings nothing at 5 on 5. No spot for him on the PP either.

Agree, we can't have a player who only contributes on the PP. We have enough good players that can contribute in all situations. Rakells chances are pretty much the same, before this season I considered him a lock, but after the weak season he had (and good by others) he has dropped down the depth chart, he neither improved or hurt his chances in this tournament. Adrian Kempe was pretty good, I think he might be a good fit for 13th F on a team since he can play both winger and center.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Both Finland and Sweden got a lot of NHL declines.

Finnish coach:
- Has a clear game philosophy
- Selects players to fit the roles in that philosophy
- Get complete buy-in from the team

Swedish coach:
- Has no game plan
- Select random players with no regard to role
- Selects line and D pairings using a random generator
- Sits back and chews gum as we are being outplayed
Imo Sweden played well as the tournament went on.
Switzerland game? Domination.
Czech game? 2 great periods until a 3rd period collapse.
Russia game? Overall played a really good game that we would have been happy with in normal circumstances.
Did what they should against Great Britain and Slovakia.
Even against Belarus they actually played a pretty good game but just couldn't score.

Imo it all comes down to the team selection and lineup choices. Garpenlöv didn't use the pre-tournament games to best effect. He should have expected very few NHL players to join, and focused on really creating the best roster of SHL talent and building chemistry heading into the tournament.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The worst players where Rasmussen and Lindberg. How this Rasmussen is seen as some sort of lock for every WC is mind boogling.

A player who i actually thought did good was Max Friberg. He is a good checker for the 4th line.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Jak dobře komunikuje Garpenlöv s hráči NHL?

Stark says the questions of changing the coach is not on the table.
If the Swedish hockey federation does not react now and other crash comes at the Olympics, what will the people in the federation do?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Jak dobře komunikuje Garpenlöv s hráči NHL?

Stark says the questions of changing the coach is not on the table.
If the Swedish hockey federation does not react now and other crash comes at the Olympics, what will the people in the federation do?
It is HARD to screwup a Swedish best on best team... You and I could pick a roster and get them to the semi's.lol

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
It is HARD to screwup a Swedish best on best team... You and I could pick a roster and get them to the semi's.lol

Yep, 90% of the Olympic team is basically alreay decided. and it shouldn't matter too much if you select "the wrong players" for fourth line and third paring. The team will also be filled with experience and leadership with the likes of Hedman, Bäckström, Landeskog etc. So I think the team will perform reasonably we'll no matter who is coach. Isn't it common knowledge the Olympic team 2006 basically coached themselves with Sundin, Forsberg, Lidström, Alfredsson leading the way. The team won despite of BÅG, not due to him. I can see a similar situation here even if Garpenlöv selects Mario Kempe for the fourth line

Reactions: Czechboy and kyy

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Yep, 90% of the Olympic team is basically alreay decided. and it shouldn't matter too much if you select "the wrong players" for fourth line and third paring. The team will also be filled with experience and leadership with the likes of Hedman, Bäckström, Landeskog etc. So I think the team will perform reasonably we'll no matter who is coach. Isn't it common knowledge the Olympic team 2006 basically coached themselves with Sundin, Forsberg, Lidström, Alfredsson leading the way. The team won despite of BÅG, not due to him. I can see a similar situation here even if Garpenlöv selects Mario Kempe for the fourth line

What I am most worried about regarding the Olympic team is that Erik Karlsson will be selected and given a first pairing role due to his status and past performances, even though it is obvious he has declined a lot in recent years.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020

For an unknow reason for me, the Swedish coach regularly takes players from Europe, even though he has quality in NHL/AHL. This year is exception, this situation has never been before. The list of players who were not adressed at all for this tournament was not small. Only Grönborg took basically the entire roster of the NHL and Joel Lundqvist because of his brother.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
[QUOTE = "weklof, post: 178474503, člen: 80639"] Co se mě nejvíce obává ohledně olympijského týmu, je to, že bude vybrán Erik Karlsson a vzhledem k jeho postavení a minulým výkonům bude vybrána první párovací role je zřejmé, že v posledních letech hodně poklesl. [/ QUOTE]

What is Dahlin's position in the Olympic team?
What is the best pairing for you Sweden from an NHL player?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
[QUOTE = "weklof, post: 178474503, člen: 80639"] Co se mě nejvíce obává ohledně olympijského týmu, je to, že bude vybrán Erik Karlsson a vzhledem k jeho postavení a minulým výkonům bude vybrána první párovací role je zřejmé, že v posledních letech hodně poklesl. [/ QUOTE]

Dahlin would not be on my roster today. I think his chances of making the team next year are quite good though. Still a puppy, but it's only a matter of time before he starts taking huge steps.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden

I think probably something like this:

Hedman - Klingberg
Ekman-Larsson - Ekholm
Dahlin - Brodin

Also in the mix I see guys like Hampus Lindholm, Rasmus Andersson, Adam Larsson, Oscar Klefbom (if healthy), Gustav Forsling (if he keeps playing like the end of the season)

Also have these who might take another step next season:
Adam Boqvist, Tobias Björnfot, Erik Brännström, Rasmus Sandin, Nils Lundkvist

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
For an unknow reason for me, the Swedish coach regularly takes players from Europe, even though he has quality in NHL/AHL. This year is exception, this situation has never been before. The list of players who were not adressed at all for this tournament was not small. Only Grönborg took basically the entire roster of the NHL and Joel Lundqvist because of his brother.

That was one of the best things about Grönborg, and I think that is why he was so successful. He was coach for a lot of these players in U20s and then kept a good relationship with them when they went to the NHL. The Grönborg teams were loaded and I think he should get credit for getting them to suit up for Sweden. At the end of Mårts tenure, very few NHLers came. Keeping a good relationship with the NHLers is the most important part of the job. All players are banged up at the end of the season, so it is always easy to find an injury to blame if you don't want to come, but with Grönborg they came

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
I think probably something like this:

Hedman - Klingberg
Ekman-Larsson - Ekholm
Dahlin - Brodin

Also in the mix I see guys like Hampus Lindholm, Rasmus Andersson, Adam Larsson, Oscar Klefbom (if healthy), Gustav Forsling (if he keeps playing like the end of the season)

Also have these who might take another step next season:
Adam Boqvist, Tobias Björnfot, Erik Brännström, Rasmus Sandin, Nils Lundkvist
Karlsson is going to come back next season, just wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad