OT - NO POLITICS 2021- Summer on the horizon edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
A perfect example is the infrastructure of US and Canadian railroads. 100 years ago it was the best in the world - today not so much.

3 years ago I took a high-speed train from Beijing to Shenzhen that took 8 hours overnight - that was 1,500 miles or roughly Boston to Miami.

2 years ago I took a train to Paris from London and returned the same day............... it was wonderful.

As @BMC will attest Amtrak is hampered by the State of Connecticut that doesn't feel that upgrading the track between New Haven and Greenwich is worth the investment and trains can not go faster than 59 mph.

In Canada, Montreal/Toronto could be a trip a little over 2 hours as the track in a straight shot but too many grade crossings.
Well, as someone that lives less than a half mile away from the Amtrak line, and in a town that would have been turned into nothing more than a train track holder so that Acela can "Go Fast", let me just say that there is a bit more nuance to the discussion than it's not worth the investment. If the discussion was to include possibly a different route between NYC and Boston I think there are meaningful discussions there, But to simply try and straighten out the lines on the existing route will always be a non-starter. And I do get that a new route would simply move the NIMBY discussion to another set of towns, so it's just a mess of a situation.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
There will be some services that are likely to remain changed forever (frequency of housekeeping at hotels, etc), but there is a serious labor shortage right now where companies can't get enough people to staff to their optimum levels. While there are some businesses out there that are 100% looking at it as a way to save $$ and using it as an excuse to not hire, many businesses are desperate for help and know that they cannot ride their current workforce so hard in the long term without losing staff. The market will normalize, but it will take time - and consumers will likely see an eventual increase in costs as business realize they simply need to pay their people more. There's also the foreign worker issue; many tourist locations depend on J visa employees to staff their businesses and this is the 2nd summer in a row that labor pool hasn't been available. Also can't forget that the rising housing costs in many tourist locations makes it very difficult for lower wage earners (many in the service industry) to afford housing in areas where labor is sorely needed.

The pandemic forced many people in service jobs to find other careers, many took the opportunity to go back to school, and many are just fed up with hard work for relatively low wages and have the safety net of the additional unemployment money. It will be interesting to see what happens in September when the subsidy ends; I think we'll see more people re-enter the workforce. As the pandemic gets more under control in areas where foreign workers come from and we see borders/employment re-open, more people will come here to work in service jobs. We'll see service levels return more to "normal", but the housing issue really needs to be looked at.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
. The market will normalize, but it will take time - and consumers will likely see an eventual increase in costs as business realize they simply need to pay their people more.

This has never been a problem for me for the most part.

Reminds me when Papa Johns was threatening to have to raise the price of their shit tier pizza to pay for medicare increase or minimum wage increase or something like that.

Ended up being like 15-20 cents per pizza they would have to add on.

I think this normalization is long overdue.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
This has never been a problem for me for the most part.

Reminds me when Papa Johns was threatening to have to raise the price of their shit tier pizza to pay for medicare increase or minimum wage increase or something like that.

Ended up being like 15-20 cents per pizza they would have to add on.

I think this normalization is long overdue.

I completely agree. I'm sure it will be a "thing" for many, though.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well, as someone that lives less than a half mile away from the Amtrak line, and in a town that would have been turned into nothing more than a train track holder so that Acela can "Go Fast", let me just say that there is a bit more nuance to the discussion than it's not worth the investment. If the discussion was to include possibly a different route between NYC and Boston I think there are meaningful discussions there, But to simply try and straighten out the lines on the existing route will always be a non-starter. And I do get that a new route would simply move the NIMBY discussion to another set of towns, so it's just a mess of a situation.

I understand exactly where you are coming from.

If somehow they could upgrade the tracks in Connecticut to be at least equal to New Jersey that would be a huge upgrade.

The existing Metro-North tracks are vital for commuter rail but there is a solution but it would be painful for 5 years and that would be rebuilding I-95 from New Haven to Greenwich. That is probably the worst highway in the entire Interstate system and was horribly designed back in the '50s especially when you compare it to the New Jersey Turnpike.

Connecticut Turnpike - Wikipedia

If I-95 could be rebuilt they could then add railroad tracks in the medium for high-speed lines. The only way that could possibly work is to also rebuild the Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkway as well. At least they finally replaced the Sikorsky Bridge 20 years ago.

Reactions: BlackCrowes

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I understand exactly where you are coming from.

If somehow they could upgrade the tracks in Connecticut to be at least equal to New Jersey that would be a huge upgrade.

The existing Metro-North tracks are vital for commuter rail but there is a solution but it would be painful for 5 years and that would be rebuilding I-95 from New Haven to Greenwich. That is probably the worst highway in the entire Interstate system and was horribly designed back in the '50s especially when you compare it to the New Jersey Turnpike.

Connecticut Turnpike - Wikipedia

If I-95 could be rebuilt they could then add railroad tracks in the medium for high-speed lines. The only way that could possibly work is to also rebuild the Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkway as well. At least they finally replaced the Sikorsky Bridge 20 years ago.
Believe me, I'm painfully aware of the mess that is I95 and the Merritt (as I'm sure you are as well). When I take my Son to the rink in the summers, from Old Lyme to Norwich (a 20 minute ride in the off season) we play a game where we count how many CT cars are on the road versus all the other states. It's not a close comparison!

And I agree, in a perfect world I think there is a path to improving both the car and rail lines that could carve a path through a much less populated section of both CT and RI to improve both modes of transportation, I just don't trust any of our leaders from local to the highest level to either think that big or spend that big, and it's a shame. I think we're just stuck with this mess.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
There will be some services that are likely to remain changed forever (frequency of housekeeping at hotels, etc), but there is a serious labor shortage right now where companies can't get enough people to staff to their optimum levels. While there are some businesses out there that are 100% looking at it as a way to save $$ and using it as an excuse to not hire, many businesses are desperate for help and know that they cannot ride their current workforce so hard in the long term without losing staff. The market will normalize, but it will take time - and consumers will likely see an eventual increase in costs as business realize they simply need to pay their people more. There's also the foreign worker issue; many tourist locations depend on J visa employees to staff their businesses and this is the 2nd summer in a row that labor pool hasn't been available. Also can't forget that the rising housing costs in many tourist locations makes it very difficult for lower wage earners (many in the service industry) to afford housing in areas where labor is sorely needed.

The pandemic forced many people in service jobs to find other careers, many took the opportunity to go back to school, and many are just fed up with hard work for relatively low wages and have the safety net of the additional unemployment money. It will be interesting to see what happens in September when the subsidy ends; I think we'll see more people re-enter the workforce. As the pandemic gets more under control in areas where foreign workers come from and we see borders/employment re-open, more people will come here to work in service jobs. We'll see service levels return more to "normal", but the housing issue really needs to be looked at.
great post, same issues here on Van Island, hotels unable to operate at full capacity, same with many restaurants, simply not enough staff forcing many to open up far under capacity.

I got out of the hospitality industry due to Covid, was the wake-up call I think I needed

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The Supreme Court will now decide if this monster gets a new death penalty phase or if his current conviction stands.

This pisses me off. You put a bomb behind an 8 year old boy and walked away. You deserve what you got and what you are about to get.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Believe me, I'm painfully aware of the mess that is I95 and the Merritt (as I'm sure you are as well). When I take my Son to the rink in the summers, from Old Lyme to Norwich (a 20 minute ride in the off season) we play a game where we count how many CT cars are on the road versus all the other states. It's not a close comparison!

And I agree, in a perfect world I think there is a path to improving both the car and rail lines that could carve a path through a much less populated section of both CT and RI to improve both modes of transportation, I just don't trust any of our leaders from local to the highest level to either think that big or spend that big, and it's a shame. I think we're just stuck with this mess.

Acela actually cranks up speed east of New Haven and most of RI and Massachusetts.

The UK and France figured out how to upgrade an even older system and London to Paris takes 2h 15 minutes to cover 213 miles which is the same as Boston/NY.

:banghead:

Reactions: BlackCrowes

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

I saw that Tortuga's was closed on Sunday cause they didn't have the staff. :pout:

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Acela actually cranks up speed east of New Haven and most of RI and Massachusetts.

The UK and France figured out how to upgrade an even older system and London to Paris takes 2h 15 minutes to cover 213 miles which is the same as Boston/NY.

:banghead:
Well, I probably should have provided a bit of context with my slow down comments! In my very narrow minded view of the world, I'm basically placing my view on the bridge I drive under all the time, and when Acela is passing it's moving at a normal train clip, not fast speeds by any means. The area I'm in is southbound for about 5 miles before you reach the CT River and Old Saybrook, and Northbound just after the CT River. I thought from all the vantage points I see the train it isn't cranking, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, I do wish they would find a way to improve it without too much pain. I don't like to drive and I HATE to fly, so I'd use train service if it was faster/cheaper.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I aged today. I am now only three years away from 30.

Oof. It's sneaking up on me kind of fast like.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Oh your poor dear...:sarcasm:. I am a year and a half away from 70.

Fair point. But thirty is essentially the end of youth you could argue. I don't know. I would like to hold onto that youth as much as I can. It's just a weird feeling because you never think you get to be 30 as a kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Fair point. But thirty is essentially the end of youth you could argue. I don't know. I would like to hold onto that youth as much as I can. It's just a weird feeling because you never think you get to be 30 as a kid.
My 30s were way more fun than my 20s.

Your youth will continue as long as you want it to, and I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thirty is the new 25.
Enjoy your youth and health.

Reactions: EvilDead

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My 30s were way more fun than my 20s.

Your youth will continue as long as you want it to, and I’m sure you’ll be fine.
Agree 100%.

I'll be 39 in October and while the idea of 40 is a little scary (when the hell did this happen lol) I feel like I am finally at a point where I can actually start traveling and really focus on the things that interest me.

I was terrified of 30 and it just seems so foolish now.

My advice to the young ones here: Age aint nothing but a number. Enjoy and embrace your new decade and live life to the fullest while trying to stay on the right side of the law.

Reactions: rfournier103

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Just wait until someone asks you if you were alive during 9/11. Holy hell did that one catch me off guard and make me feel so many ways, old being one of them.

Completely innocent question but it never dawned on me that someone would ask me the same questions I asked my parents about Vietnam and my grandparents about World War II.

Life has a funny way of coming full circle.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
30, 40 & 50 were nothing.
60, now 60, slapped me right in the kisser. Yep, 60 got my attention.
The worst for me was when Amanda turned 30. I though "what the hell???..I am 29".

Now she is 41...yikes how time flies.

I work tomorrow...took Thurs off and Friday is it. I will be among the retired folks.
My daughter (that I have not seen in over a year and a half ) is taking an overnight flight from SFO to Boston and I will pick her up early Sat morning. Both of my sisters are coming over .

Sunday morning we will drive to Rockland Maine (me and Amanda) to go out for a 6 day sail on the schooner. Can't wait.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
30, 40 & 50 were nothing.
60, now 60, slapped me right in the kisser. Yep, 60 got my attention.

64 1/2 was the doozie for me when this showed up in the mail

Medicare_card_new.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad