Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Heading to Indianapolis next week.
Never been before.

Gonna see our daughter for first time in over a year.
Plus The Bride and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary while we are there.

Anyone have any suggestions for good place for dinner or things to do?
I know one day we will go to the zoo. We all love animals.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I lost a crown along with the tooth (back molar) yesterday. It has been an issue for awhile but I wasn't expecting this. The only way to fix it is to get an implant.

I meet with the doctor who handles these kinds of issues next week to see if the bulk of the work can be done at once or if I will need a bone graft first.

The lesson I have learned from all of this is that if you crack your back molar and need a crown, get a preemptive root canal before getting the crown.

My issue wouldn't have started if my dentist had just referred me to get a root canal before the crown got put on.

Reactions: rfournier103

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Never been before.

Plus The Bride and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary while we are there.

Congrats Wally!

If you are looking for a REALLY good steak, then St Elmo's is one of the best in the US. Perfect for a 40th Anniversary dinner. if you are thinking about going, you'll need to make a reservation sooner rather than later though......and be sure to order the shrimp cocktail to start.
Menu

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Never been before.

This is awesome.

Never been but you guys will have a blast and get to catch up and make up for lost time.

Congrats to you and Mrs. Wally.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Ah...summers pass too quickly. Here in the bottom half of the world we're on the cusp of winter. Which I normally don't mind, but my state has just been placed in full Covid lockdown again so I'm back to being virtually house-bound and allowed outside only for very limited reasons. Which is draining, frankly. As of next week I'll be fully vaccinated but our overall rollout is glacially slow. The sooner the Bruins kick off their series with the Islanders and give me something to cheer for, the better.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Never been before.

So you're just missing the Indy 500? I have a long-held ambition to get to that race one day, if the world ever returns to some sort of normality.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thanks all.
Looking forward to meeting my 4 legged grandson for the first time too.

‘Bear’

8FDAFECC-D18B-442F-B5C8-C1AF6CA6F5F5.jpeg

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Congrats Wally!

If you are looking for a REALLY good steak, then St Elmo's is one of the best in the US. Perfect for a 40th Anniversary dinner. if you are thinking about going, you'll need to make a reservation sooner rather than later though......and be sure to order the shrimp cocktail to start.
Menu
Rocco, what the hell is the deal with either navy bean soup (perfectly fine starter) or tomato juice???? Like, is that literally a glass of juice? Perhaps I'm not so sophisticated, but that's a new one for this guy....

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Ah...summers pass too quickly. Here in the bottom half of the world we're on the cusp of winter. Which I normally don't mind, but my state has just been placed in full Covid lockdown again so I'm back to being virtually house-bound and allowed outside only for very limited reasons. Which is draining, frankly. As of next week I'll be fully vaccinated but our overall rollout is glacially slow. The sooner the Bruins kick off their series with the Islanders and give me something to cheer for, the better.

Keep your head up and keep posting, you're a must read. Wishing you many blessings my friend.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
One of my pet peeves is illiteracy. I think everyone should know how to read and write, and unless you have a learning disability, I don’t think there’s any excuse to not read and write at at least a fourth grade level.

One gentleman in another area of the forum started a thread about “favorite books.” He said his is Earnest Hemingway’s “For Who [sic] The Bell Tolls.”

Now, I know that the title is “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” but that’s not the worst of it. Every. Single. Word. that ends with an “S” is immediately preceded by an apostrophe. If you’re advanced enough to be reading Hemingway, wouldn’t you learn how to use an apostrophe just by reading...?

This morning I was reminded of why I stay out of the Lounge. Ugh.

Reactions: Fopppa

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
One of my pet peeves is illiteracy. I think everyone should know how to read and write, and unless you have a learning disability, I don’t think there’s any excuse to not read and write at at least a fourth grade level.

One gentleman in another area of the forum started a thread about “favorite books.” He said his is Earnest Hemingway’s “For Who [sic] The Bell Tolls.”

Now, I know that the title is “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” but that’s not the worst of it. Every. Single. Word. that ends with an “S” is immediately preceded by an apostrophe. If you’re advanced enough to be reading Hemingway, wouldn’t you learn how to use an apostrophe just by reading...?

I feel you pain! Have some cookie's.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: rfournier103

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Never been before.

Have a wonderful time !

I am looking forward to July so I can see my daughter. We are going out on the schooner !

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Not looking to "toot my own horn", but I thought I'd share this.

So much is made about "kids today", and how society has softened.
There's still hope for a better future so long as we have people who care.

This was an email sent to my principal about me.
Names are redacted.

Dear PRINCIPAL

I hope you are all enjoying the weather and the winding down of the school year. I just wanted to write a letter of appreciation regarding Mr. Gaumont at SCHOOL and to make you aware of the amazing things he has done for my son this year as both coach and teacher.

First of all, having worked in this district for almost 20 years now and having children of my own in the district for the last ten years, I have not once come across a teacher and coach of his caliber, one with his natural ability to relate, to inspire, to engage, and to motivate. He has been my son's coach for both basketball and for baseball, as well as his S.S. teacher. Coach Gaumont has "moved mountains" with my son. My son JOHNNY struggles greatly with organization, attention, language in general and has never cared too much about his school work or wanting to improve. This year alone Coach Gaumont has placed high standards on my son. He has required him to be held accountable for his actions and for his academics. Coach requires weekly grade checks for his players. This forced my son to always be aware of his standings in each class, and it was less likely for him to fall behind because of these checks. If a grade check wasn't completed on time, which did happen once for JOHNNY, the player had to sit out of the following game. JOHNNY never forgot again after that! This accountability was both consistent and regularly enforced.

Above all this, Coach Gaumont has also made efforts numerous times outside of school hours to contact JOHNNY and myself to provide words of praise for his effort and performance. This gave my son a purpose- he wanted so badly to make his coach and team proud, and he felt that his efforts were noticed for the first time by a coach and teacher. JOHNNY then put in more effort than ever to improve his skills in his sport, spending hours at the batting cages and outside pitching into a milk crate. I have added the most recent email he sent to JOHNNY below so you can see exactly what I am referring to. Coach Gaumont is EXACTLY what my son needed. He will be "that" coach and teacher that is forever remembered by my son. The quote "They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" comes to mind when I think of what he has done for my son. Litchfield is incredibly lucky to have an educator and role-model like Michael Gaumont. I am saddened that my son has only had one year to be under his influence, but know that he will make a difference in many other children's lives in the years to come.
Fondly,

MOM

Emailed last night:

JOHNNY,

Awesome job pitching today. You really saved the day in that second game. I always know that I can depend on you to hustle and give your very best effort.

You don’t have to throw 80mph to be an effective pitcher. I think about a guy like Tom Glavine who never threw super hard, but had excellent command and could hit his spots. He had a heck of a career.
It’s been awesome coaching you and teaching you this school year. Keep working on the swing like we talked about.

Coach

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

that’s just how that one guy/gal has always posted. It’s their gimmick. For some reason the lounge eats it right up.

i find them completely insufferable.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Never been before.

congrats and have fun, we haven`t seen my son since the summer of 2019, he was slated to come last summer but of course that was not happening, we miss him so much, zoom is great and all but it`s not the same which I don`t have to tell you

Reactions: Gee Wally

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme

Names are redacted.

Dear PRINCIPAL

I hope you are all enjoying the weather and the winding down of the school year. I just wanted to write a letter of appreciation regarding Mr. Gaumont at SCHOOL and to make you aware of the amazing things he has done for my son this year as both coach and teacher.

First of all, having worked in this district for almost 20 years now and having children of my own in the district for the last ten years, I have not once come across a teacher and coach of his caliber, one with his natural ability to relate, to inspire, to engage, and to motivate. He has been my son's coach for both basketball and for baseball, as well as his S.S. teacher. Coach Gaumont has "moved mountains" with my son. My son JOHNNY struggles greatly with organization, attention, language in general and has never cared too much about his school work or wanting to improve. This year alone Coach Gaumont has placed high standards on my son. He has required him to be held accountable for his actions and for his academics. Coach requires weekly grade checks for his players. This forced my son to always be aware of his standings in each class, and it was less likely for him to fall behind because of these checks. If a grade check wasn't completed on time, which did happen once for JOHNNY, the player had to sit out of the following game. JOHNNY never forgot again after that! This accountability was both consistent and regularly enforced.

Above all this, Coach Gaumont has also made efforts numerous times outside of school hours to contact JOHNNY and myself to provide words of praise for his effort and performance. This gave my son a purpose- he wanted so badly to make his coach and team proud, and he felt that his efforts were noticed for the first time by a coach and teacher. JOHNNY then put in more effort than ever to improve his skills in his sport, spending hours at the batting cages and outside pitching into a milk crate. I have added the most recent email he sent to JOHNNY below so you can see exactly what I am referring to. Coach Gaumont is EXACTLY what my son needed. He will be "that" coach and teacher that is forever remembered by my son. The quote "They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel" comes to mind when I think of what he has done for my son. Litchfield is incredibly lucky to have an educator and role-model like Michael Gaumont. I am saddened that my son has only had one year to be under his influence, but know that he will make a difference in many other children's lives in the years to come.
Fondly,

MOM

Emailed last night:

JOHNNY,

Awesome job pitching today. You really saved the day in that second game. I always know that I can depend on you to hustle and give your very best effort.

You don’t have to throw 80mph to be an effective pitcher. I think about a guy like Tom Glavine who never threw super hard, but had excellent command and could hit his spots. He had a heck of a career.
It’s been awesome coaching you and teaching you this school year. Keep working on the swing like we talked about.

Coach
That's awesome! You sound like a great teacher/coach and a better person. You should toot your own horn. Keep it up!

Reactions: eightspokedb

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Names are redacted.

Dear PRINCIPAL

Fondly,

MOM

Emailed last night:

JOHNNY,

Coach
great story, thanks for sharing

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Lounge is essentially HF’s septic tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad