Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
problem here is BB isn't very good at much else other than that lol. we really need a coach that can do both.
Yeah, I'm not in the fire BB club. I'm waiting to see what he can do with a roster of NHL players and NHL level goaltending before I decide he needs to be fired into the sun. Having a more normal regular season with a real training camp and off season program is going to help too. Consider that he took over half way thru a season that ended up being cut short then the next season (only 56 games) had basically no training camp and played the first month or so under the most difficult circumstances of any team in the league with mostly terrible goaltending and still got the team to within 4 points of a playoff spot late in the season. All despite not having a legit PP, no depth and Gambrell playing 2C for a few weeks. Sorry but I just don't agree that he needs to go yet. I like his system, he just needs NHL players to play it which were hard to find on this team last season.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, well unfortunately we don't have a ton of depth at 1 or 2C. I think Bonino is locked in at 3, and I'd rather they not move him up or down regardless of why. If we can keep a consistent 3rd line I think it'll help because we all know the top two lines are going to be a traffic jam of constantly moving pieces.
Would definitely be helpful to add another center to shift Couture to wing. Then you only need Couture to play center in the event of someone else getting hurt. It'll be interesting to see if there is a another move to be made. Still some talent out there on the trade market. This seems like the time when DW remains patient until trade prices drop to what he's comfortable paying. I still don't think this is the roster that shows up to camp but I could easily be wrong. Kind of a 50/50 just knowing DW's history.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Would definitely be helpful to add another center to shift Couture to wing. Then you only need Couture to play center in the event of someone else getting hurt. It'll be interesting to see if there is a another move to be made. Still some talent out there on the trade market. This seems like the time when DW remains patient until trade prices drop to what he's comfortable paying. I still don't think this is the roster that shows up to camp but I could easily be wrong. Kind of a 50/50 just knowing DW's history.
Bring in Bozak on a one year deal.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Bring in Bozak on a one year deal.
He's still available? Not an expert on him but reading all Sheng and Kurz stuff on him with he other centers it seems like he's no better than a 3C which is already locked down by Bonino. Just doesn't seem like he has enough of an offensive game to play in the top six and be worth the cap space. I would rather them trade for Dvorak than Bozak. At least he's young. In general I think I would prefer they trade for a C between 25-29 to play in the top 6. In this hypothetical there is salary space to do it so it's a matter of who they can trade. In general I would prefer a player similar to Labanc's counting stats but a center. Maybe someone younger who hasn't quite broken thru? Not sure if that particular player is out there right now, just talking ideal situations that don't include Eichel for the moment.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I suspect your wrong on what DW is doing ( or not doing IMO) but we will see. I however do not think this roster finishes the season the same. I would not at all be surprised to see either Hertl, Labanc, Meier or Burns shipped out for picks/prospects at the deadline depending on Wilson's plan for 22-23 and the outcome of Kanes investigation.

Completely agree on wanting Couture to move to wing. It's probably the only way to get max value out of that contract given how Couture can't seem to stay healthy.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I forgot Bozak was even in the league
He's still one of the best faceoff men in the game. Had he taken enough draws his 56.7 win rate would have placed him 10th in the league. He's been top 30 every year for like a decade now.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
He's still one of the best faceoff men in the game. Had he taken enough draws his 56.7 win rate would have placed him 10th in the league. He's been top 30 every year for like a decade now.
That’s something the Sharks can improve on

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It seems like that's about all he's really adding though. Maybe he and Bonino both play the 3rd line? I dunno, seems like they should aim a little higher and younger.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I suspect your wrong on what DW is doing ( or not doing IMO) but we will see. I however do not think this roster finishes the season the same. I would not at all be surprised to see either Hertl, Labanc, Meier or Burns shipped out for picks/prospects at the deadline depending on Wilson's plan for 22-23 and the outcome of Kanes investigation.

Completely agree on wanting Couture to move to wing. It's probably the only way to get max value out of that contract given how Couture can't seem to stay healthy.
The Kane investigation could definitely force DW's hand. I kinda wonder if the Kane issue has anything to do with why Hertl hasn't signed yet. Didn't really seem like he was having much fun last season. He'll make a killing in UFA if he makes it there. Someone will pay him 9+mil for at least 5 years. Losing Kane and Hertl in a 12 month period would definitely put the team into a rebuild IMO™.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
The Kane investigation could definitely force DW's hand. I kinda wonder if the Kane issue has anything to do with why Hertl hasn't signed yet. Didn't really seem like he was having much fun last season. He'll make a killing in UFA if he makes it there. Someone will pay him 9+mil for at least 5 years. Losing Kane and Hertl in a 12 month period would definitely put the team into a rebuild IMO™.
Where is this Hertl and Kane stuff coming from? Maybe I missed it. Hertl, Kane and Barabanov seemed to be having a good time out there. The chemistry seemed legit.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Where is this Hertl and Kane stuff coming from? Maybe I missed it. Hertl, Kane and Barabanov seemed to be having a good time out there. The chemistry seemed legit.

There was one goal Hertl scored where he looked about as excited as a person who just found out they have to go into the DMV and that all the appointment slots have been filled. I think that goal might have colored people's interpretations of how much fun he was having.

Obviously there's no guarantee Hertl stays after this season, either, and he could be in line for a very big raise (especially if he has a monster season) that the Sharks would, as currently constructed, have a hard time matching. That's always going to engender speculation.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It seems like that's about all he's really adding though. Maybe he and Bonino both play the 3rd line? I dunno, seems like they should aim a little higher and younger.
As a one year veteran I think it makes sense. Centers drive lines and it’s hard to gauge what we have really in players like Barb and The likes if they’re constantly forced to play in their own zone.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
That was only the last 7 or 8 games though. I think when that line was put to together maybe Hertl was at least enjoying the on ice a little more but throughout the season and after watching every single one of his media availabilities it just seemed like he wasn't nearly as happy as he had been in previous seasons.
There was one goal Hertl scored where he looked about as excited as a person who just found out they have to go into the DMV and that all the appointment slots have been filled. I think that goal might have colored people's interpretations of how much fun he was having.

Obviously there's no guarantee Hertl stays after this season, either, and he could be in line for a very big raise (especially if he has a monster season) that the Sharks would, as currently constructed, have a hard time matching. That's always going to engender speculation.
Exactly the type of thing I remember seeing way more of this last season.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
As a one year veteran I think it makes sense. Centers drive lines and it’s hard to gauge what we have really in players like Barb and The likes if they’re constantly forced to play in their own zone.
Maybe if they lose Kane? Just not sure there's a fit there since they really need a top 6 player over another bottom 6 old dude. I think they've already addressed that though with Bonino, Cogliano, Merkley and Pedersen. For the top 6 it's going to be key that Either Kane is cleared and the chemistry issues are cleared up enough for them to be good co-workers AND Meier has to have a more engaged season. Hertl has to stay in the lineup too. A lot of balls in the air at the moment. We'll see what happens in the next month or so before camp. Could either be status quo or a shit ton of upheaval. If they lose Kane they either have to trade for someone, sign someone for a short term deal, or hope Eklund is so good in camp he makes the NHL this season. I wouldn't count out Wiesblatt as an option too but I don't know if he's a future top 6 player or not. Seems like a very determined young man though. As Pavs has shown, sometimes that's the most important trait.

As for the bolded, that's definitely not always true.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
That was only the last 7 or 8 games though. I think when that line was put to together maybe Hertl was at least enjoying the on ice a little more but throughout the season and after watching every single one of his media availabilities it just seemed like he wasn't nearly as happy as he had been in previous seasons.
Exactly the type of thing I remember seeing way more of this last season.
Hertl spent months on the road, missed time due to COVID, and had a newborn (which who knows how often he was able to see along with his wife due to protocols). If he looked like he wasn’t enjoying hockey to the fullest in particular moments on a losing team, it’s pretty obvious why given the season they all endured.

Hertl wants to be in SJ long-term (said as much) and is the only player the fan base is united in liking, so he will be signing in SJ barring the team being garbage again and him getting flipped at the TDL.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Sharks shouldn't have to worry about competing for league-worst goaltending this year.

I have no idea whether Hart is a burnt-out flash in the pan or not, but Jones alone should hold them back (plus they have only about $4 million in cap space and need to resign Sanheim).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks shouldn't have to worry about competing for league-worst goaltending this year.

I have no idea whether Hart is a burnt-out flash in the pan or not, but Jones alone should hold them back (plus they have only about $4 million in cap space and need to resign Sanheim).

At this point, even Philly isn't going to have league-worst goaltending when Buffalo is currently running Anderson and Dell. lol

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
At this point, even Philly isn't going to have league-worst goaltending when Buffalo is currently running Anderson and Dell. lol
Have you seen what Arizona has? (That said, I don't know if you can really call Buffalo and Arizona NHL teams anymore...)

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Have you seen what Arizona has? (That said, I don't know if you can really call Buffalo and Arizona NHL teams anymore...)
It's funny that Arizona gets praised for being transparent about their aspirations as a team this season while abusing the cap system to win in the future. Tampa got panned for being transparent about their aspirations and abusing the cap system to win in the present.

I wonder what the reactions would be if a model franchise with winning pedigree pulled what Arizona is doing

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
It's funny that Arizona gets praised for being transparent about their aspirations as a team this season while abusing the cap system to win in the future. Tampa got panned for being transparent about their aspirations and abusing the cap system to win in the present.

I wonder what the reactions would be if a model franchise with winning pedigree pulled what Arizona is doing
Blatant tanking.. I wonder if there's a way that the league can step in and say "Hey, we know what you're doing. You need to make a better effort to keep your franchise competitive or we'll step in" I don't know in what capacity the league would or could do anything but it just seems like it goes against the overall integrity of the game, and the league to do what some of these teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad