Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Ferraro paces for the same place offensively as vlasic did for 99% of his career so don't give me he give needs to grow offensively garbage. And we all know the price tag he was given.

And we are also talking about a gm that has over paid every single offensively inept forward this team has ever had.

Reactions: tealzamboni

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Mario is not an offensive player. His skill is on the defensive side. If he wants a payday like those guys, he would need to improve offensively or get even better in his own zone like Pelech.

Attachments

• Capssture.PNG
    Capssture.PNG
    90.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Captwwwure.PNG
    Captwwwure.PNG
    100.8 KB · Views: 12

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Of course, what would Pelech's reputation be like right now if he were playing for the Sharks instead of the Islanders and Trotz's system? Not that it made him or anything--he's a good player--but he fits into that very well. And he started to get considerable recognition this postseason, so I'm sure that also helped him secure a deal as good as this one despite his lack of offense.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Mario is not an offensive player. His skill is on the defensive side. If he wants a payday like those guys, he would need to improve offensively or get even better in his own zone like Pelech.
I don't think that's necessarily true. He put up decent offensive stats in his entire minor league tenure. Not a big goal scorer but had some 40 point seasons. I get the quality of competition wasn't exactly elite, but he's shown a willingness to drive plays.

I think his priority right now is to be the defensive Stallworth on his pairing knowing how aggressive and how limited Burns is becoming. I'd like to see what he could do away from Burns, but I don't trust Brent enough to anchor his own pairing without a defensively capable partner.

Reactions: themelkman

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Ferraro paces for the same place offensively as vlasic did for 99% of his career so don't give me he give needs to grow offensively garbage. And we all know the price tag he was given.

And we are also talking about a gm that has over paid every single offensively inept forward this team has ever had.

You might want to research that. Last season Ferraro was on pace for 25 points over 82 games. Vlasic has bettered that almost often as not.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You might want to research that. Last season Ferraro was on pace for 25 points over 82 games. Vlasic has bettered that almost often as not.

He has bested 25 points 5 times in his career. And can we stop acting like he had anything to do with his years he did best it also.

99% of his points are just him playing give and go with one of the top 2 lines when this team had 6 actual top 6 forwards. He never created his own points.

But even then, vlasic should not have got anything over 5 mil at any point in his career, same for peleech. But here we are and now defensemen like them which includes a young mario ferraro can now demand well over 5 mil for being all but useless offensively.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
He has bested 25 points 5 times in his career. And can we stop acting like he had anything to do with his years he did best it also.

99% of his points are just him playing give and go with one of the top 2 lines when this team had 6 actual top 6 forwards. He never created his own points.

But even then, vlasic should not have got anything over 5 mil at any point in his career, same for peleech. But here we are and now defensemen like them which includes a young mario ferraro can now demand well over 5 mil for being all but useless offensively.

Walk me through how peak Vlasic didn't deserve 5M?

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Walk me through how peak Vlasic didn't deserve 5M?

Because outside of stick checks and boxing out defenders on rushes he was basically useless. He did not know how to handle the puck defensively or offensively. He always relegated the breakout passes to braun or his other defensive partner.

You can go back to any thread that was talking about the rumored vlasic extension at the time. I have been firm with anything over 5 mil a year and it would be a big mistake. And wilson being as clueless as he is with extensions took it even farther and gave him 2 extra mil for an extra 4 years then he deserved.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Because outside of stick checks and boxing out defenders on rushes he was basically useless. He did not know how to handle the puck defensively or offensively. He always relegated the breakout passes to braun or his other defensive partner.

You can go back to any thread that was talking about the rumored vlasic extension at the time. I have been firm with anything over 5 mil a year and it would be a big mistake. And wilson being as clueless as he is with extensions took it even farther and gave him 2 extra mil for an extra 4 years then he deserved.
Well what the heck do you think Vlasic was trying to do out there? That's exactly what he was trying to do

He was out there with a gameplan, he came out and established his game, he went out and worked hard... I agree he wasn't great, but he was good. He did a lot of things in order to try to earn $7 million

To just say you can only do stick checks and box out defenders and you're bad and you don't deserve $7 million

BALONEY

You deserve $7 million at the end of 82 games if you get DW to offer you a contract for $7 million

It's easy to sit back and analyze and you know the game is easy from where we sit but I think you're disrespecting Vlasic when you say say "go out there and handle the puck". THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE TRIED TO DO

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

So, he had almost no contribution in creating the 11 goals he scored in a season?

To add some perspective, Ferraro has 3 goals in 2 years and Vlasic’s worst full season goal total is equal to Ferraro’s best.

You may want to put “99%” on timeout for a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
There's a lot of revisionism regarding peak Vlasic and it's disheartening. The guy was arguably the best pure defensive defenseman in the NHL for a period. It's a shame he's a shell of himself now, but that happens to all players.

There where seasons where his defensive game was so dominant that the ice was tilted in SJ’s favor simply by him being on the ice - despite his lacking high end offensive talent. Peak Vlasic was a beast.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Are both Balcers and Dahlen projected to be in the top 9 this year? I assume Balcers is the more probable based on last year's success... is that a correct read?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Are both Balcers and Dahlen projected to be in the top 9 this year? I assume Balcers is the more probable based on last year's success... is that a correct read?
Balcers absolutely is; Dahlen probably will because of his contract situation. The other options for the 9th top 9 slot are Leonard, Chekhovich, Chmelevski, Blichfeld, or I guess Eklund or Weisblatt.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Balcers is definitely top 9 projected. Dahlen more in the realm of "I hope he earns it." I don't think he is projected there since he will be in competition with guys like Leonard and Chmelevski vying for the same spot. I can't even say with certainty that he is the front runner of those 3 or even the most talented.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Sheng posted the Sharks current cap situation with Hill in the fold and it included both Pederson and Dahlen. Wondering if those 2 guys stick by default. Wanted to add i wouldn't be upset at that as I have high hopes for both guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad