Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Sheng posted the Sharks current cap situation with Hill in the fold and it included both Pederson and Dahlen. Wondering if those 2 guys stick by default. Wanted to add i wouldn't be upset at that as I have high hopes for both guys.
Both have to pass through waivers and should make the team unless others are a full step ahead of them. I also expect that we will keep 14 forwards because we have some extra cap space.

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose
So assuming Kane doesn’t play this year or his contract is terminated, who are the 8 wingers we likely deploy this year in the line up?

Meier
Labanc
Balcers
Barabanov
Dahlen
Leonard
Cogliano
Nieto

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Are both Balcers and Dahlen projected to be in the top 9 this year? I assume Balcers is the more probable based on last year's success... is that a correct read?
Dahlen is a defensively lacking forward so he’s either a top 9 role as a scoring line winger or he’s kind of useless as his skillset doesn’t project in a checking line role. For now I’d pencil them both into the top 9 though not sure how the lines shakeout given the 3rd line (where Dahlen is most suited talent wise) is going to be a more shutdown line with Bonino.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
People really forget Vlasic had some insane playoff series shutting down some of the best players in the world on a team friendly contract before his current extension

it's also amazing that he decided to stop being adept at being a shutdown defenseman the moment he signed said contract and has absolutely f***ing sucked ever since.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Sheng posted the Sharks current cap situation with Hill in the fold and it included both Pederson and Dahlen. Wondering if those 2 guys stick by default. Wanted to add i wouldn't be upset at that as I have high hopes for both guys.
Until these guys show up to camp I think all roster predictions are driven by contract status. Guys who aren't waiver exempt are on the NHL roster as a default until a waiver exempt prospect legitimately outplays them. Probably carrying an extra forward at a minimum to protect guys like Dahlen, Pedersen and Merkley until they sort out the pecking order.
Dahlen is a defensively lacking forward so he’s either a top 9 role as a scoring line winger or he’s kind of useless as his skillset doesn’t project in a checking line role. For now I’d pencil them both into the top 9 though not sure how the lines shakeout given the 3rd line (where Dahlen is most suited talent wise) is going to be a more shutdown line with Bonino.
Seems like Dahlen is either on Couture or Hertl's line or riding the bench. Bonino's line is going to be getting defensive matchups that are probably outside of Dahlen current skill set.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Cogliano seems to think that he was brought in to play center so I think there's a chance that he's more of a 4C for us.
Where did you see this? I don't remember him saying anything like that in his signing interview...? Is there another article where he mentions it?

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
His loss was the primary reason we got reverse swept.
Pavs getting injured hurt Jumbos effectiveness too. Can't remember what it was specifically but Pavs had trouble shooting the last few games of that series. Can't forget the goaltending be less than reliable too. Definitely a group effort to get reverse swept but yes, Vlasic getting hurt was probably the biggest reason.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Pavs getting injured hurt Jumbos effectiveness too. Can't remember what it was specifically but Pavs had trouble shooting the last few games of that series. Can't forget the goaltending be less than reliable too. Definitely a group effort to get reverse swept but yes, Vlasic getting hurt was probably the biggest reason.
The biggest reason, but also a grim look at the fight of this team. I don't remember anyone going after Stoll (I believe it was Stoll)? They didn't let that fire them up, instead the curdled like sour milk.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I remember AC was signed and the reports said C, but he hadn't played C in years. I think that was just the assumed rhetoric even though there's no chance he's the 4C. That's Gambrell.
Almost zero chance he plays C for us. Don’t think he’s played C in years. If he’s the 4C, that speaks volumes about our depth down the middle more than what we signed cogs as.

That being said, I’m excited to see him here. By all accounts a great mentor and locker room guy, a 4th line with Him, Gambrell, and Gregor could be fantastic with all that speed.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Almost zero chance he plays C for us. Don’t think he’s played C in years. If he’s the 4C, that speaks volumes about our depth down the middle more than what we signed cogs as.

That being said, I’m excited to see him here. By all accounts a great mentor and locker room guy, a 4th line with Him, Gambrell, and Gregor could be fantastic with all that speed.
I don't mind that. I expect a lot of energy, and a lot of frustrating Offensive Zone opportunities wasted.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I remember AC was signed and the reports said C, but he hadn't played C in years. I think that was just the assumed rhetoric even though there's no chance he's the 4C. That's Gambrell.
Agreed... mostly. I think they brought in Pedersen and Merkley to supplant or at least challenge Gamby. I think they're hoping competition will bring the best out of all these guys. Gregor could be in the running as well if he can learn to win a face-off. Maybe Chemleski too depending on what he did this summer. I'm dying to know who's having a Knyzhov type summer where they're putting on 15 to 20 pounds of muscle and coming back ready to take someones job in the NHL. I truly hope it's Merkley and Leanard. I would love nothing better than to be wrong about Merkley. Make Burns expendable so they can get some cap space to add a top 6 player to the lineup.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The biggest reason, but also a grim look at the fight of this team. I don't remember anyone going after Stoll (I believe it was Stoll)? They didn't let that fire them up, instead the curdled like sour milk.

Same thing happened in 2004 and 2006 when Marleau and Michalek got blatantly headshot too. Problem is DW hires coaches who think discipline is more important than retribution.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Agreed... mostly. I think they brought in Pedersen and Merkley to supplant or at least challenge Gamby. I think they're hoping competition will bring the best out of all these guys. Gregor could be in the running as well if he can learn to win a face-off. Maybe Chemleski too depending on what he did this summer. I'm dying to know who's having a Knyzhov type summer where they're putting on 15 to 20 pounds of muscle and coming back ready to take someones job in the NHL. I truly hope it's Merkley and Leanard. I would love nothing better than to be wrong about Merkley. Make Burns expendable so they can get some cap space to add a top 6 player to the lineup.
I do like the idea of having two capable 4Cs. Don't know why but it makes me feel better.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Same thing happened in 2004 and 2006 when Marleau and Michalek got blatantly headshot too. Problem is DW hires coaches who think discipline is more important than retribution.
Boughner doesn't believe in that. He definitely believe in everyone hitting and fighting. The fact that Couture and Hertl had fighting majors should make that apparent.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That's why I like Meier even if he sometimes has a hard time controlling his temper. Especially if Kane is gone we don't have anyone that'll send a message.

Bizz

Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Boughner doesn't believe in that. He definitely believe in everyone hitting and fighting. The fact that Couture and Hertl had fighting majors should make that apparent.

problem here is BB isn't very good at much else other than that lol. we really need a coach that can balance playing hard and retaliating when needed while not being too detrimental to winning.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Center depth is always the key to the success of a forward group. When the Sharks have had their best teams they had lots of guys who can play center up and down the lineup.
Yeah, well unfortunately we don't have a ton of depth at 1 or 2C. I think Bonino is locked in at 3, and I'd rather they not move him up or down regardless of why. If we can keep a consistent 3rd line I think it'll help because we all know the top two lines are going to be a traffic jam of constantly moving pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad