Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Interesting article on Knyzhov in SJhockeynow. He mentions how he practiced with a couple of NHL superstars during the offseason, and that helped him develop an NHL game.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Mario Ferraro is now counting his millions.

It's funny, when the Seth Jones deal was signed, one of the first few posts was from an Oilers fan saying something like "Darnell, look away!!" and all I'm saying to myself right now is "oh noes, Mario look away!!"

Reactions: Shark Finn

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Mario might make Pelech money some day but he's got a ways to go

How so? Mario already plays more minutes than Pelech, scored more points than Pelech, takes more def zone starts than Pelech etc

Am I saying Ferraro will for sure get Pelech money on his next contract, No mostly because of his age I suspect, but not sure what makes Mario "a ways" away from Pelech.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How so? Mario already plays more minutes than Pelech, scored more points than Pelech, takes more def zone starts than Pelech etc

Am I saying Ferraro will for sure get Pelech money on his next contract, No mostly because of his age I suspect, but not sure what makes Mario "a ways" away from Pelech.

With all due respect to Ferraro, Pelech was in the Norris discussion this season. Ferraro is quite a ways away from where Pelech is.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
With all due respect to Ferraro, Pelech was in the Norris discussion this season. Ferraro is quite a ways away from where Pelech is.

In the discussion? He had a single 5th place vote, seems like that discussion was pretty short, or propagated by NYI homers or something, because he clearly was not even remotely close to winning a Norris.

Also Ferraro has one more year to earn his contract, and while his stats are not on par yet with Pelech, they are not TOO far off. An improved team, goaltending, hopefully redesigned defensive system etc, paired with any growth from Ferraro himself, and Pelech money is not an insane possibility.

Especially if Ferraro can boost his offense numbers this year, assuming our team is not bottom 6 in GF this year again. Obviously if the whole teams sucks ass again, he probably suffers for it with his next contract, which is honestly a good thing, because with all the 2 years deals given out this summer, I have no idea how we are going to sign our players next year if things improve this year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In the discussion? He had a single 5th place vote, seems like that discussion was pretty short, or propagated by NYI homers or something, because he clearly was not even remotely close to winning a Norris.

Also Ferraro has one more year to earn his contract, and while his stats are not on par yet with Pelech, they are not TOO far off. An improved team, goaltending, hopefully redesigned defensive system etc, paired with any growth from Ferraro himself, and Pelech money is not an insane possibility.

Especially if Ferraro can boost his offense numbers this year, assuming our team is not bottom 6 in GF this year again. Obviously if the whole teams sucks ass again, he probably suffers for it with his next contract, which is honestly a good thing, because with all the 2 years deals given out this summer, I have no idea how we are going to sign our players next year if things improve this year.

Dig into the numbers or watch some replays or something I guess. He was a huge reason the Isles got to the third round of the playoffs. He played like a legit #1D last season. That’s a far cry from Ferraro, who is a #3D that had glimpses of #2D play.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If Mario takes another step this year I foresee a 6 year, 40-42 million dollar deal.
No shot. The Marino deal is probably the ceiling for a Ferraro deal. Marino signed a 6 year $4.4 million a year deal coming off his rookie deal.

Ferraro is probably the only guy I’m comfortable going long-term with given his attitude and work ethic (to go along with being young).

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
How high are you guys willing to go for Hertl, and at what point do you pass and trade him?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
No shot. The Marino deal is probably the ceiling for a Ferraro deal. Marino signed a 6 year $4.4 million a year deal coming off his rookie deal.

Ferraro is probably the only guy I’m comfortable going long-term with given his attitude and work ethic (to go along with being young).
Yea the only way Ferraro is breaking $5m a year is if he starts bringing some serious offensive firepower. Love the guy, but he's just not someone that plays a style that nets a big paycheck.

Maybe some day but he's gonna need to develop a lot offensively. I don't think there's a lot of creativity or deception in his offensive game right now

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Mario Ferraro is now counting his millions.

I don't know about that. I think the Pelech deal with the Islanders is more of an indicator of what Ferraro would be looking at, and he would still have to make some improvements this coming season to get in that range. Pelech is definitely a step or two above Ferraro at the moment because he's further along in his development.

The shift in the NHL is to pay players when they're young and give them term which is what I hope DW will do with Ferraro. Lock him up for 6-8 years at say 4-4.5M. I don't think he turns that down and it would be a cap hit that the team can live with. Then when the deal is up and he's in he's near 30 you can work on some shorter term deals based on the team situation. For reference Pelech signed a 4 yr x 1.6M bridge deal when he was Ferraro's age coming off his entry level deal. If Ferraro goes the route of a bridge contract I would expect his salary to come in around 3M. He hasn't produced much offensively at the NHL level which is where the big bucks come in. I'd prefer he goes the long term deal though and pay him a little bit more personally.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
How high are you guys willing to go for Hertl, and at what point do you pass and trade him?

I'm thinking 7-7.5M. I think he's worth around 8.5-9M but his injury history brings him down a notch in the teams willing to risk big money. If he wants term and above 8M then I think you have to trade him. The Sharks need players to start taking some team friendly deals otherwise we will forever be in purgatory. Think back to the Pavs, Jumbo and Marleau days where they were stars taking at least 2M less then they'd receive elsewhere.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Yup 100%. If Mario performs at Pelech's level we will be very happy. He's not there yet and still has a ways to go before he's that effective on the ice. TOI and his numbers don't mean that he matches what Pelech brings every game.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Pelech is great defensively, has a damn good shot too. Ferraro not in the same boat yet.

Last edited:

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Yea the only way Ferraro is breaking $5m a year is if he starts bringing some serious offensive firepower. Love the guy, but he's just not someone that plays a style that nets a big paycheck.

Maybe some day but he's gonna need to develop a lot offensively. I don't think there's a lot of creativity or deception in his offensive game right now

we Need the Wilson Bridge special, 2 years 5-5.5mil total

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
unless he magically puts up a 90+ point season, anything more than 5Yx7M for Hertl is an overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad