Speculation: 2021 Sharks Offseason Roster Discussion part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I hope y’all will find this rosterbation as entertaining as it was for me putting it together.

3 team trade to bring in Eichel and get a temporary platoon goalie (Griess)

To Sharks:
- Eichel
- Griess ($1.6 retained)
- 2022 2nd (DET)
- 2023 4th (BUF)

To Buffalo:
- Labanc
- Bordeleau
- Simek
- Antti Tuomisto (via DET)
- 2023 1st (DET)

To DET:
- Meier
- 2022 3rd (SJS)

UFA Signings
- Wennberg ($3.25 x 2)
- Bogosian ($2.25 x 2)

2021-22 Roster
Cap Space: ~$4.5M

Couture - Eichel - Balcers
Kane - Hertl - Barabanov
Eklund - Wennberg - Blichfeld???
Dahlen??? - Gambrell - Nieto
Gregor

Ferraro - Burns
Knyzhov - Karlsson
Vlasic - Bogosian
Meloche

Hill
Griess

Picks
- SJS 2022 3rd becomes a 2nd (DET)
- SJS adds a 2023 4th (BUF)

Fun times, amiright?
So what Buffalo's just giving Eichel away now?

Reactions: Sandisfan

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
To Sharks:
- Eichel
- Griess ($1.6 retained)
- 2022 2nd (DET)
- 2023 4th (BUF)

To Buffalo:
- Labanc
- Bordeleau
- Simek
- 2023 1st (DET)

To DET:
- Meier
- 2022 3rd (SJS)

Buffalo got better value than that for Rasmus Ristolainen

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
If I don't subscribe to the idea that burying him in the AHL makes the team look bad (bad player sent down, I don't see guys holding that against the Sharks), is just suffering through his 3 years better then an extended cap charge?

Especially if I am team blow it up and don't see us being any good for a few years. Hopefully year 4-5 we are ready to compete again, rather not have him on the books.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
If I don't subscribe to the idea that burying him in the AHL makes the team look bad (bad player sent down, I don't see guys holding that against the Sharks), is just suffering through his 3 years better then an extended cap charge?

Especially if I am team blow it up and don't see us being any good for a few years. Hopefully year 4-5 we are ready to compete again, rather not have him on the books.

Buying him out on the last day keeps DW's options open just in case though. It makes sense still. Also Im in camp keep him in AHL haha

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
This may seem like a completely ridiculous question, but what would it take to sign Ovie? How much do we think he wants on his next contract and how could we make it work under our current cap situation?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm cautiously optimistic DW has seen the light and realizes punting on the next two seasons is the best course of action in which case you keep Jones.

Teams usually wait until the last possible minute before executing a buyout like this though so I won't be surprised if he hits waivers tomorrow.

Reactions: Friday

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
You wouldn't buy him out IF you didn't care about next year and you were saving cap space in 2026/2027
True. It's obvious to me with all of the org talk that they are hell bent on competing next year and beyond so I guess we'll just wait for the buyout at the last second as others have said.

Reactions: Friday

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I hope y’all will find this rosterbation as entertaining as it was for me putting it together.

3 team trade to bring in Eichel and get a temporary platoon goalie (Griess)

To Sharks:
- Eichel
- Griess ($1.6 retained)
- 2022 2nd (DET)
- 2023 4th (BUF)

To Buffalo:
- Labanc
- Bordeleau
- Simek
- 2023 1st (DET)

To DET:
- Meier
- 2022 3rd (SJS)

UFA Signings
- Wennberg ($3.25 x 2)
- Bogosian ($2.25 x 2)

2021-22 Roster
Cap Space: ~$4.5M

Couture - Eichel - Balcers
Kane - Hertl - Barabanov
Eklund - Wennberg - Blichfeld???
Dahlen??? - Gambrell - Nieto
Gregor

Ferraro - Burns
Knyzhov - Karlsson
Vlasic - Bogosian
Meloche

Hill
Griess

Picks
- SJS 2022 3rd becomes a 2nd (DET)
- SJS adds a 2023 4th (BUF)

Fun times, amiright?
I would love Eichel but that top 9 is going to struggle. If you're moving pieces to teams not Buffalo I would move Couture to a playoff team or a young team that maybe is looking to be competitive again after a rebuild that needs a playoff warrior. Going to have to make peace that the Sharks lose the 2022 1st if they want Eichel. They aren't waiting until 2023 for their Eichel payoff. Inspired creativity though. :)

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
True. It's obvious to me with all of the org talk that they are hell bent on competing next year and beyond so I guess we'll just wait for the buyout at the last second as others have said.
They keep saying that but the moves they have made and some other between the lines statements don't say that. I think they are aligning 23-24 to compete for a playoff spot and next year will be more of the same

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
They keep saying that but the moves they have made and some other between the lines statements don't say that. I think they are aligning 23-24 to compete for a playoff spot and next year will be more of the same

Agreed. They seem to be backing off on promising a playoff team over the last few days which is an encouraging sign IMO. My guess is they tried to move one of the bigger contracts (most likely Labanc, Kane or Timo) to free up some money for free agency but the market was soft to nonexistent for those players.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
It seems to completely fit Doug Wilson's m.o. to wait until after the draft (today or tomorrow) to do the Jones buyout so as to not distract from the excitement and positive vibes of the past couple days--and to take attention away from our new draft picks.

I'd be surprised if Jones was just buried in the minors, but I suppose there is precedent with DW--doing just that with Kyle McLaren for the third year of a three-year deal DW had resigned him to. That was 2008, and I have to say I'm surprised that McLaren was only 31 that season. Dude slowed down in a hurry (though just like with Vlasic, DW really should have had better foresight there when offering the new deal to him in 2006).

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Tomorrow is the day ehhh do or die

This going to be interesting. Are they so sick of him that they feel 6 years is worth removing him from the organization? The more I think about it I kinda doubt they're going to do that. Maybe they look at Hill as all the inspiration Jones needs to not suck. The last 2 seasons Jones has put up better, dare I say competent numbers while being relegated to a backup role. It's a shit ton to pay a backup but getting the cap hit over in 3 instead of 6 might be desirable? The middle part of last season he put up top 5 sv% (pretty sure this is what I remember reading). So if he shows bounce back numbers then they can trade him and maybe retain 2-3 mil which is less of a load over the long term on the cap. I think DW is working the phones though up to the last minute to try and move him somewhere else instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad