Speculation: 2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I have almost no doubt that Colton will get taken if exposed, he would be the best value, best bang for the salary cap buck. I am sure Seattle knows that they will have pick of the litter when teams come knocking on their doors trying to alleviate cap pain, so I think they take highly paid guys only if they do not have an underpaid solid NHLer to grab. That's what I would do anyway.

That would leave Tampa with having to get rid of 2 more forwards (Palat/Killorn/Johnson/Gourde/Cirelli) this year, plus one more player next year when Point is being extended. So, in 4F/4D protection scheme, Tampa likely loses Goodrow+Colton+Coleman+Johnson+(1 of Gourde/Palat/Killorn) this year, and then (another one of Gourde/Palat/Killorn) the year after. As good as Tampa forward depth is, it's gonna hurt pretty bad. You are likely looking at 22/23 year with just 5 core guys Kucherov/Point/Stamkos/Gourde/Cirelli. Not sure if having a 35yo McDonagh at 7M/year is a good trade-off for that kind of decimation.
My guess is they would take the young Dman in Foote but it largely depends on what happens the rest of the draft

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
My guess is they would take the young Dman in Foote but it largely depends on what happens the rest of the draft

I would not, Foote doesn't yet strike me as a sure fire top-4 able D. Frankly, his skating makes it unlikely that he will ever be one in the modern NHL. Colton is already a middle-6 forward in my eyes, that's the low risk high reward pick.

But if I am wrong on Foote, what's the worry about losing McDonagh?

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Well, it's 9.5 million. And the discussion was about ideas behind such a trade. He has a NMC, you know.

And stop the "troll" speach. I'm an Avs fan which is no secret. With our own problems. Physical d-men missing and Landeskog to sign. Saad gone and no goalie. Hehe.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Vasilevskiy is easily the most untradeable guy on the team at the moment. The whole roster could melt and crumble away around him and he's the one guy that could drag us kicking and screaming on a deep run. Just look at what Carey Price is doing right now at his age.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I would not, Foote doesn't yet strike me as a sure fire top-4 able D. Frankly, his skating makes it unlikely that he will ever be one in the modern NHL. Colton is already a middle-6 forward in my eyes, that's the low risk high reward pick.

But if I am wrong on Foote, what's the worry about losing McDonagh?
We’re just not on the same page here. One has nothing to do with the other. Maybe the Bolts lose Colton then. Would suck but so be it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Well, it's 9.5 million. And the discussion was about ideas behind such a trade. He has a NMC, you know.

And stop the "troll" speach. I'm an Avs fan which is no secret. With our own problems. Physical d-men missing and Landeskog to sign. Saad gone and no goalie. Hehe.
You just don't trade away young, elite goalies. Specially one who's won a vezna, has led the league in wins for four years and won a cup. Vasy at 9.5 isn't that bad, he's worth the money and the 2nd most important player on this team

Too many teams with average goalies can't get the job done. Why trade away the best goalie in the world

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
What kind of possibilities does this trade idea open?

McDonagh, Johnson and Vasilevskyi to the Kraken for Detroit's all first and secondround draft choices (four of them, hypothetically aquired in exchange for Seattle's firstround pick). The highest pick might be Wallstedt giving Lightning the top junior pair of Alnefelt and said Wallstedt. Beside of a cap saving of 20 million.

lol what a joke trade that best goalie in the world in vasy in his prime at 26 years old ya nope lol never

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Vasilevskiy is easily the most untradeable guy on the team at the moment. The whole roster could melt and crumble away around him and he's the one guy that could drag us kicking and screaming on a deep run. Just look at what Carey Price is doing right now at his age.

I think vasy could take the sabres to the playoffs some nights our team doesn’t play defense at all for him lol

Reactions: Hoek

TBFanKai

May 17, 2021
I would like to point out that the rules for this expansion draft is the same as the Knights. If someone has a NMC, full, or partial no trade clause have to be protected by the team in this draft. Unless the player waives the clause to enter the draft.

Forwards
Kucherov
Stamkos
Palat
Gourde
Johnson
Killorn
Maroon

Defensemen
McDonagh

Goalies
Vasilevski

All these players will have to be protected unless they want to be drafted. Who in that group would want to leave this team? It's not like we are Buffalo.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I would like to point out that the rules for this expansion draft is the same as the Knights. If someone has a NMC, full, or partial no trade clause have to be protected by the team in this draft. Unless the player waives the clause to enter the draft.

Forwards
Kucherov
Stamkos
Palat
Gourde
Johnson
Killorn
Maroon

Defensemen
McDonagh

Goalies
Vasilevski

All these players will have to be protected unless they want to be drafted. Who in that group would want to leave this team? It's not like we are Buffalo.

No they don't. Only players with a No Move Clause are auto-protected. Players with a NTC, full or modified, can be left exposed. It's up to the club to add them to the protected list if they so choose.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. The Kraken cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.

* All first- and second-year professionals, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection and will not be counted toward protection limits.

In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:

* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Perfect example

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You can always tell the difference between the people who have been following this team for a long time, and those who are newcomers. Our history at goaltender before Bishop was so depressingly bad, that the mention of trading a proven quality starter is enough to give one PTSD, yet alone the best goalie in the world at age 26

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
You can always tell the difference between the people who have been following this team for a long time, and those who are newcomers. Our history at goaltender before Bishop was so depressingly bad, that the mention of trading a proven quality starter is enough to give one PTSD, yet alone the best goalie in the world at age 26

Yeah When we got Habi I remember breathing a sigh of relief. We finally had a goalie. When he left to chase the money because we were unwilling to pay him. It lead to years, and I mean years of misery. There was a point in time that we were happy that Mathieu Garon was starting, and he wasn't exactly a great goalie. That is how bad things were. Ever since we got Bishop, it literally has been like Night and Day for us goalie wise.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm probably making sure we at least keep these guys

Vasi
Kuch
Point
Hedman
Mcd
Cernak
Serg
Palat
Cirelli

Stamkos will probably replace someone on here but I'm wondering if he's even gonna be playing next year how often he is hurt.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
The requirements of "under contract in 21/22" make the whole expansion draft more complex than first glance. Most of the 'bad' teams are exposing the minimum in forwards and/or defense and all of those exposed are of little actual value to the Kraken. On the flip side, the Kraken can only take 10 players not under contract, the other 20 players must be under contract in 21/22. Those 10 not under contract are going to be key to the Kraken's expansion draft success. At best value those are used on RFAs with lots of team control left. Young players who look like they are on a path to long term NHL success.

Obviously, from the Lightning, Colton and/or Foote fit that target group. Are either of them one of the 10 best options available across the league's protection lists? That is much less certain. Moreso when you consider that Francis will be forced in a few situations to taking someone not under contract from a team whose exposed players under contract are bad/old/expensive/unwanted. The Lightning players under contract that end up getting exposed whether we go 7-3-1 or 8-1 might be proportionally more attractive options than those found across the league. Regardless of who gets picked, the 9-11 players protected will define the Lightning's future success more than any one person lost will.

If Ron Francis expects to charge a premium to alter whatever plans he comes up with for the expansion draft, so be it. I feel like Brisebois has shown a willingness to pay premium prices to get what he thinks the team needs. If cap space out of the expansion draft is important to JBB I fear he'll make it worthwhile for Francis to accommodate.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Not sure if any No movement clasue trumps my list but, Keep:

Kucherov
Stamkos
Palat
Cirelli
Gourde
Point
Killhorn

Hedman
Sergaechev
Cernak

Vasilievsky

Remember Seattle can only take one player of those unprotected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max McBolt

kraken

Jun 30, 2021
Kraken fan here (username and picture might give me away)...who is the best option (value/quality) that will most likely be available for us? I have my opinions but obviously you get to watch night in and night out unlike me...

As of now, I'm thinking Gourde like some of the posters above said.

Let's hear it though, who should I WANT the Kraken to take?

Congrats on a fantastic run so far - hell of a team you have out there!

Cheers

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Kraken fan here (username and picture might give me away)...who is the best option (value/quality) that will most likely be available for us? I have my opinions but obviously you get to watch night in and night out unlike me...

Cheers

If you want to spend capspace Gourde, if you want the best cheap prospect, Foote/Joseph

Reactions: kraken

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket

Cheers
No one, we have no good players... move along... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad