Speculation: 2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Tyler Johnson is definitely the best there is. He could easily play in your top 6, and showed flashes of being a franchise center before.

Reactions: ultra63

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Kraken fan here (username and picture might give me away)...who is the best option (value/quality) that will most likely be available for us? I have my opinions but obviously you get to watch night in and night out unlike me...

As of now, I'm thinking Gourde like some of the posters above said.

Let's hear it though, who should I WANT the Kraken to take?

Congrats on a fantastic run so far - hell of a team you have out there!

Cheers

Worst case scenario (for both teams) is the Kraken taking Colton or Foote in the expansion draft and that's it.

Best case scenario for the Kraken, picking a top 6 forward under contract, and getting Colton or Foote, plus a draft pick to do so.

Best case for the Lightning? That 'top 6' forward is Johnson and the pick isn't a 1st.

I expect something between those scenarios.

Reactions: kraken

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Your best option, barring an agreement/trade, will either be one of Killorn/Palat/Gourde, or McDonagh.

Frankly, your can't go wrong with any of those.

McDonagh is probably the most valuable, easily your #1D and brings great locker room presence and playoff experience. For that reason, I'm guessing if we can't strike a deal, we'd protect 8 skaters and take McD off the board.

Killorn and Gourde are both great energy guys, will outwork opponents and go to dirty areas, very responsible on D, but they also have enough skill to be legitimate NHLers even without their work ethic.

Palat is more of a pure scorer, who's also very responsible on D, but he can be hot or cold and if he's not actually tallying points he's not helping the team.

Ultimately I think we'll cut a deal where your guys take Johnson off our hands and get one of the above, possibly with draft picks also involved. Johnson is more of a reclamation project, but he's shown flashes of his old speed and skill in this postseason. But I think ultimately you're gonna get two core guys who are great in the locker room and will be invaluable in the postseason (if you can get there).

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Kraken fan here (username and picture might give me away)...who is the best option (value/quality) that will most likely be available for us? I have my opinions but obviously you get to watch night in and night out unlike me...

Cheers

I have my doubts that Gourde will not be protected.

Tyler Johnson or Palat. (or both)

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013

Cheers

McDonagh if exposed
Gourde is a 2way beast who never tires. He would be a great pick imo.
Palat or Killorn.
Foote / Colton / Joseph if you want a cheap kid with upside but risk as to what they'll become.
TJ if we sweeten the offer. He's still a solid player just overpaid at this point and redundant for us cuz were so strong at center.

Edit: btw im a TB fan all the way but recently moved to Oregon and I'm planning to take the Kraken as my 2nd team. Looking forward to following the expansion draft. I think its a pretty unique experience as a sports fan to follow. Anyways just saying this because when I mentioned McDonagh on your board people thought i was trolling. He's a stud.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah When we got Habi I remember breathing a sigh of relief. We finally had a goalie. When he left to chase the money because we were unwilling to pay him. It lead to years, and I mean years of misery. There was a point in time that we were happy that Mathieu Garon was starting, and he wasn't exactly a great goalie. That is how bad things were. Ever since we got Bishop, it literally has been like Night and Day for us goalie wise.
There was a sort of...assumption that the goaltending was bad because the defense was bad. And while that was certainly *a* factor, Bishop coming in and looking great behind the same defense opened up a lot of eyes.

As for protection - We're definitely going the 8 skaters route. Who the fourth forward is going to be is a bit in the air, but my money would be on Cirelli over say Gourde or Palat.

Reactions: NatoGhost

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We can't leave McDonagh unprotected. JBB gonna have to offer a sweetener for them to not take Gourde. We all weren't fans of his initial contract but damn, he's so worth the money. Him and McDonagh are worth their contracts and are both really important parts of this team.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Yeah. Value and importance aren't the same, but if you're looking to win with a core that's hitting late 20s (exceptions of course), there's nobody ready to take Gourde or McDonaghs role. Nobody.

We could move on from Palat, Killorn, and even stamkos, and while their loss is hurt, they are replaceable - or near replaceable. (Not all at once of course)

Game starts, who is out there? Gourde. Game is on the line, who is out there? Gourde. Only two guys come close and that's Cirelli, which leaves a gaping hole at 2c or 3c, or Point, which changes the dynamic in that lines game (but they've done it before).

Same with McD. Replace him and who wants to see Savard, Turnoverchev, or Rutta out there for +20mins a night blocking shots, playing the pk, stopping their top guys? Not me!

We make one of the biggest errors this franchise could make moving McD - at any costs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Player A 5'8 180lb 30yrs old

17-18 81gp 21g 29a 50p ESP 35 TOI 17:00
18-19 80gp 29g 18a 47p ESP 38TOI 15:57
19-20 65gp 14g 17a 31p ESP 24 TOI 14:33
20-21 55gp 8g 15a 22p ESP 19 TOI 13:40

Signed 3 more tears at 5M

Player B 5'9 180lb 28yrs old

17-18 78gp 29g 32a 61p ESP 50 TOI 17:45
18-19 58gp 34g 14a 48p ESP 41 TOI 19:09
19-20 57gp 15g 13a 28p ESP 20 TOI 16:12
20-21 50gp 10g 15a 25p ESP 22 TOI 16:36

Signed 3 more years a 4.25M

Player B has the edge in production overall and at even strength but has seen a decline in productionthe past few seasons. They get more time on ice and miss more games through injury. They were just traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick while Player A supposedly will cost a 1st plus to move.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Yeah. Value and importance aren't the same, but if you're looking to win with a core that's hitting late 20s (exceptions of course), there's nobody ready to take Gourde or McDonaghs role. Nobody.

We could move on from Palat, Killorn, and even stamkos, and while their loss is hurt, they are replaceable - or near replaceable. (Not all at once of course)

Game starts, who is out there? Gourde. Game is on the line, who is out there? Gourde. Only two guys come close and that's Cirelli, which leaves a gaping hole at 2c or 3c, or Point, which changes the dynamic in that lines game (but they've done it before).

Same with McD. Replace him and who wants to see Savard, Turnoverchev, or Rutta out there for +20mins a night blocking shots, playing the pk, stopping their top guys? Not me!

We make one of the biggest errors this franchise could make moving McD - at any costs.

There are four guys on this team who are irreplaceable, and Gourde and McD ain't on that list. You'd hate to lose them, and we may well retain both this offseason, but the realities of salary cap hockey have to be accepted.

edit: That reminds me, JBB said as much over the offseason, with the 4 untouchables.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
This is what I keep coming to

Kucherov
Stamkos
Point
Gourde
Cirelli
Maroon
Joseph

Hedman
McDonagh
Cernak

Unprotected
Killorn
Johnson
Palat
Sergachev

Coleman, Goodrow, and Colton are left off my list as the are UFA/RFA's and the prevailing thought is they stand to possibly be passed over. GMRF has a 72 hour negotiating window and if they do come to an agreement somehow, then that signee becomes the pick (per the Expansion Rules). I'm putting a lot of stock in Goodrow and Coleman to hold out for Free Agency and would decline. Which, in a way, puts the pinch on this Org too but I'm falling down the rabbit hole and digressing.

Anyway, that's why I haven't been stressing about those three guys. Yet.

And FTR - Yes I was one of the ones earlier saying that letting McDonagh go was necessary for retention of a bunch of other guys. I'll readily admit now that there's no way you can let that guy go. So much so, I'd be absolutely cool with Sergachev being offered up in his place.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
There are four guys on this team who are irreplaceable, and Gourde and McD ain't on that list. You'd hate to lose them, and we may well retain both this offseason, but the realities of salary cap hockey have to be accepted.

edit: That reminds me, JBB said as much over the offseason, with the 4 untouchables.
So who do you replace Mcdonagh with? I want to hear this one.

Also, you're appealing to untouchables as in who JBB is not moving vs who will be exposed in the expansion draft. Irrelevant.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
This is what I keep coming to

Kucherov
Stamkos
Point
Gourde
Cirelli
Maroon
Joseph

Hedman
McDonagh
Cernak

Unprotected
Killorn
Johnson
Palat
Sergachev

Coleman, Goodrow, and Colton are left off my list as the are UFA/RFA's and the prevailing thought is they stand to possibly be passed over. GMRF has a 72 hour negotiating window and if they do come to an agreement somehow, then that signee becomes the pick (per the Expansion Rules). I'm putting a lot of stock in Goodrow and Coleman to hold out for Free Agency and would decline. Which, in a way, puts the pinch on this Org too but I'm falling down the rabbit hole and digressing.

Anyway, that's why I haven't been stressing about those three guys. Yet.

And FTR - Yes I was one of the ones earlier saying that letting McDonagh go was necessary for retention of a bunch of other guys. I'll readily admit now that there's no way you can let that guy go. So much so, I'd be absolutely cool with Sergachev being offered up in his place.
I'm hesitant on keeping Gourde protected over Serg. He took a nice step forward during the season, but then a step back these playoffs (he looked good in last years playoffs), but he's not the guy to hand over the reigns to just yet. Still developing and still shows flashes of being our next "guy"

I think we're gonna lose our 1st round pick to protect Gourde. Or hopefully they take Johnson. Still gonna need to shed cap regardless for next season though

Reactions: NatoGhost

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I'm hesitant on keeping Gourde protected over Serg. He took a nice step forward during the season, but then a step back these playoffs (he looked good in last years playoffs), but he's not the guy to hand over the reigns to just yet. Still developing and still shows flashes of being our next "guy"

I think we're gonna lose our 1st round pick to protect Gourde. Or hopefully they take Johnson. Still gonna need to shed cap regardless for next season though

My apologies. You talking about Gourde that took a step back these playoffs, or Sergachev?

For sure. We have a ton off salary we have to shed. I'm just seeing different pieces through the Expansion process

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
My apologies. You talking about Gourde that took a step back these playoffs, or Sergachev?

For sure. We have a ton off salary we have to shed. I'm just seeing different pieces through the Expansion process
I don't think Gourde has taken a step back at all. He's still a motor running wild out there. Serg is the one who took a step back, turnovers galore. (I just think its harder to move a cheaper, younger dman over gourde, but damn he's one of our important players, but not core level)

I think the worst thing for us would be if Seattle took Foote or Colton, basically one of the kids that doesn't give us any major cap relief.

Theres probably a market for Palat or Killorn to get us a pick or two back and the cap relief. Johnson is playing much better these playoffs so maybe Seattle will take notice.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Player A 5'8 180lb 30yrs old

17-18 81gp 21g 29a 50p ESP 35 TOI 17:00
18-19 80gp 29g 18a 47p ESP 38TOI 15:57
19-20 65gp 14g 17a 31p ESP 24 TOI 14:33
20-21 55gp 8g 15a 22p ESP 19 TOI 13:40

Signed 3 more tears at 5M

Player B 5'9 180lb 28yrs old

17-18 78gp 29g 32a 61p ESP 50 TOI 17:45
18-19 58gp 34g 14a 48p ESP 41 TOI 19:09
19-20 57gp 15g 13a 28p ESP 20 TOI 16:12
20-21 50gp 10g 15a 25p ESP 22 TOI 16:36

Signed 3 more years a 4.25M

Player B has the edge in production overall and at even strength but has seen a decline in productionthe past few seasons. They get more time on ice and miss more games through injury. They were just traded for a 2nd and 3rd round pick while Player A supposedly will cost a 1st plus to move.
I don't think you can look at those two guys in a vacuum. For one - two years difference is not insignificant, nor is almost a million in cap hit. For two - Johnson put up 29 goals with Kucherov and Point on his line, while Arvidsson put up 34 and 29 with what... Forsberg? Good player but not Kucherov.

Reactions: Major4Boarding

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't think you can look at those two guys in a vacuum. For one - two years difference is not insignificant, nor is almost a million in cap hit. For two - Johnson put up 29 goals with Kucherov and Point on his line, while Arvidsson put up 34 and 29 with what... Forsberg? Good player but not Kucherov.

Johansen 3 and 4 years ago was still a pretty good player. Palat has a better goals per game average this year without Kucherov than he did last year with him. The 750k difference in cap is nice for Arvidsson but that's not enough to go from getting picks back to having to give up picks.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
So who do you replace Mcdonagh with? I want to hear this one.

Also, you're appealing to untouchables as in who JBB is not moving vs who will be exposed in the expansion draft. Irrelevant.

You replace McDonagh with Cernak.

Glad to hear you've at least gotten off the idea that Gourde is irreplaceable. Yes, these are great hockey players, but they're not on the level of Kuch, Point, Heddy and Vasy. Those are our truly irreplaceable players. To bring Gourde and McDonagh into that tier is to completely dilute the term.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
You replace McDonagh with Cernak.

Glad to hear you've at least gotten off the idea that Gourde is irreplaceable. Yes, these are great hockey players, but they're not on the level of Kuch, Point, Heddy and Vasy. Those are our truly irreplaceable players. To bring Gourde and McDonagh into that tier is to completely dilute the term.
Oh so you're just hung up on semantics? Ok, got it.

What actually matters is the product on the ice, not the bullshit terminology game of who is irreplaceable or untouchable. Four guys make to the heart of our core and won't be traded. No disagreement there. But if you dont see the problem with moving "x" player and not having someone to replace "x" player with, then I can't help you.

There is no replacement in our organization for McD. The fact you even mentioned Cernak is quite laughable. He's a great player and only going to get better, but who is his partner then? Sergachev. Which is exactly the point on the depth chart, IE, what matters to coaches. The "next guy up" isn't just a feel good phrase, it's literally, alright, who can we put there?

Going from;

Hedman - Rutta
McD - Cernak

To

Hedman - Rutta
Sergachev - Cernak

Is a big downgrade. Sergachev is not poised. He waited last night several times to make a play as the anchor defenseman to release the pass and three times passed it straight to the forechecker cause he's trying to be too cute. In his own end, he's an absolute tire fire when there's no pressure. He shows flashes, but we don't need flashes come playoffs, we need someone composed logging heavy minutes and penalty killing. I'm not knocking Sergachev as if he's awful, he's good and should still improve, but moving Mcdonagh is a step back. Cernak doesn't replace him, cause he's not the same handedness. So it's Sergachev and that guy, yeah I don't trust him to produce the same results McDonagh has the last two runs.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
McDonagh - Cernak is too good a shut down pair to break up now. McDonagh will be important for another run or two

We need to somehow keep McDonagh, Gourde and resign Goodrow cheap, imo. Easier said than done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad