GDT: 2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft | July 21st 2021 | 8:00 PM ET | ESPN2, SN, SN NOW, TVAS

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Which surprises me why they don’t want Johnson. Engelland was such a huge fan favorite in Vegas because he was from the area, despite being an old bottom pairing dman.

Johnson is back to back cup winner, undrafted, and his story just markets itself. Would be far and away fan favorite. They are so far under the cap and have trash centers outside Goirde and McCann.

Engelland was from Alberta and his connection with Las Vegas was in his time in the minors...in any case, I know the angle that there's been with TJ and the PNW, but just so that it's made abundantly clear - he's from Spokane, which is on the other side of Washington state. It's a big state. Google tells me it's about 279 miles from one to the other. It's about the equivalency between Tampa and Miami. I don't know how much time and his family may have spent in Seattle during his youth, and I don't know how much he might associate Seattle with his upbringing and his home. But Spokane and Seattle are two very different places with a large distance between them. Just feel like this needs to be said.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Theres an incredibly naive mentality within the hockey world and if you've never participated at the youth level up to professional ranks, this about sums up the stupidity.

I wanted to pursue coaching and operations years ago but was told to "pay my dues" by working for free.

I would have gladly worked for free today and selected a better team and direction than ol recycle Ron. Same group of guys get recycled over and over and have very little vision. The more I look at this roster, the more I see how deflating it is up front. Goodness. A random generator could've drafted a better forward core.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Theres an incredibly naive mentality within the hockey world and if you've never participated at the youth level up to professional ranks, this about sums up the stupidity.

I wanted to pursue coaching and operations years ago but was told to "pay my dues" by working for free.

I would have gladly worked for free today and selected a better team and direction than ol recycle Ron. Same group of guys get recycled over and over and have very little vision. The more I look at this roster, the more I see how deflating it is up front. Goodness. A random generator could've drafted a better forward core.

There was that tweet floating around involving Dom Lehoweveritsspelled and his projection system showing that, if Seattle took the most optimal players from each team (while staying within the framework of the salary cap), their point projection was for 105 points in 2021-'22.

I can only wonder what this team projects for, by contrast.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
There was that tweet floating around involving Dom Lehoweveritsspelled and his projection system showing that, if Seattle took the most optimal players from each team (while staying within the framework of the salary cap), their point projection was for 105 points in 2021-'22.

That Pacific Division is trrrrraaaassssshhhhhhh dawg. Probably playoffs if Seattle goes big game hunting in free agency

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

I want them to be horrid, but at the same time I feel bad for Gourde if they are. Back to back champ, best team in the league, and then you get stuck on an expansion team you didn't even want to play for, and they suck?

On a side note, something seems very wrong about a player signing a deal with one team and then being forced to play on another against their will. Like, what the hell is a contract for? The league won't let teams restructure deals, but they let an expansion team wipe their ass with them and select whoever they want? So beyond stupid.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

I saw that. This is atrocious given what was available.

I definitely understand the idea of holding onto younger players and their "value" Being more but passing on some options because they're in their late 20s or early 30s is idiotic. Especially when you've drafted Giordano and brought him on stage.

There were great players available and the fact pretty much none went is laughable.

As a lightning fan, this makes losing Gourde tolerable. I feel bad for him but man am I grateful we have Brisebois and not some of these other dopes.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I want them to be horrid, but at the same time I feel bad for Gourde if they are. Back to back champ, best team in the league, and then you get stuck on an expansion team you didn't even want to play for, and they suck?

On a side note, something seems very wrong about a player signing a deal with one team and then being forced to play on another against their will. Like, what the hell is a contract for? The league won't let teams restructure deals, but they let an expansion team wipe their ass with them and select whoever they want? So beyond stupid.
Gourde is a pro and will give it his all but you gotta wonder if they fall flat he's not asking out. Guy is in his prime, coming off two winning seasons and gets Geekie and True as his supporting cast lmfaoooooo

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That is the ONLY saving grace for Seattle right now, that pillow soft division.

Let's put it into perspective. They take Beniers at #2 and f*** over the Avs by signing Landeskog and suddenly no one is shitting on the forwards anymore because you have a top 6 with those guys, Gourde, Eberle, Lind and absolutely pain in the ass bottom lines and a massive defense backed by the 2 of the more promising young goalies.

Coach them right and that's gonna be a decent team. I'm baffled Ronnie didn't leverage anyone for additional assets but I am far from convinced this is gonna be the bad team everyone makes them out to be. I took one look at VGK and yelled "son of a bitch" all the same as this

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gourde is a pro and will give it his all but you gotta wonder if they fall flat he's not asking out. Guy is in his prime, coming off two winning seasons and gets Geekie and True as his supporting cast lmfaoooooo

Idk man.... you think Ronnie is gonna go after Landeskog? Add Matt Beniers too and suddenly we aren't laughing anymore

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
I want to thank Yanni Gourde for everything he's put into our two Championships.

I feel for him too, but my fear now is, he'll get flipped by Seattle back East to somewhere like Boston or Florida, and be a major pain in our arse!

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Idk man.... you think Ronnie is gonna go after Landeskog? Add Matt Beniers too and suddenly we aren't laughing anymore
Even if he does, it's still a lacking group. There's very few that are goal scorers there. At least with Vegas there was some threat offensively. This team is comprised of multiple 10-15 goal scorers and a few higher (though not elite) offensive threats.

Landeskog would be a good add but that's not enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad