Series Talk: 2021 Round 1 - Minnesota vs Vegas - Wild lose 4-3

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Johansson and Rask didn’t do much for the team, so pull up the top wing prospect.

Dumba didn’t do much for the team ( I would argue hurt the team) so pull up the top defense prospect.

I didn’t think the analogy was that far off

The analogy would be good if Boldy and Addison were both equally ready to step into the line-up and contribute.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The drama of us benching a LW and then bringing up a rookie with less than 15 AHL games to leap frog Parise would be not worth it at all. Boldy could step in and be an impact player or just as easily make a single mistake that costs us a game simply by being unfamiliar with the system. The odds of us seeing Boldy anytime soon are so low as to not even be worth mentioning. They will continue to ride the horses that got us here, the leash is long and the guys are playing fine enough.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The analogy would be good if Boldy and Addison were both equally ready to step into the line-up and contribute.
Exactly. Even Spurgeon had a few shifts where he was struggling with the physicality of Vegas' forecheck last night, and he's usually very good at that stuff. However dim one's view might be of Dumba's defense, Addison would probably get creamed (though he'd be nice to have on the powerplay).

Boldy would have this work cut out for him and I'm not sure how he'd handle the pace, but he's at least got the frame to have a shot at adapting. I think the adjustment period might end up being too long to make it worthwhile, but giving Fiala a really skilled linemate to work with would definitely help. And if they manage to get back to Minnesota up 2-0 in the series... it's worth thinking about.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Exactly. Even Spurgeon had a few shifts where he was struggling with the physicality of Vegas' forecheck last night, and he's usually very good at that stuff. However dim one's view might be of Dumba's defense, Addison would probably get creamed (though he'd be nice to have on the powerplay).

Boldy would have this work cut out for him and I'm not sure how he'd handle the pace, but he's at least got the frame to have a shot at adapting. I think the adjustment period might end up being too long to make it worthwhile, but giving Fiala a really skilled linemate to work with would definitely help. And if they manage to get back to Minnesota up 2-0 in the series... it's worth thinking about.

But Addison has played in the NHL. Boldy has not.

And who says Addison isn’t ready to step into the pros? He’s done well in the AHL.

At any rate, my point is, Boldy isn’t coming up for the playoffs so stop dreaming.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
But Addison has played in the NHL. Boldy has not.

And who says Addison isn’t ready to step into the pros? He’s done well in the AHL.

At any rate, my point is, Boldy isn’t coming up for the playoffs so stop dreaming.
He's played 3 regular season games against struggling Kings and Ducks teams. In no way do I mean it as a slight to Addison, but I think a playoff series against a team like Vegas or St Louis would be the worst possible time to throw him in. Even Colorado would probably be a better team to try him against, if we had to.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
He's played 3 regular season games against struggling Kings and Ducks teams. In no way do I mean it as a slight to Addison, but I think a playoff series against a team like Vegas or St Louis would be the worst possible time to throw him in. Even Colorado would probably be a better team to try him against, if we had to.
But Boldy against Vegas makes sense?

The logic absolutely baffles me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I've watched virtually every Iowa game since Boldy joined the team (after watching virtually every BC game before that). I think it's a pretty defensible position to say Boldy is better suited to handle an NHL playoff game right now than Addison is. If you have an issue with Dumba's game in these playoffs, you would absolutely despise Addison. Addison is more of a puck mover than Dumba, but they're both prone to making the same lapses in judgment, trying to do a little too much, and not always being the most sound defensively.

Apart from playing a "less important" position (LW vs D), Boldy plays a much more fundamentally sound game, he's far more likely to make the correct play than the flashy play, he's a lot stronger on the puck, along the boards, on his skates, etc, and he's an incredibly smart player.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Incrementally more in my opinion, yes. Don't get me wrong because I'm not howling for them to do so, but if they take a 2-0 series lead back to the X and Johansson-Rask-Fiala continue to not generate much? It's worth seeing if Boldy can help spark something that they'll probably need against a team like Colorado.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that Boldy might be a really good player for this team in the future, but our big hole on this team is at C, not on the wing. Hartman is a great 4th ine RW, and a decent 3rd line RW. I applaud his effort, but he is not a 1C. Rask...well, we all know the story on him, and Guerin gushing about him doesn't change the fact that he is a borderline NHL'er. Bringing Boldy up will not address those issues.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think that Boldy might be a really good player for this team in the future, but our big hole on this team is at C, not on the wing. Hartman is a great 4th ine RW, and a decent 3rd line RW. I applaud his effort, but he is not a 1C. Rask...well, we all know the story on him, and Guerin gushing about him doesn't change the fact that he is a borderline NHL'er. Bringing Boldy up will not address those issues.

Just because he doesn't solve the most pressing issue doesn't mean he doesn't improve the team.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Just because he doesn't solve the most pressing issue doesn't mean he doesn't improve the team.
It’s speculation that he’ll improve the team. As much as we all want Boldy to pan out, it’s entirely possible he doesn’t.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s speculation that he’ll improve the team. As much as we all want Boldy to pan out, it’s entirely possible he doesn’t.

It's speculation that he won't improve the team too. So is your point that he isn't good enough to help Fiala out on his line? What would you base that off of? Can you then explain why he wouldn't be an upgrade over Johansson without using the argument that Boldy hasn't played in the NHL yet? Because to base your entire case off of that one argument would be purely speculative.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think if he can win puck battles he'd at least help mitigate one of the problems our bad center depth creates for us, which is faceoffs. He's been good at that against peers; not sure how it'd go against Vegas.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It's speculation that he won't improve the team too. So is your point that he isn't good enough to help Fiala out on his line? What would you base that off of? Can you then explain why he wouldn't be an upgrade over Johansson without using the argument that Boldy hasn't played in the NHL yet? Because to base your entire case off of that one argument would be purely speculative.
You could use the other players in his classes performance as a rough idea, a guy like Zegras who was widely considered ahead of Boldy was a minus player with a single assist through his first 6 games this season. Caufield was invisible in Montreal outside of 3 on 3 OT. I think Boldy is a great player, but to think there won’t be even a small adjustment period for him is shortsighted, and the margin is too slim in the playoffs to risk it.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010

I never said he wasn't good enough. What I'm saying is we don't know. I don't believe the playoffs, especially against a team like Vegas is the time to be bringing up a rookie to see how he fairs.

Could he be an upgrade? Sure
Could he be a downgrade? Sure

The thing that people seem to forget is he hasn't practiced with the team; as there wasn't much practice time during the season and if you want to fault BG at the end of the season, go ahead. But he stuck to his guns to what he thought was best for the team, probably both long and short term. Throwing in someone that hasn't practiced with the team is throwing in a huge variable. Whereas keeping status quo at least provides a level of certainty on how a player reacts in certain situations (there will always be some uncertainty, I know that).

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Why haven't we heard anything about the "Black Aces"? Are they not doing that this year because of the pandemic? I would've thought that there would be some news about that since the Iowa season ended Saturday night.

Curious because this would be a good opportunity for Boldy to get some practice time in with the big club.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I just want to stop watching Johansson play. That’s as far as my “analysis” is going to go.
I'll be honest, I'm kind of surprised at how down on Johansson everyone seems to be. I've barely noticed him but haven't really seen him screwing things up... unless that's the problem?

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I'll be honest, I'm kind of surprised at how down on Johansson everyone seems to be. I've barely noticed him but haven't really seen him screwing things up... unless that's the problem?

I agree. He's just there. He doesn't really help the team, but he's not really hurting it either.

Personally, I find that's it's kind of a herd mindset. A few people voiced that they didn't like Johansson and it snowballed from there.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Ditto, and that’s why.
It's definitely a problem if it goes on like that. Vegas without Pacioretty is going to struggle to score if we play like we did in periods 2 and 3 yesterday, so we can maybe afford to have a dormant line ourselves... but that's not going to fly against other teams. Johansson and Fiala seemed to have a little something going for a stretch earlier this year and Johansson's had some strong playoff performances in the past, so I'm hoping they snap out of it soon. We'll see, though.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don’t know about yesterday but the past month maybe more he misses passes with extreme consistency and seems to dump rather than use his speed to create. His speed which is noticeable at times is very much under used by him. That’s where I would say he hurts us, like zucker without using speed he does nothing and possession dies in his stick more times than not.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have been disappointed by Johansson all year, but that's partly because of how he was presented to us by Guerin and Evason. I do agree that he is reasonably fast, but I don't see a lot of skill, physicality or defensive ability. He sure as hell can't play C.

I would bet the house that Boldy will be a better player than MoJo in 22-23, and the garage that he will be better next year. This year, dropping him in the middle of a top 6 role against a really good team without any practice? I'll bet a Caniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad