Series Talk: 2021 Round 1 - Minnesota vs Vegas - Wild lose 4-3

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
I agree on your "tiny" D concerns. Spurgeon is a very good regular season defenseman. But, man the playoffs are an entirely different animal. At very least, IMO, he needs to be paired with a big, nasty, smooth skating, puck moving partner.
Yea we could use a couple of those. Throw in a 1st line center with a 56% faceoff percentage we could contend.
Spurge is not afraid to go in the corners and probably has more hits than Suter. I love Brodin but he does not like the to go in the corners come playoff time.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
In the 2nd period Wilds hit the f***ing post/iron at 2-2 and could take the lead - it was a huge momentum swing the other way to Vegas, and Wilds defense on some of those goals against were simply not good enough. It was a really fun serie to watch even for a Rangers fan; well done Wilds and better luck next year! :nod:

Reactions: Aurinko

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Found the NIMBY who doesn't realize European ice sheets are basically NHL sizes now.
I should have said an Olympic Size rink. I stand corrected.
It sure seems counter productive to shrink the rink size in Europe when players are bigger and faster. The NHL is the premiere league and I suppose it’s the NHL fans that like the smaller rink. Personally I can’t stand the cross checking and interference that is allowed. The bigger ice surface allows skilled players to shine and goons become obsolete. I get the feeling most don’t agree and like the elbows and the slashes and interference.

Last edited:

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
This team needs strong skating skilled players, not goons. We’ve got big players that can play those roles, but they are not what should define the team. The Avalanche are the epitome of what a team should strive to be, in my opinion. We match up well against Vegas, just didn’t win this series.
In no way does the Wild need goons. It does need toughness and grit to win a playoff series.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Wild certainly don't lack grit.
Ericsson Ek and others show tremendous grit. They are an excellent team but after Ek at Center Rask, Johanssen and Bonino are pretty easy to play against. Brings down the whole line. Wild played great against Vegas all year and their compete level overall was very high. You can t lose that many face offs.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Found the NIMBY who doesn't realize European ice sheets are basically NHL sizes now.
PNG image.png
yes they are changing the rinks to NHL size but for many years this was not the case. I stand corrected.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Yea we could use a couple of those. Throw in a 1st line center with a 56% faceoff percentage we could contend.
Spurge is not afraid to go in the corners and probably has more hits than Suter. I love Brodin but he does not like the to go in the corners come playoff time.
Brodin’s speed keeps him from getting blasted in the corners most of the time. Spurgeon is not afraid very true. But that doesn’t keep players from throwing him down like a rag doll. Suter has never hit anyone hard in his life. Lol. He doesn’t believe in it. Most of the time he has great positioning and stick technique and running a guy through the boards isn’t necessary. I am however convinced that an element of nasty is needed in order to win a playoff series where teams like Blues , Avs and Vegas can get very chippy.personally I hate dirty play but it seems the NHL doesn’t share my sentiments.

Last edited:

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I can’t believe Reaves is not going to be suspended for that cheap shot on Suter. Unreal.[/QUOTE
Ericsson Ek and others show tremendous grit. They are an excellent team but after Ek at Center Rask, Johanssen and Bonino are pretty easy to play against. Brings down the whole line. Wild played great against Vegas all year and their compete level overall was very high. You can t lose that many face offs.
I wish the NHL would remove the dirty chippy play but It seems to be the same every year come playoff time.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Reeves could have injured Suter seriously. Unfortunately the NHL isn’t ready to remove goons like Reaves from the game.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
View attachment 440690yes they are changing the rinks to NHL size but for many years this was not the case. I stand corrected.
I might make the argument that 13.4 extra feet to work with East-West is pretty substantial. It's at least a couple of strides for most players. I actually was on the side of international rink size to NHL rink size being overblown until I saw this stat, now I'm not so sure. It seems obvious to me that with that much extra space, good skaters like Marcus Johansson, Jonas Brodin, Kirill Kaprizov etc. would have an advantage. Of course, that blade cuts both ways. Marchessault is a pretty good skater, too. Then you've got your big guys that can also skate, like Pietrangelo, who would have even more advantage than they already do.

Doesn't really matter, though, as the NHL rink size is what they play on, and it's there to stay (you can fit more ticket holders in if you have smaller ice). I am a little concerned about any future playoff series if most of our prime-time players are under 6'0", as that did not seem to go well for Kaprizov in this last series. Fiala fought through it though, so maybe there's a lesson to be learned there by our other small guys.:dunno: I'm a little surprised Kaprizov wasn't able to fight through it, given that he'd been able to battle through checks all season and maintain possession of the puck, yet suddenly wasn't able to in this series.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I might make the argument that 13.4 extra feet to work with East-West is pretty substantial. It's at least a couple of strides for most players. I actually was on the side of international rink size to NHL rink size being overblown until I saw this stat, now I'm not so sure. It seems obvious to me that with that much extra space, good skaters like Marcus Johansson, Jonas Brodin, Kirill Kaprizov etc. would have an advantage. Of course, that blade cuts both ways. Marchessault is a pretty good skater, too. Then you've got your big guys that can also skate, like Pietrangelo, who would have even more advantage than they already do.

Doesn't really matter, though, as the NHL rink size is what they play on, and it's there to stay (you can fit more ticket holders in if you have smaller ice). I am a little concerned about any future playoff series if most of our prime-time players are under 6'0", as that did not seem to go well for Kaprizov in this last series. Fiala fought through it though, so maybe there's a lesson to be learned there by our other small guys.:dunno: I'm a little surprised Kaprizov wasn't able to fight through it, given that he'd been able to battle through checks all season and maintain possession of the puck, yet suddenly wasn't able to in this series.

I don't know the answer, but I have seen a lot of posters suggest that the extra size doesn't do much to increase action because the extra space isn't in good scoring areas. That kind of makes sense to me, but again, I don't know.

WRT Kaprisov, I think he will be able to fight through it in another year or two. And, his playoff series with less than normal production might help in signing him.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018

My point wasn’t so much if Minnesota would gain an advantage by a larger rink necessarily. Avs and Vegas have plenty of speed and skill.
My point is that skilled fast players will have a chance to shine and slower grinder, hacking ,slashing ,interfering , neutral zone clogging players will be less effective. That is fact. Moot point as it can’t change now but goons like Reaves will be so far behind the play they won’t be effective.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
I don't know the answer, but I have seen a lot of posters suggest that the extra size doesn't do much to increase action because the extra space isn't in good scoring areas. That kind of makes sense to me, but again, I don't know.

WRT Kaprisov, I think he will be able to fight through it in another year or two. And, his playoff series with less than normal production might help in signing him.
Kaprizov is NHL ready. The problem is he knew his Center was a turnover machine. Fiala had more success because he seldom played against their top 6.
It depends on your definition of action. If the “action “ is fast skating and Percision passing than the large rink would feed that. If your definition of “action “ is clutching grabbing hacking slashing interfering neutral zone clogging intimidation then yes, we would lose “action”.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
The NHL will never go to an Olympic size sheet.
I agree. No reason to. Looks to me like the owners are making plenty of money exactly how it is.
NHL size rink was fine when players were smaller and slower. It now hampers skilled players and helps grinders which I find boring but I realize I’m in a small minority.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree. No reason to. Looks to me like the owners are making plenty of money exactly how it is.
NHL size rink was fine when players were smaller and slower. It now hampers skilled players and helps grinders which I find boring but I realize I’m in a small minority.
I don't think you are, but because the owners have a disincentive to go to a big ice surface it won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad