Roster Moves: 2021 Roster Thread XXV: Extended Qualifying Offers to Bunnaman, Hart, Kase, Sanheim; Morin re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yandle as a bottom pair defenseman wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm a big fan of York and like what I saw from him last season, but he's still only 20 years old. He'll get his opportunities.
I would love him on the Flyers next season, but if he spends the year in the AHL, it won't hurt his development.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tampa traded a third, plus a first rounder that was very likely to be near the bottom of the first round, and ended up being the 31st overall. And they got 50% retention via Detroit for an extra 4th.

David Savard Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

For the 13th overall plus a 2nd plus Hagg, it's incomprehensible that Buffalo retained nothing on Ristolainen. They are still $28m under the ceiling.
Incomprehensible? He's a 26-year old 20+ minute RHD. Look at the supply/demand. There were 7 teams offering first round picks for him. Why the hell would Buffalo retain salary, let alone it be "incomprehensible" that they didn't?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
7 teams offering what? Our first was equivalent to a 1st in the low 20s, a 2nd and 3rd rd pick (b/c you can trade back from #13 to say #22 and get at least a 2nd and 3rd). So if we don't know which teams were offering a 1st, doesn't tell you much.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks for your replied, dead. I appreciate that you always answer.

Myers struggled as a rookie with Ghost, and in the 2019-20 playoffs and in 2020-21.
There is a lot of upside, but also some real question marks (durability, hockey IQ).
Risto is only 2 years older, so it's not like they moved out a young prospect for an aging veteran.

Myers may well flame out or settle into less than what our collective hoped for, but IMHO "struggled as a rookie" is the rule rather than the exception.

Money talks, bullshit walks. They're paying him like a 7th D-man, compare to what they paid Braun.

True, but part of the money equation is paying customers, who have been receiving a steady diet of Hayesy and Keith. I doubt many of the Authentic Fans are clamouring for Cam York over Yandle, particularly with the latter chasing the streak. My prediction is that Yandle will only come out of the lineup due to injury.

Elliott started strong, but quickly faded, Jones is used to a starter workload, and may thrive with a much lighter workload, as we've seen with other overworked goalies (4 years of 60+ starts, 75 of 126 the last two years). Elliot can't play more than once a week.

Good points. We will see what we will see.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Getting Yandle doesn't bother me. He's insurance if Zamula and York aren't ready this fall. After this season he'll be gone.
The same goes with Thompson, if all of the young guys are as good as hoped, he should hardly ever see the ice. If he does, it's going to be longer season that we thought.
Ristolainen is going to get the money that Sanheim wanted. The Flyers probably aren't going to keep both of them in that price range. I wonder if the Flyers already know that Sanheim wants out of here and are putting themselves in a situation where at least they'll only have to fill one slot on defense in a year or so.
Jones is along for a ride this year. He isn't going to fill in a hole in goal. If Hart bombs, the season is over. A bad Hart and the future is in the hands of Ustimenko or Ersson.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Getting Yandle doesn't bother me. He's insurance if Zamula and York aren't ready this fall. After this season he'll be gone.
The same goes with Thompson, if all of the young guys are as good as hoped, he should hardly ever see the ice. If he does, it's going to be longer season that we thought.
Ristolainen is going to get the money that Sanheim wanted. The Flyers probably aren't going to keep both of them in that price range. I wonder if the Flyers already know that Sanheim wants out of here and are putting themselves in a situation where at least they'll only have to fill one slot on defense in a year or so.
Jones is along for a ride this year. He isn't going to fill in a hole in goal. If Hart bombs, the season is over. A bad Hart and the future is in the hands of Ustimenko or Ersson.

It isn't just about who plays better in preseason; it's also about roles. Frost can't compete with Thompson as a gritty defensive C, and the decision may well come down to "getting better defensively" rather than which player shone more.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It isn't just about who plays better in preseason; it's also about roles. Frost can't compete with Thompson as a gritty defensive C, and the decision may well come down to "getting better defensively" rather than which player shone more.

Frost isn't competing with Thompson, he was competing with Patrick last year and with Laughton and Laczynski this year.
Laughton can play LW up and down the lineup and 3C and 4C, Laczynski was at 4C but has the offensive chops for 3C.

Thompson's only role would be on the 4th line at LW (competing with potentially Lindblom, J Cates and Laughton) or 4C (competing with Laughton, Laczynski, Bunnaman and J Cates).

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Thompson is at the end of his career. Actually he was finished as an effective NHLer two seasons ago. If Frost isn't capable of pushing him off of the roster, there are others that should or the roster be readjusted to put Laughton at that center spot. My concern is that Thompson gets to stay and eat up minutes only because he's an AV guy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thompson is at the end of his career. Actually he was finished as an effective NHLer two seasons ago. If Frost isn't capable of pushing him off of the roster, there are others that should or the roster be readjusted to put Laughton at that center spot. My concern is that Thompson gets to stay and eat up minutes only because he's an AV guy.

How is he an AV guy? Yandle maybe, but Thompson played what, 20 games for him?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
But it is not cool or popular to be optimistic you have to be pessimistic , mad , your life is over , where's the fricken rope I need to hang myself . All HF board sites are the same , if you are winning bring on the Stanley Cup and if you are losing the endless bitching is relentless . I have been on Montreal's site a few times this last year and the negativity was over the top half two thirds thru but after the first round wow all of a sudden everybody was world beaters .

It's no different on here . Now a few of the moves I like and a few not so much so but as a whole I see a net positive . Most of my hope is that we have a bounce back by some of own players and couple that with the a few of the positive moves and we will have a marked improvement . Now do I think we will win the Stanley Cup 'no" but I think we could have a competitive team and that all I ask for .

Define what competitive means to you. Squeaking into the playoffs to get throttled in the first round isn't competitive to me. We don't have the be SC favorites but if the team doesn't feel like they can even win a playoff round that isn't competitive.

And I think that's about where the Flyers are, good enough to be first round cannon fodder. And the worst part is they are "going for it" this year. They are starting to trade future assets, they have tough decisions to make about resigning big names or having to radically change the core in the next 2 seasons. This upcoming season will likely represent the best this roster group can be before they have to start tearing things down.

So thats why I am pessimistic. I don't care that they might be slightly better this season. It won't be enough to be competitive this year and they have run out of time to make this a truly competitive group. I'm not pessimistic about next years season or team. I'm pessimistic about this organization and how they have fallen on their faces for a decade and the fact that I see no reason that trend will change.

And most of the time, at least on this board, most of the over the top pessimism is in gest anyways. Its a coping mechanism to help with the nausea as we watch this franchise circle the drain of mediocrity.

Reactions: Amorgus and Larry44

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

And that is what concerns me. Thompson, properly deployed as the 13th/14th forward, is a perfectly reasonable acquisition. I fear he won't be. He's our Tanner Glass.

How is he an AV guy? Yandle maybe, but Thompson played what, 20 games for him?

Not speaking for Renberg here, but for me, this comes (primarily) from AV's usage pattern, and (secondarily) the quotes from AV/Fletcher/etc. about how much they missed Thompson, how he's a heart and soul guy, the kind of guy you want out there on the ice, etc. He's well-placed as a spare part, but they talk about him like he's a key cog.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Define what competitive means to you. Squeaking into the playoffs to get throttled in the first round isn't competitive to me. We don't have the be SC favorites but if the team doesn't feel like they can even win a playoff round that isn't competitive.

And I think that's about where the Flyers are, good enough to be first round cannon fodder. And the worst part is they are "going for it" this year. They are starting to trade future assets, they have tough decisions to make about resigning big names or having to radically change the core in the next 2 seasons. This upcoming season will likely represent the best this roster group can be before they have to start tearing things down.

So thats why I am pessimistic. I don't care that they might be slightly better this season. It won't be enough to be competitive this year and they have run out of time to make this a truly competitive group. I'm not pessimistic about next years season or team. I'm pessimistic about this organization and how they have fallen on their faces for a decade and the fact that I see no reason that trend will change.

And most of the time, at least on this board, most of the over the top pessimism is in gest anyways. Its a coping mechanism to help with the nausea as we watch this franchise circle the drain of mediocrity.
Oh I agree with most you have to say , my only real change is I would have liked is the Risto trade to be a second or some salary retained for the 1st we gave them and not super pumped with Jones.
I think {hope} the team assembled can be more entertaining to watch and could make it to conference final and that's what I would consider competitive . I also don't see the tear down coming and I think {hope} we could have a decent team for the next few years . Hart rebounding , Sandhiem Provo Kony finding their form , Frost Allison York gaining traction will have more to do with it than what we aquired this summer .

I just wish people would not go so over the top with the negativity it's like it's a competition to see who the most bitter .

Reactions: RebusFlyer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Glass
2014-15 - players "blocked" - Mueller (28), Lindberg (23), Malone (35), played 8:38 in the playoffs
2015-16 - players "blocked" - Hriyik (24), Paille (31), played 8:46 in the playoffs

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Frost isn't competing with Thompson, he was competing with Patrick last year and with Laughton and Laczynski this year.
Laughton can play LW up and down the lineup and 3C and 4C, Laczynski was at 4C but has the offensive chops for 3C.

Thompson's only role would be on the 4th line at LW (competing with potentially Lindblom, J Cates and Laughton) or 4C (competing with Laughton, Laczynski, Bunnaman and J Cates).

Sorry for my inclarity. Frost is competing for 1 of 2 available C spots. The direct points of competition, in theory, would be Frost vs. Laughton for 3C and Thompson vs. Laczynski, Bunnaman, etc. for 4C, since Frost very likely wouldn't get 4C by default for being considered runner-up to Laughton for 3C.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Incomprehensible? He's a 26-year old 20+ minute RHD. Look at the supply/demand. There were 7 teams offering first round picks for him. Why the hell would Buffalo retain salary, let alone it be "incomprehensible" that they didn't?

Because he's really amazingly bad and we overpaid for him, so it would be nice to have recouped a scrap of value somewhere. It wouldn't have impacted Buffalo in the slightest, either.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Because he's really amazingly bad and we overpaid for him, so it would be nice to have recouped a scrap of value somewhere. It wouldn't have impacted Buffalo in the slightest, either.
Yeah, I’m taking Risto now over Isak Rosen & a 2023 2nd rd. pick. But you do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad