Roster Moves: 2021 Roster Thread XXV: Extended Qualifying Offers to Bunnaman, Hart, Kase, Sanheim; Morin re-signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Incomprehensible? He's a 26-year old 20+ minute RHD. Look at the supply/demand. There were 7 teams offering first round picks for him. Why the hell would Buffalo retain salary, let alone it be "incomprehensible" that they didn't?

How many of those teams were offering a pick in the top half of the draft? Teams very often retain salary when they get a big asset in return, especially teams that are well under the cap floor.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's mononoke

200.gif

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
I'd take Rosen & a 2nd over Risto. I'd definitely take Ghost+Rosen+2 2nds over Risto. I'd take Ghost + anyone that was given a first round rating + 2 2nds. I'd also take Ghost + trading down for more picks/future picks + 2 2nds. I'd also take the 13th + for Reinhart, even if it did leave us thinner on D.

Or are we going to do the thing where we pretend our only options are a bad trade or no trade?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I have no problem moving out Ghost, since he was blocking York and Zamula for two seasons.
I think post-2017-18 Ghost is the most overrated player by Flyer fans I can remember.

I would not have traded for Reinhart if it meant going thinner on defense, we have plenty of 2nd line forwards. Scoring will not be an issue this season unless we have a plague of injuries, and we have plenty of forward prospects.

I still think it was a bad overpay, but not because they had to dump Ghost, Stralman cost more to dump.
You just don't give that much on a pure gamble on upside.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Well, I have no problem moving out Ghost, since he was blocking York and Zamula for two seasons.
I think post-2017-18 Ghost is the most overrated player by Flyer fans I can remember.

I would not have traded for Reinhart if it meant going thinner on defense, we have plenty of 2nd line forwards. Scoring will not be an issue this season unless we have a plague of injuries, and we have plenty of forward prospects.

I still think it was a bad overpay, but not because they had to dump Ghost, Stralman cost more to dump.
You just don't give that much on a pure gamble on upside.

I’ll agree to disagree on Reinhart because I think he’s a significantly better impact on the team than Risto, but I get your point.

Who is Ghost blocking if he’s the 2nd or 3rd pair RD?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Ghost was blocking Yorkj and Zamula!"

"Signing Yandle wont block York and Zamula"

the two are about as mutually exclusive as you can get.

You mean a player with a 2 year/$4.5M contract is less of a block than a player with a 1 year, minimum salary?
You can't bury Ghost in the AHL or the pressbox without cap consequences, you can do so with Yandle.

I suspect that in a few years we'll find out the reason the Flyers had to pay to dump Ghost is his knees are far worse than has been revealed, but to trade him you have to give the other team his medicals. He's probably healthy enough not to go on LTIR, but bad enough to present a serious risk of decline over the next two years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’ll agree to disagree on Reinhart because I think he’s a significantly better impact on the team than Risto, but I get your point.

Who is Ghost blocking if he’s the 2nd or 3rd pair RD?

He wouldn't be the 2nd pair RHD, and Braun is the 3rd pair RHD.
Ghost would have been the 5th D-man and PP QB.
They never considered him as an option for the top four, and neither did any other team in the NHL.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
You mean a player with a 2 year/$4.5M contract is less of a block than a player with a 1 year, minimum salary?
You can't bury Ghost in the AHL or the pressbox without cap consequences, you can do so with Yandle.

I suspect that in a few years we'll find out the reason the Flyers had to pay to dump Ghost is his knees are far worse than has been revealed, but to trade him you have to give the other team his medicals. He's probably healthy enough not to go on LTIR, but bad enough to present a serious risk of decline over the next two years.

With York in the lineup, Ghost is still one of their 6 best defenseman and 3 best RD. I’m failing to see why Ghost would need to be put in the press box or buried in the AHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Salary isn't the block. Coach preference is.

30 other HCs felt the same, or they'd have begged their GM to pick him up at no cost.
Teams find a way to make cap room for players they want.

Just because some fans on a message board consider Ghost a top four D-man, it's obvious no one in the NHL shares that assessment, a few GMs might be wrong, but when the whole league agrees, I'll take the consensus - it's not like Ghost is an unknown quantity, there's plenty of film on him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
30 other HCs felt the same, or they'd have begged their GM to pick him up at no cost.
Teams find a way to make cap room for players they want.

Just because some fans on a message board consider Ghost a top four D-man, it's obvious no one in the NHL shares that assessment, a few GMs might be wrong, but when the whole league agrees, I'll take the consensus - it's not like Ghost is an unknown quantity, there's plenty of film on him.

Head coaches and GMs are notoriously infallible and never get player evaluations wrong collectively.

That's the argument? It's been debunked repeatedly.

Anyway, Yandle is blocking York and Zamula because AV will lust over him. Salary is irrelevant.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
He wouldn't be the 2nd pair RHD, and Braun is the 3rd pair RHD.
Ghost would have been the 5th D-man and PP QB.
They never considered him as an option for the top four, and neither did any other team in the NHL.

We’re going to argue the semantics of who we label as 2nd or 3rd pair? Their 3 best RD would be Ellis, Ghost, and Braun. Their 3 best LD would be Provorov, Sanheim, and York. The coach should be able to figure out how to make three working pairs out of that, even if it means committing the mortal sin of moving Provorov away from Ellis and off the “1st” pair

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

This front office had no problem putting Ghost in the press box and playing inferior players over him. He wasnt blocking anyone.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Head coaches and GMs are notoriously infallible and never get player evaluations wrong collectively.

That's the argument? It's been debunked repeatedly.

Anyway, Yandle is blocking York and Zamula because AV will lust over him. Salary is irrelevant.

there is a 0.0% chance Yandke signed here to be a healthy scratch or play in the AHL, he is going to be a roster staple...

100% he now blocks a youth.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad