2021 Roster Thread XVII - Targeting "Someone Else"

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think G and Couts are going anywhere, what coach doesn't want them around, and with the flat cap, I think they know they're not getting huge extensions, nor would they be "hot commodities" in free agency, no Panarin like deals available.

However, Voracek, Ghost, JVR, are certainly available.
Packaging a young player in the right deal is a possibility.
#13 might also come into play in a deal for a young player.

Unfortunately for some, Hagg, Braun, Laughton, don't qualify as "blockbuster" deals.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers fans gonna Flyers fan, bro. It's predictable and nauseating. Most miserable, clueless fanbase in all of Philadelphia and it isn't even close. Everyone is either a blind homer who thinks every player and the team is way better than they are, or bitches and complains over every little thing and thinks the team, players, and prospects are all trash. Of course they are also a growing number of people who are player/prospects homer but irrationally bash coaches and/or management. People like you, Myself, Ghost beer, and couple of others around here who simply call things how they are and a take measured reasonable approach to evaluating things are a rare thing in Flyers fandom.

The Flyers adding to Couturier in order to acquire Galchenyuk was your idea of measured and reasonable four years ago. And that was just the first result when I put your username and Couturier in the search boxes for the Trade forum. Please stop acting as if you’re some kind of impartial and talented talent evaluator.

Value of: - Couturier to MTL?

The only trade here that makes sense for the Flyers is something centered around Galchenyuk. The Flyers would obviously have to add, how much is debatable. Galchenyuk at LW makes them a much better team though. Not sure why Montreal seems so eager to move on from him.

Also, for those saying Couturier doesn't help Montreal because they have Danault, come on. I'm one of those rare Flyers fans who realizes Couturier is a 3rd line center (not 2nd line talent) but he is a very good one and a much better player than Danault.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don't think G and Couts are going anywhere, what coach doesn't want them around, and with the flat cap, I think they know they're not getting huge extensions, nor would they be "hot commodities" in free agency, no Panarin like deals available.

Unfortunately for some, Hagg, Braun, Laughton, don't qualify as "blockbuster" deals.
You don’t think Couts would be a hot commodity as a UFA? He would. They need to lock him up long term. I’m ok with cutting G loose to do it, but would rather deal JVR and Jake first. Seattle should take Ghost if they are smart. When does Hayes’ NMC expire?

Reactions: renberg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I could definitely see Couturier moving if they don’t think they can re-sign him and no one has gone on record about anything on that. That really should be a priority this off-season to get somewhere even if it’s not done.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You don’t think Couts would be a hot commodity as a UFA? He would. They need to lock him up long term. I’m ok with cutting G loose to do it, but would rather deal JVR and Jake first. Seattle should take Ghost if they are smart. When does Hayes’ NMC expire?
Next summer Hayes NMC ends and it becomes a NTC

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hayes isn't going anywhere until they develop/obtain some young centers.
Even if Frost has a solid season, he's a 3C until proven otherwise.
Patrick???
Laczynski is probably going to end up at RW, does he have the speed to play center above 4C.

Eichel is a pipe dream, Buffalo will almost certainly send him to the other conference unless you make an "offer they can't refuse" and he's simply not that good - he's not going to make any team a winner, he'll help a good team get better.

As far as Couts, Stone got 8yr/$76M, which would be more like $80M in Philly, but that was pre-COVID.
Kopitar got 8/80 starting at 29, and that's a comparable that will urge caution
Seguin got 8/79 starting at 27
Backstrom 5/46 starting at 32 - January before COVID

Couts will be 30 (in December) starting his new contract, so something akin to Backstrom, but with a COVID discount, is most likely.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Unless he's straight up told them he's not re-signing, it's difficult to see them move Couturier during the off-season. Now, if they are faltering in January? That's another matter.

Reactions: Striiker

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Flyers fans gonna Flyers fan, bro. It's predictable and nauseating. Most miserable, clueless fanbase in all of Philadelphia and it isn't even close. Everyone is either a blind homer who thinks every player and the team is way better than they are, or bitches and complains over every little thing and thinks the team, players, and prospects are all trash. Of course they are also a growing number of people who are player/prospects homer but irrationally bash coaches and/or management. People like you, Myself, Ghost beer, and couple of others around here who simply call things how they are and a take measured reasonable approach to evaluating things are a rare thing in Flyers fandom.

what shocks me that they dont look at other teams that are in the playoffs and compare it to this roster, like we are far from it, even before the bubble we couldnt beat tampa, we couldnt beat the islanders and fans are still thinking we are better than them and when we got knocked out last year, it was freaking the team quit on av nonsense and not the hockey sense of why we couldnt beat these teams? it's because we are not matched well, we are not physical enough to beat these teams even size advantage we didnt match up well.

that's why when i look at montreal's offseason and i picked them to make the playoffs before the season started because they got bigger and more physical heck they could be a darkhorse of going to the finals because of their size.

when fletch did nothing and we got smaller in the offseason, i knew we werent going to make the playoffs even before the season the started because of what he didnt do. and fans and media on twitter are shocked? it's like fans of hextall really got their heads stuck in the sand because they believe that getting smaller means being better like no way. you need to be physical, have size, and goaltending to make the playoffs it's that simple.

Reactions: The Madrigal

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Getting smaller doesn’t seem to be a proper account of what Hextall was trying to do. He had hardly any time for any defenseman who didn’t fit a specific mold.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ya, my post on Caufield wasn't to shit on York. Hopefully York becomes a Vlasic type steady Eddie.
However, having a top 10 prospect drop to us was almost as good as those magic lottery balls that got Patrick.

Seeing him play confirms that. I'll support York through and through but Caulfield was the guy I wanted.
I wouldn’t compare York to Vlasic. Maybe more someone like Duncan Keith.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
There was a work out pic out pre season. He is jacked, and I believe a gym/rink rat. Look it up. Apparently whatever size he is he will get the most out of it, but that isn't even his defensive game. He does everything else extremely well. Position, stick, body position, denial anticipation are all considered excellent.

As with most guys on his career path he has also likely played against bigger players for at least the last few years. Its not new to him.

I am not in the know like some of the posters who replied, but I really like York. A do it all well Dman is very valuable. I also liked his confidence with the Flyers. He wasn’t worried about passing the puck to a vet or whatever like we see with prospects and players on the Flyers all the time. He has swagger and to me, that means good things for him going forward. Confidence is what is needed to try things that will result in better offense and expanding the tools they have. Some guys have that like York, some guys need to “not be rushed” so they can get it in the minors. I think that’s the difference that others have cited in his better than expected play under pressure and better than expected creativity. He’s going to want IT which will translate to good things. Similar to what I have seen in Farabee and Allison.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not size, it's 'tude. TK is more physical than Voracek.

Which is why I think it's very possible Fletcher will shake this team up by moving out Ghost, Voracek and JVR.
Add a physical RHD and a fast forechecking bottom six forward who can shoot the puck and make room for the kids who have more of an edge, Allison, Foerster, Wisdom, the next season or two.

G - Couts -TK is a top scoring line, but it's also a "soft" line.
Farabee (\as he fills out) - Hayes - Allison is a physical two way line.
Lindblom - Frost - ??? (Patrick, Laczynski, trade)
Laughton - Laczynski - Patrick - NAK

It wouldn't shock me if Fletcher wants to remake this team more like the four finalists this year, more speed, more edge, less finesse. Signing Laughton is a clear signal. He's that bottom six player who can score, but is also a top forechecker and PK guy.

Teams that take away the pass shut this offense down b/c they don't have the players to go to the net to set screens and deflections and the 'tude to win board battles or the speed to chase the puck. They pass around the perimeter until they take a weak shot or turn the puck over.

Physical really isn't about hitting (except on the forecheck, and defensemen at the blue line) but going to dirty areas, using your body, paying the price at the blue paint, winning board battles, and so on. That's what this team lacks, just look at the playoffs this year, or the Caps, Blues or TB the last three years. Pens are the last "finesse" team to win a Cup, and even then, that team got faster and more physical when Sullivan took over and they promoted their AHL forwards.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
And Konecny isn’t even very physical. Sure he’ll make faces & yap, but offensively he plays largely on the perimeter, he’s not particularly good on the boards, & how many times does he get in hard on the forecheck & lay the body? Not often. He threw his (limited) size around more when he was trying to make the team.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
That tweet from pucksauce makes me nervous. Chuck has a history of liking to make sure the other team he’s dealing with via trade is well taken care of.

Serenity now.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

Its starting to look like the FO is going to blow up this club. As for G and Couts, I can see AV not wanting them around. Two all star vets who the younger players should look up to that might not want to go along with the the coach's act. The problem for management with moving out these two is that they are the franchise in the yes of most of the fan base. Trade them away and its a total rebuild in every way.
As for who might get moved out, not Provorov since he's been dubbed the top defenseman by management; Farabee because he's too good to trade; Laughton since he signed a new deal, Hayes and Lindblom. After that, anyone could be dealt. I'll be really surprised if Voracek, JVR and Ghost are here for camp.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Its starting to look like the FO is going to blow up this club. As for G and Couts, I can see AV not wanting them around. Two all star vets who the younger players should look up to that might not want to go along with the the coach's act. The problem for management with moving out these two is that they are the franchise in the yes of most of the fan base. Trade them away and its a total rebuild in every way.
As for who might get moved out, not Provorov since he's been dubbed the top defenseman by management; Farabee because he's too good to trade; Laughton since he signed a new deal, Hayes and Lindblom. After that, anyone could be dealt. I'll be really surprised if Voracek, JVR and Ghost are here for camp.
Couturier has already supported the coaching staff & blamed unnamed players for inconsistent effort.

Reactions: orangey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad