2021 Roster Thread XVII - Targeting "Someone Else"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, he looked pretty good in his short cameo this year and you only hear good things about him. So I have no idea why people are complaining about the pick.

Caufield has 2 goals in these playoffs. He's looked good, but it's not like he's carried his team to the Conference Final.

Yea both can be good and that’s fine. I definitely think we hit with York who should be at worst a 2nd pair dman. That’s great to me. We have a lot of wings and they are easier to draft and sign.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The other you keep alluding to is Boldy, right? That was my guy on draft day.

Yes, forgetting Caufield (who I could’ve gone both ways on really), I would’ve taken Boldy at 11. But at 14, I had Harley and Tomasino above York too. Honestly, they all are tracking great. Tomasino as a late birthday 19 year old just went over a point/game in the AHL. That’s rarefied air. He has tons of offensive talent, speed, and finishing. Boldy was one of the best players in college and also was over a p/g in the AHL. Harley was one of the youngest players in the class and he also had a great AHL season. I think his ceiling is higher than York’s. People fawn over Pietrangelo — I see people throwing out Power and Pietrangelo comparisons — and this kid might actually have a slightly similar skill-set.

It honestly was a really good middle 1st, so obsessing on just Caufield — who does have some flaws and isn’t a line driver — is so weird. Again, I like him. Doubt they trade up for Brink if they selected him though. Probably wouldn’t have selected Nick Robertson at 45 either. Lord knows.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yea both can be good and that’s fine. I definitely think we hit with York who should be at worst a 2nd pair dman. That’s great to me. We have a lot of wings and they are easier to draft and sign.
EXACTLY. That's why all of this comparing York to Caufield stuff is stupid. We didn't draft Caufield and he's on the Habs. We did draft York though and we need to him become a really good NHL defenseman. What Caufield does or does not do has nothing to do with York and comparing him to a guy at a different position who was drafted after him is creating silly and unfair expectations.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Actually, according to many on this board, it's Giroux's and Voracek's fault. All blame falls on the core and leadership.

They've been here the whole time the teams sucked so it must be their fault.

you know what else has been here the entire of this core and even longer ??

the bench.... we should def remove that bitch, its clearly making these guys soft... force em to stand the whole game i say...

bunch of bloody softies...

be a f***ing Flyer....:DD

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Caufield is definitely looking like a Reagor vs Jefferson type mistake....
So let me get this straight. Justin Jefferson broke a rookie record for receiving yards, and Jalen Reagor had a bad, injury plagued season. Somehow that is comparable to CC having 6 goals/12 points in his first 22 NHL games, and apparently deciding that Cam York will be bad based on three games. Hello apple, my name is orange.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yeah, he looked pretty good in his short cameo this year and you only hear good things about him. So I have no idea why people are complaining about the pick.

Caufield has 2 goals in these playoffs. He's looked good, but it's not like he's carried his team to the Conference Final.
Flyers fans gonna Flyers fan, bro. It's predictable and nauseating. Most miserable, clueless fanbase in all of Philadelphia and it isn't even close. Everyone is either a blind homer who thinks every player and the team is way better than they are, or bitches and complains over every little thing and thinks the team, players, and prospects are all trash. Of course they are also a growing number of people who are player/prospects homer but irrationally bash coaches and/or management. People like you, Myself, Ghost beer, and couple of others around here who simply call things how they are and a take measured reasonable approach to evaluating things are a rare thing in Flyers fandom.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flyers fans gonna Flyers fan, bro. It's predictable and nauseating. Most miserable, clueless fanbase in all of Philadelphia and it isn't even close. Everyone is either a blind homer who thinks every player and the team is way better than they are, or bitches and complains over every little thing and thinks the team, players, and prospects are all trash. Of course they are also a growing number of people who are player/prospects homer but irrationally bash coaches and/or management. People like you, Myself, Ghost beer, and couple of others around here who simply call things how they are and a take measured reasonable approach to evaluating things are a rare thing in Flyers fandom.

No one knows that better than you DantheFlyeraFan, the leader of the Clueless & Miserable Brigade.

Don't you have another atrocious trade proposal that would set us back even further to concoct?

Let me save you the trouble of even typing your own reply..

"Something, something echo chamber...something, something put your money where your mouth is and make a poll about it"

What an all-time Bozo

2fe4ca6713f47f19a29bb5254e4db209.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
Yes, forgetting Caufield (who I could’ve gone both ways on really), I would’ve taken Boldy at 11. But at 14, I had Harley and Tomasino above York too. Honestly, they all are tracking great. Tomasino as a late birthday 19 year old just went over a point/game in the AHL. That’s rarefied air. He has tons of offensive talent, speed, and finishing. Boldy was one of the best players in college and also was over a p/g in the AHL. Harley was one of the youngest players in the class and he also had a great AHL season. I think his ceiling is higher than York’s. People fawn over Pietrangelo — I see people throwing out Power and Pietrangelo comparisons — and this kid might actually have a slightly similar skill-set.

It honestly was a really good middle 1st, so obsessing on just Caufield — who does have some flaws and isn’t a line driver — is so weird. Again, I like him. Doubt they trade up for Brink if they selected him though. Probably wouldn’t have selected Nick Robertson at 45 either. Lord knows.

I am curious on your thinking on this, and would like to ask you to elaborate. To me York has significant “upside” as a 1st pair, rock solid, minute eating, send out in all situations defenseman. A Kimmo type, not flashy, but a guy that wins you games. I think there is tremendous “upside” in that, even if it isn't espn/tsn high-lights, flashy offensive, big hits.

I’d also ask for input on defenseman reliance on a partner. This season has really made me consider the value of being an alfa in the partnership on defense. Is York less reliant on a partner due to his extremely well rounded game? Will his solid overall game, and adaptability improve his partner by allowing a partner to pay to their strengths. Is that ability less recognized and undervalued? Is it unrecognized in looking at “upside”?

Reactions: Magua and Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What York brings isn't sexy, but tends to be more sustainable, look at Spurgeon.
The value of a York v say a Sanheim is he's probably going to be easier to build pairs around, and CYA for offensive oriented partners.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
This is his self-proclaimed all-star team of Flyers fans, who "simply call things how they are and a take measured reasonable approach to evaluating things".

8243c7ce6775363d6b2ebb02e6996330.png

24626d621adf724a6a27a76e1bddc790.png

e180d26742379be69e883c0938fb37ad.png

I mean, the first time you posted this, it proved a point. But by the hundredth time you repost old posts of this ilk, it more or less loses its meaning. And before you respond with something like “rent free” or “go seek treatment,” I think it’s fair to ask the question. Does The Madrigal live in your head?

Reactions: BritainStix

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean, the first time you posted this, it proved a point. But by the hundredth time you repost old posts of this ilk, it more or less loses its meaning. And before you respond with something like “rent free” or “go seek treatment,” I think it’s fair to ask the question. Does The Madrigal live in your head?
screenshot_2015-08-11-08-31-00-1.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I am curious on your thinking on this, and would like to ask you to elaborate. To me York has significant “upside” as a 1st pair, rock solid, minute eating, send out in all situations defenseman. A Kimmo type, not flashy, but a guy that wins you games. I think there is tremendous “upside” in that, even if it isn't espn/tsn high-lights, flashy offensive, big hits.

I’d also ask for input on defenseman reliance on a partner. This season has really made me consider the value of being an alfa in the partnership on defense. Is York less reliant on a partner due to his extremely well rounded game? Will his solid overall game, and adaptability improve his partner by allowing a partner to pay to their strengths. Is that ability less recognized and undervalued? Is it unrecognized in looking at “upside”?

I very much appreciate York’s high efficiency plays. I’ve seen York so many times since the NTDP. I don’t think I’d change a single word in my evaluation over the years. That’s mostly a positive, but it’s a slight negative too. I like him a lot, so don’t think otherwise.

I don’t project any prospect as a top pair defender, unless you have legitimate standout traits. Otherwise, there’s too much gap filling. Maybe York can be that -- maybe his analytics just shine -- but I think it’s safer to say he might be a #3 caliber guy with wiggle room. That’s hella valuable. I don’t like the Timonen comparison — he was a legitimate #1 caliber guy. And I’m not at all specifically criticizing you, because it’s repeated everywhere, but it just seems a too easy Flyers comparison.

I think York’s adaptable, I think he’s well rounded, I think his play driving and puck moving will be sound. I don’t think he’s partner reliant. I do think he lacks a dynamic element or killer offensive instinct, and it’s more mental than physical. Honestly, it can go the other way too much with downplaying his skill — his hands are terrific and passes always crisp. But he’s content to not challenge guys 1v1 and will often make the safe play and pass it off. It’s not a bad trait. He excels at playing within the flow of others. It’s just not an especially high ceiling one either. I still expect plenty of offense given the usage.

I think he’s a very good PP QB, but I don’t think he’s a slam dunk elite PP guy. Again, back to the efficiency, also his shot won’t be too respected. I think he’s got a good stick and gap control and is smart, but I think the idea of him being a smaller defensive wunderkind is a bit overblown. He handles himself well, but he’s not Jared Spur-

What York brings isn't sexy, but tends to be more sustainable, look at Spurgeon.

We’re doing the thing again, deady! Spurgeon is one of the most valuable all-around defenders in the league.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Subban is probably available. Only $9m is a bargain for a former Norris winner. Missing out on him once was already a fireable offense for Fletcher, so to miss out twice would really show his stupidity.

Something, something, I only bring up Subban occasionally when there is a clear and direct link to the conversation, something.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Putting your silly personal agenda against AV aside to have a real discussion, did you see what Hart said after the season. He pretty much came out and said he was going through depression this year. He lives alone in an apartment and due to covid he wasn't able to go out at all other than when he was playing. I'm sure the struggles came first, and then he was spending way too much time in his own head but it was obvious all year that he was battling himself mentally. Obviously the team in front of him was a major issue and it looked like he was trying to do too much to compensate. That said, they don't say 90 percent of sports of mental because it isn't true. I have ZERO concern about Hart for next year and beyond.

Considering we now know Hart was suffering from depression and as you said likely spending far to much time stewing on it at home by himself. What are your thoughts on his coach throwing him under the bus to the media?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We’re doing the thing again, deady! Spurgeon is one of the most valuable all-around defenders in the league.

Spurgeon in his 20s wasn't at the same level he's reached the last few years, but was still damned valuable.
But it was an understated value, just consistent solid defense, good puck movement, high IQ.
Then around his 6th season, he upped his offensive game.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
York vs Caufield isn't where it's at. At the time, that was a good pick. It may still be a good pick.

Caufield vs Brink, now. There it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad