Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
bbbls.gif

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
And I sorta want to be a Presidential advisor.

If he's settled into his hometown with million in the bank and multiple restaurants/bars, me thinks he's pursuing a different career path, one where "assistant coach" probably isn't that attractive.

I provided no commentary, just answered someone's question. Yes, he has in the past expressed an interest in coaching. Yes, with the Flyers. It's been quite a while though and at the time he wasn't ready. He may well have / probably has moved on.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
What did Fletch do?

He did trade 26 yr old Brett Burns who went on to win a Norris Trophy

He'll trade Provy for Calgary's Gaudreau and a 5th rd. pick

Flyers will be faster, score a few more goals but will be outscored by 2/3 goals every game while their Dmen COMBINED can't play D .

It'll be exciting tho' watch Johnny and Razzmatazz flying around playing their playground hockey.....

just NEVER check the standings OR the Flyers Goals Against ..... EVER

:sarcasm:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’ll say this about Hextall: he was creative in his hires. Yes, the actual people hired had the creativity of door knobs, but the process was undoubtedly not insular. Hiring the first college coach since Herb Brooks; hiring a young, top CHL coach. Not defending the hires, or the hockey philosophies, but the process.

If the criticism was the Flyers were no longer an Old Boys Club, Fletcher is doing exactly what he was hired to do: keep it in the family. With the exception of Alain, which was still an unimaginative hire that just selected the highest paid biggest name retread, you have Alain’s BFF, Fletcher’s long time Wild coach, Lappy shuffled around again, Fletcher’s long time defenseman, Terry Murray’s corpse. Even the Habsburgs are like, “Kinda incestuous, yeah?”

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I’ll say this about Hextall: he was creative in his hires. Yes, the actual people hired had the creativity of door knobs, but the process was undoubtedly not insular. Hiring the first college coach since Herb Brooks; hiring a young, top CHL coach. Not defending the hires, or the hockey philosophies, but the process.

If the criticism was the Flyers were no longer an Old Boys Club, Fletcher is doing exactly what he was hired to do: keep it in the family. With the exception of Alain, which was still an unimaginative hire that just selected the highest paid biggest name retread, you have Alain’s BFF, Fletcher’s long time Wild coach, Lappy shuffled around again, Fletcher’s long time defenseman, Terry Murray’s corpse. Even the Habsburgs are like, “Kinda incestuous, yeah?”

That's part of the reason why I'm surprised many still don't care for Hexy...Hakstol definitely was around too long, but I assumed many here would like the fact that Hextall tried something different for a change. Didn't kowtow to higher management or Alums (which he is one himself, of course).

I guess the answer is obvious that we just aren't happy when we're losing or mediocre, but that's one element where I think I expected more love for Hexy.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Irwin

Jul 27, 2016
Helsinki
Currently Kimmo is busy with:

- Multiple restaurants and bars located on Kuopio as mentioned

- Successfull podcast in Finland with the most known Finnish NHL commentator (I think he occasionally does some play by play. He joins to the studio stuff via video as well)

- Multiple charities in Finland and in the US through his own charity org

- Most importantly, family. They are definitely migrated to their local community after living abroad for 15+ years

I'm sure he enjoys the time spent with multiple endeavours. Focusing on Lehigh Valley or any development role would take so much time, is he willing to invest? Won't blame him if he does not feel like it ATM, seems like an interesting time in his life.

Personally, I would not put my hopes up in seeing him behind the bench other than junior or peewee hockey in his community and in the summer camps.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
That's part of the reason why I'm surprised many still don't care for Hexy...Hakstol definitely was around too long, but I assumed many here would like the fact that Hextall tried something different for a change. Didn't kowtow to higher management or Alums (which he is one himself, of course).

I guess the answer is obvious that we just aren't happy when we're losing or mediocre, but that's one element where I think I expected more love for Hexy.

Well, if you’re expecting love for hiring Hakstol, good luck. I don’t think anyone disliked that Hextall pulled from way outside the organization in his hires. The problem was they proved to be duds real fast — although Knoblauch was still unknown and probably had a case for an AHL role, but when you have Scott Gordon (a Hextall hire to be fair)....

Hextall was exhaustive in his search for bland and mediocre talent in the player and coaching ranks. But at a certain point, it became quite obvious he was bland and mediocre himself as a hockey mind. I praise his not inwards thinking process, but this total overcompensation towards the Old Boy Regime was inevitable when he didn’t produce results.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well, if you’re expecting love for hiring Hakstol, good luck. I don’t think anyone disliked that Hextall pulled from way outside the organization in his hires. The problem was they proved to be duds real fast — although Knoblauch was still unknown and probably had a case for an AHL role, but when you have Scott Gordon (a Hextall hire to be fair)....

Hextall was exhaustive in his search for bland and mediocre talent in the player and coaching ranks. But at a certain point, it became quite obvious he was bland and mediocre himself as a hockey mind. I praise his not inwards thinking process, but this total overcompensation towards the Old Boy Regime was inevitable when he didn’t produce results.

I'm not asking for love for hiring Hakstol specifically, but rather him doing something different than what we had been doing (in both his coaching hires, information spreading & his team-building strategy).

I don't quite agree on mediocrity in players, but that horse has been beaten to death and this offseason is probably the worst time to defend him on that as most of his choices had terrible years this past year.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Do you guys think it's a coincidence that Yzerman built Tampa, Sakic built Colorado, meanwhile the Flyers have had a never-ending string of plugs, grinders, goalies and goons as coaches and GMs for decades?

It does seem like one considering ancient goalie Jim Rutherford won two Cups in Pittsburgh.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he's fired today he likely doesn't have to work another day in his life

Which is irrelevant. Sakic and Yzerman made much more money than Fletcher as former star players, but they don't want to get fired. So did Hextall, and Hexy definitely cared when he got fired.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Which is irrelevant. Sakic and Yzerman made much more money than Fletcher as former star players, but they don't want to get fired. So did Hextall, and Hexy definitely cared when he got fired.

Some are more competitive and passionate than others.

But let's for a second pretend he does care and is deeply invested in the success of this franchise. The hires and player acquisitions (especially at the AHL level) just tell us the issue is incompetence rather than how much he cares.

Either way, we aren't sitting pretty right now.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Exactly what I was thinking. I was initially pleased but am extra angry that Hextall's selection is armour plating against having to do any outside-the-FO hiring. "An NCAA coach??!?! Nooo, we tried that once ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad