Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglesfan0366

Nov 26, 2017

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, if you’re expecting love for hiring Hakstol, good luck. I don’t think anyone disliked that Hextall pulled from way outside the organization in his hires. The problem was they proved to be duds real fast — although Knoblauch was still unknown and probably had a case for an AHL role, but when you have Scott Gordon (a Hextall hire to be fair)....

Hextall was exhaustive in his search for bland and mediocre talent in the player and coaching ranks. But at a certain point, it became quite obvious he was bland and mediocre himself as a hockey mind. I praise his not inwards thinking process, but this total overcompensation towards the Old Boy Regime was inevitable when he didn’t produce results.

The Hakstol hiring was an illusion. It looked like they were broadening horizons to bring in new, untapped talent, but in the end it was just the usual Country Clubbing. Gotta hire your son's coach lol. Flyers Hockey! What a culture! Such success for many decades!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Nolan Patrick changed agents because he wants out of Philly

NHL trade rumors: Flyers' Nolan Patrick changed agents because he wants out of Philly

“Nolan Patrick does not want to be here anymore; he doesn’t like the criticism that he’s facing, he doesn’t like the spotlight that’s on him, he doesn’t like the coach, at all. I don’t think Nolan Patrick wants to be here.”

I love how he definitively says nolan doesnt want to be here and then in the same quote says "I dont THINK he wants to be here".

eaglesfan0366

Nov 26, 2017
I love how he definitively says nolan doesnt want to be here and then in the same quote says "I dont THINK he wants to be here".

Let's package NP, Hagg, and a 3rd to get a partner on the 1st pair for Provorov. Then bring in some grit and sandpaper on the 4th line and this teams looks nice

Reactions: eaglesfan036

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Imagine my surprise today when on my "Alerts", someone on the main boards bumped a post from June 2017 where I said: "Maybe we should bookmark this comment and re-visit in a few years". So what was the deal that I laughed at?

#1 overall Pick in 2017 for Myers+Sanheim+Couturier+Lindblom+Konecny+1st next year(ended up Farabee)

NJ fan: "I think would be hard to pass up but anything less I'm not sure I could say yes to. Devils have such a shallow prospect pool and Flyers have a deep one it maybe could work."

So he bumped the thread to take the loss but then said this: Myers+Sanheim+Couturier+Lindblom+Konecny+2018 1st is worth more than Hischier, I concede, and it isn't close. But I think it's an open question if they are worth more than the most valuable player from that draft (Cale Makar or even Pettersson)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There isn’t a single NHL player worth five other NHL players especially now a days with the salary cap & all the ramifications from that. Coututier by himself offers a good amount of on ice value let alone four other NHLers (some of top 4D/6F quality).

Even the Lindros trade back in the day. Quebec/Colorado got an equal player essentially in Forsberg back directly from that deal. Plus all the other stuff we gave them which they used for other transactions. Roy & Deadmarsh were acquired with those assets in other transactions.

The Flyers could obviously float back then with no salary cap. So draft picks/futures weren’t as valuable back then especially to a deep pocket team. But even then just directly we gave more value than Lindros could even match.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The Hakstol hiring was an illusion. It looked like they were broadening horizons to bring in new, untapped talent, but in the end it was just the usual Country Clubbing. Gotta hire your son's coach lol. Flyers Hockey! What a culture! Such success for many decades!

Hextall had some good ideas but he really whiffed on them. Hiring Hakstol (good idea) but he held onto him for far too long. Coupled with his severe odd philosophies. I think his draft grade is still "to be determined" though.

Reactions: Redpath

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hextall had some good ideas but he really whiffed on them. Hiring Hakstol (good idea) but he held onto him for far too long. Coupled with his severe odd philosophies. I think his draft grade is still "to be determined" though.
Was it really a good idea when the main reason probably was that Hakstol coached Hextall's son?
If the goal was to hire someone with absolutely no personality, then he definitely succeeded though.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Nolan Patrick changed agents because he wants out of Philly

NHL trade rumors: Flyers' Nolan Patrick changed agents because he wants out of Philly

“Nolan Patrick does not want to be here anymore; he doesn’t like the criticism that he’s facing, he doesn’t like the spotlight that’s on him, he doesn’t like the coach, at all. I don’t think Nolan Patrick wants to be here.”

giphy.gif

Reactions: BernieParent

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
This is why we need Briere as our next GM.

would it matter? I like to think that it would but the shit flows up stream. Until the Flyers get a fresh set of eyes above the GM than this stupid shit will continue. Fletcher is a yes man.
Tear it all down and bring in hockey people who have a goddamn clue. This good ol boys club is decades past its due date.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
would it matter? I like to think that it would but the shit flows up stream. Until the Flyers get a fresh set of eyes above the GM than this stupid shit will continue. Fletcher is a yes man.
Tear it all down and bring in hockey people who have a goddamn clue. This good ol boys club is decades past its due date.

Pronger as President of Hockey Ops with Briere as GM. Both former Flyers that love the organization but werent here long enough to be truly tainted lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad