Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It is absolutely hysterical to me that this team makes roster moves everyday, without ever announcing them, except for maaaaaaybe once a week, then don’t even announce all of them :biglaugh:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
They must want Stolarz to play one of the back to back games this weekend for the Gulls. Poor Jeff Glass won't be playing at all this season. Although, from the sound of it, he is almost more of a coach than a player.

Glass will turn 36 this year, last season he was already playing in the Austrian hockey league, which is not among the top tier in Europe. I think he knows his best days are behind him.

Plus, Glass has been introduced as a "mentor" in at least a few of Gulls' social media posts. In the interview below, recorded only 2 days ago, Glass definitely doesn't seem like a guy who's unhappy in his current situation. He's definitely looking more like a guy, who's interested in taking up coaching after he retires as a player. If so, this could be the best of both worlds for him -- he's building experience for a potential coaching career, while still being employed as a player, capable of standing between the pipes himself if the situation calls for it.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Goaltending musical chairs continues and likely ends for us today as Dostal was sent back to SD, and Stolarz was recalled to the taxi squad.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
It's kinda nuts how much depth there is right now. Soon we're looking at 15 forwards all who can and arguably should play and 8 guys on D who aren't likely getting sent down. Somethings gotta give there, even with the need for an expanded roster.

Bingo!!!
I just mentioned this in the SD thread. Too many guys need looks and playing time.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
It's kinda nuts how much depth there is right now. Soon we're looking at 15 forwards all who can and arguably should play and 8 guys on D who aren't likely getting sent down. Somethings gotta give there, even with the need for an expanded roster.

Agreed, it also has lead to competition for spots which is good for the young players. Giving spots to players who didn't earn it last season was a mistake. I just hope the Ducks can use some of this depth to get a first line forward

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
You got 15 scrubs.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
You got 15 scrubs.

Damn. I was thinking the same thing because no, I don't want no scrubs either. Essentially, a scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me because of his play. I find that they are often the type of players hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride on the ice. These type of players talk too much and are always trying to holla at me or anyone who will listen. Lame. No scrubs for sure

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Damn. I was thinking the same thing because no, I don't want no scrubs either. Essentially, a scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me because of his play. I find that they are often the type of players hanging out the passenger side of his best friend's ride on the ice. These type of players talk too much and are always trying to holla at me or anyone who will listen. Lame. No scrubs for sure
I see what you did there

Reactions: Hey234

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This team has the 4th least goals scored in the league with 32 in 16 games. The only teams below us are the Sabres with 31 in 12, the Wild with 30 in 12, and the Devils with 28 in 10. Our offense is an absolute joke.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This team has the 4th least goals scored in the league with 32 in 16 games. The only teams below us are the Sabres with 31 in 12, the Wild with 30 in 12, and the Devils with 28 in 10. Our offense is an absolute joke.
wow I didn't realize how bad the Sabres were. That Skinner contract looking like the worst contract in the league and Eichel's prime years being absolutely wasted.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
wow I didn't realize how bad the Sabres were. That Skinner contract looking like the worst contract in the league and Eichel's prime years being absolutely wasted.

The Sabres haven’t been near as bad as their numbers, their on ice shooting % at 5v5 is by far a league low of 5.58%. That’s only going to go up as the season goes on. They got a bit shafted with their COVID layoff just as they were starting to play better. It may be too late to dig themselves out of their hole but in an 82 game season I think they would be competing for a playoff spot.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

And people think the Ducks are a move or 2 away from competing right now.

The bright side is the Ducks look really good on the backend for the future.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Yeah I really don't understand it. It's been abundantly clear for a few seasons now that the offense needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt from the ground up. Our current group will never come close to getting it done. I understood people having hope it would bounce back a few seasons ago, but it's apparent now that this isn't working.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

We aren't far from competing because we are competing now with zero offense.

Reactions: Paul4587

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Saying we are competing is incredibly debatable. The Kings and Sharks have 2 less points than us with 2 less GP, the Wild with 3 less points in 4 less GP. We could easily be at the bottom of our division.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Saying we are competing is incredibly debatable. The Kings and Sharks have 2 less points than us with 2 less GP, the Wild with 3 less points in 4 less GP. We could easily be at the bottom of our division.
Competing and accruing points aren't the same thing. We have been right there in games against the best teams in the division with the only difference being finishing talent.

It's not a stretch to believe we are one or two impact moves from competing for the division.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Competing and accruing points aren't the same thing. We have been right there in games against the best teams in the division with the only difference being finishing talent.

It's not a stretch to believe we are one or two impact moves from competing for the division.
I think the real misunderstanding is the difference between “competing” and “contending”. This team is a long way from “contending” for a Stanley Cup but not too far off “competing” for a playoff spot.

They need a 1C or someone with potential to be a 1C. This is something that Bob can’t sit back and wait for because chances are it might not come just by drafting in the top 10. And they need Drysdale and Zegras to be as advertised, hopefully starting next season

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Ya. The problem is top line forwards don't exactly grow on trees and that is what the Ducks need.
And even if they had that, they are still another 2 top line forwards away from contending.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think the real misunderstanding is the difference between “competing” and “contending”. This team is a long way from “contending” for a Stanley Cup but not too far off “competing” for a playoff spot.

They need a 1C or someone with potential to be a 1C. This is something that Bob can’t sit back and wait for because chances are it might not come just by drafting in the top 10. And they need Drysdale and Zegras to be as advertised, hopefully starting next season

That's the thing, though, he's probably going to have to sit back and wait for it. I don't think there's a top 10 center in the league not playing for the team that drafted them and there's only a couple in the top 20. Opportunities come up and he definitely should pursue every one, but chances are the only way to get a true #1 center is to draft one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad