2021 QMJHL Draft

archie

Apr 5, 2018
The Charlottetown team has advertised on twitter there camp starts tonight is it on line does anyone know?

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
I still don't understand how things work on PEI, can someone explain the selection process for the two major teams?

Why were Kennsington players Bowness, Thompson, Andrews and Murphy all at the Charlottetown training camp? Did they get released from Kennsington after this past season?

Then you have local Mount U17 players (Squires, Morris, J MacDonald) also in the mix? If they don't return to the Prep school then it doesn't leave much room for 06's unless they all go to Kennsington. I just don't get how it works with no boundaries or loyalty from year to year. I get some guys will likely stick with a Q team or elect for Junior A but did all these guys show up in Kennsington too?

PEIslander902

Jun 2, 2021
Short history version of PEI Major Midget
  • First teams in Charlottetown and Cornwall only a few kilometres apart - no boundaries, player choice where to go. Rights stayed with that team unless released
  • Cornwall moves to Kensington, still no boundaries, player choice, rights stayed
  • Charlottetown team changes hands a couple of years ago and players start asking for release from both teams. Teams allow them to go.
These are just Spring ID camps and are not "tryouts" or "training camps" but it has become an issue of players flipping from team to team the last couple of years. At what point does/should Hockey PEI step in and make some rules, boundary lines, etc.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
They just want to be the safest place to live, show the most love and find a way to develop as many good young hockey players as possible without have restrictions overcoming logic! Good ole P E I hockey somethings never change you have to Love the Island!!

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
I still don't understand how things work on PEI, can someone explain the selection process for the two major teams?

Why were Kennsington players Bowness, Thompson, Andrews and Murphy all at the Charlottetown training camp? Did they get released from Kennsington after this past season?

Then you have local Mount U17 players (Squires, Morris, J MacDonald) also in the mix? If they don't return to the Prep school then it doesn't leave much room for 06's unless they all go to Kennsington. I just don't get how it works with no boundaries or loyalty from year to year. I get some guys will likely stick with a Q team or elect for Junior A but did all these guys show up in Kennsington too?
They must be out there for ice time, as none were released as the dead line to be released has past the June 1 DEADLINE. None of the Knights players attended the Wild ID camp so these players should not of registered to go to theirs. Not even sure why the Knights Mngrs would even accept their request to go on the ice as they will only take a spot for a 06 or a AAA player trying to move up. I think this is a shame and poor judgement on the parents behalf. On another note the Knight's camp may not of drew enough players to ice two teams at the time when they had to put the two teams together and took their money without interest of keeping the Wild boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letsgo14

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Hardly any qmjhl draft eligible players taken in the ushl draft, does that effect any of your opinions on where some people might go in the q draft? I know some kids will play prep, but I’m sure there’s quite a few who had wanted to play in the ushl next season.

archie

Apr 5, 2018
Everybody wants to be a winner..including Hockey PEI. Development, accountability, commitment, team pride are all displaced in an attempt to be on a winning program.
I believe more people are starting to believe that!

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Another scouting agency released their top 150 for the draft. The #'s are pretty consistent with the CSR list, both have 26-28 Atlantic Players going in the first 5 rounds.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Looking at the CSR List - here is the breakdown by birthdays for the 2005s

77 - Jan
60 - Feb
64 - Mar
56 - Apr
50 - May
22 - Jun

25 - July

32 - Aug

25 - Sept

25 - Oct

22 - Nov
15 - Dec

Birthday Bias is alive and well in hockey in the East of Canada!

Reactions: HockeyFanCB

ccmribcore

May 13, 2021

77 - Jan
60 - Feb
64 - Mar
56 - Apr
50 - May
22 - Jun

25 - July

32 - Aug

25 - Sept

25 - Oct

22 - Nov
15 - Dec

Interesting…. Being a math geek, it should be corrected relative to the distribution for the whole population to get an accurate picture

Looking at Stats Canada, november/ december are the months with the least # of birth, year after year….

However, you are right that the first portion of the year is over represented….

Are the over ager drafted usually from the lather part of the year?

TerryN

May 17, 2016

77 - Jan
60 - Feb
64 - Mar
56 - Apr
50 - May
22 - Jun

25 - July

32 - Aug

25 - Sept

25 - Oct

22 - Nov
15 - Dec

There is no solution, if you move the cutoff dates it just results in moving the bias , does not eliminate it

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Agree on the age bias
The challenge here is 29 GP, 2 G, 6 A. Granted S Shore was a weak time this year, but you will still need better #'s then that to get your ranking up. You are right, big kid , decent skater , I would project him as a solid JR A talent, but you never know, get to a Q camp and make the most of his opportunity. There are lots of late bloomers out there.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
There is no solution, if you move the cutoff dates it just results in moving the bias , does not eliminate it

Some non-canadian regions have taken on the "problem" by rotating cutoffs. ie. different age divisions using different dates for cutoffs so it moves things around. The NHL kindof addresses it a bit by giving those late birthdays another year, but it's too late to have a noticeable reversal. The prime development that is affected irrecoverably is PeeWee, Bantam and Midget. Less pronounced for provinces that have minor and major divisions.

jake macleod

Jan 1, 2021
I can see some players from Cape breton go late rounds. Christmas will go round 6, lefrense going 10 and snow going round 10. What are your thoughts on these players?

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
The challenge here is 29 GP, 2 G, 6 A. Granted S Shore was a weak time this year, but you will still need better #'s then that to get your ranking up. You are right, big kid , decent skater , I would project him as a solid JR A talent, but you never know, get to a Q camp and make the most of his opportunity. There are lots of late bloomers out there.

If you're a late bith, unless you're a top talent I think it's better to try and play NCAA. You can play JR A until 20 and have another 4 years to develop. While if you try and play Q you might get 2 years if it works out.

Reactions: Lap2000

SpottedInNS

Jun 14, 2021

South shore only won 2 games all season so 8 points for a rookie on SS was pretty good, their top points getter on the team only had 16 points.

Last edited:

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
Opinion needed: What is more valuable to a building Q team. Drafting a player that they need or Drafting the highest ranking player available?

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Opinion needed: What is more valuable to a building Q team. Drafting a player that they need or Drafting the highest ranking player available?
That depends. Who's ranking are you referring too? Every team has their own ranking, so what may look like a "need" for a pick could also be BPA for that Team.
It also depends on where you are picking in the draft. If you are in the 3 hole and the guy you have ranked as the clear #1 is still there, chances are you take him, regardless of need. As you move down the draft order and down the rounds, it's so dynamic that is changes with every player that comes off the board. BPA is only 1 person's opinion and can not be translated from Team to Team.
Finally, if you need a big RH D with some mobility, you will have a few on your draft list and your BPA at that position changes as players get picked.
I think it is fair to say that every team at some point during the draft will make a pick that is a surprise to them, meaning that a player who they ranked quite high and expected to be gone, is still available. This will then throw off the next pick or 2 for that team and change the draft once again from that point on.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
South shore only won 2 games all season so 8 points for a rookie on SS was pretty good, their top points getter on the team only had 16 points. Leinwand showed up on the hockey prospects draft list as well. He would be a steal for any team. In Major Bantam he led his team most of the year and had a break out game in the Major Bantam all star game (involved in 5 of 6 goals) with 2 goals and 3 assists in his teams 11-6 loss. Also valuable is he played defense from Atom until second year bantam. I wouldn't go into a corner/stand in front of a net against him.
Sorry, but the Bantam All Star game carries very little weight in this discussion. When you say "Steal" what exactly do you mean. A 7th round pick that becomes a top 6 forward in the Q? Or a 7th round pick, who battles for a spot as 17 year old and plays bottom 6 for 2 seasons before finishing his 20 year old season in Jr A?

HkyTalk

Jun 14, 2020
That depends. Who's ranking are you referring too? Every team has their own ranking, so what may look like a "need" for a pick could also be BPA for that Team.
It also depends on where you are picking in the draft. If you are in the 3 hole and the guy you have ranked as the clear #1 is still there, chances are you take him, regardless of need. As you move down the draft order and down the rounds, it's so dynamic that is changes with every player that comes off the board. BPA is only 1 person's opinion and can not be translated from Team to Team.
Finally, if you need a big RH D with some mobility, you will have a few on your draft list and your BPA at that position changes as players get picked.
I think it is fair to say that every team at some point during the draft will make a pick that is a surprise to them, meaning that a player who they ranked quite high and expected to be gone, is still available. This will then throw off the next pick or 2 for that team and change the draft once again from that point on.
Thanks for your response, your input answered my question. My second question that you may be able to answer is if a player is drafted in the first 3 rounds and the player does not have an agent for any type of negotiation with the team. Is there anything that a parent can ask for as a perk for signing their boy. Weather its free season passes and parents trip allowance to go and watch games (travel expenses car/hotel/gas etc...) also I read that these Q teams are starting to pay their players on the books now and not just $50-$100 a game cash in an envelop like in the ole days. Is this accurate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad