2021 QMJHL Draft

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
I know it doesn't apply to the 2005 kids (yet) but you can go to the OHL as an 18 year old. I don't know if it has ever actually happened though.
True - The only one i think going to ohl is Savard but i think they established resedency in Toronto.

Last edited:

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
CSR list is not “intention based”, it is purely player evaluation
Last year, Lastarza was listed 7th, even though his intentions were clear for years

Another example is Peddle, not sure he is coming, but he shows up on the list because of the evaluation scouts made

Making the call... Peddle going 2nd. Should NOT but will.

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
Of course, this first post was only based on Quebec players. I don't start tracking players from other provinces when they are 12 or 13. Of course, I have many atlantic players in the first few rounds now.

I will look back at the players I listed on the first post.

Etienne Morin is still a top 5 prospect in this draft, even if he is not listed as such by the CSR. I don't know if he'll play in the QMJHL however.

Isaac Fecteau has left for the United States and has not developed as anticipated, mainly because he switched positions last year and came back to defense this year. That said, I think he could go in the first 3 to 4 rounds if he wants to play in the QMJHL.

Spadafora was the best forward as a 13 years old in Quebec, but he has not grown physically, which has made him less dominant every year since. I think he will go in rounds 4-5.

I think Wener is still a first round caliber prospect, if not second round.

Ouellet and Cataford are still listed as first round prospect and will go there.

Evan Courtois is still a really solid prospect, same for Lauzon, Carriere, Beaudry, Minville and Grenier who all should go in the top 2-3 rounds.

Talbot has not grown physically and will likely fall in the draft, but Goyette, Baril, Boisselle, Vincent Gauthier are all solid prospects that will go early.

Vince Elie should go quite early as well.

I don't think many of these names were bad calls necessarily, 90% of these guys will go from round 1 to 3.

Seems puck preps has Morin playing 80% playing CHL. I don't know how accurate this is. They have Damphousse rated 2nd... Did Morin play this year I thought the ottawa area was shut down?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Seems puck preps has Morin playing 80% playing CHL. I don't know how accurate this is. They have Damphousse rated 2nd... Did Morin play this year I thought the ottawa area was shut down?

Only played CIH White vs CIH Green games as far as I know. Only games I've seen him this year.

Last edited:

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
While you are working on yours....I will give you my top 4 rounds for Maritime players. These are not in order, as soon as one pick that moves off the grid it shifts the entire next 2-3 rounds. Team needs sometimes trump BPA. A few other names could slide in the top 4 and I hope they do, it would be nice to hit 30 players.
Round 1 - Coughlin, MacKinnon, Peddle, Nadeau , Pelletier , Burbidge
Round 2 - Gendron , Rotondi , Todd, W.Allen, J. Campbell, Richardson, L. McPhee
Round 3 - Ryan , Patterson , Topilnickyj, Squires , Crosby , J, Martin. Jonah MacDonald ,
Round 4 - Jake MacDonald, Farrah , Strapp , Mossey, Shortall , Collette, Lounsbury

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
While you are working on yours....I will give you my top 4 rounds for Maritime players. These are not in order, as soon as one pick that moves off the grid it shifts the entire next 2-3 rounds. Team needs sometimes trump BPA. A few other names could slide in the top 4 and I hope they do, it would be nice to hit 30 players.
Round 1 - Coughlin (R2), MacKinnon (R1), Peddle (R1), Nadeau (R1) , Pelletier (R2) , Burbidge (R1)
Round 2 - Gendron (R1) , Rotondi (R2) , Todd (R3), W.Allen (R2) , J. Campbell (R3), Richardson (R3), L. McPhee (R3)
Round 3 - Ryan (R2) , Patterson (R1) , Topilnickyj (R4), Squires (R1) , Crosby (R2) , J. Martin (R2), Jonah MacDonald (R4)
Round 4 - Jake MacDonald, Farrah , Strapp , Mossey (R2), Shortall, Collette (R2), Lounsbury (R4)

In bold where I have them. Those with nothing are not in my top 4 rounds (still draftable players).

Adding Kiefer Thompson in R2, Malcolm Green in R3, Brett Arsenault, Alex Christmas, Harry Clements, Gus El-Tahhan, Cam Henderson, Cory MacGillivray, and a few others could go between 4 and 6.

Reactions: ATLHockeywatcher

jake macleod

Jan 1, 2021
Late round guys from NSU18MHL: Normandeau, foster, ledrew, smith, Lefrense, wood, Stewart, snow, stobo, reeves, Francis, lirette, mackinnon

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
In bold where I have them. Those with nothing are not in my top 4 rounds (still draftable players).

Adding Kiefer Thompson in R2, Malcolm Green in R3, Brett Arsenault, Alex Christmas, Harry Clements, Gus El-Tahhan, Cam Henderson, Cory MacGillivray, and a few others could go between 4 and 6.
Nice work!!
So you have 7 going in round 1 and 9 going in round 2 = 16 total in 38 picks.
I missed Green, Clements for sure, I would agree with your ranking on both
Thompson's #'s were not great and I watched him several times this year, based on what I seen I would have Farrah ahead of him...but I am far from a goalie expert.
Rounds 4-6 you can probably add Colby Morin as well, great skater with an edge.
I don't see Patterson going in round 1 , he may jump to 2 if a team sees a fit for a 2 way center. Squires did not impress me during the last 2 months of the season, so i see him dropping out of the first round as well.
I can't see Coughlin dropping to round 2, but that will depend on how strong the D core is in Quebec.
All good stuff , we can agree that our lists are not inline with the big name CSR scouts.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Nice work!!
So you have 7 going in round 1 and 9 going in round 2 = 16 total in 38 picks.
I missed Green, Clements for sure, I would agree with your ranking on both
Thompson's #'s were not great and I watched him several times this year, based on what I seen I would have Farrah ahead of him...but I am far from a goalie expert.
Rounds 4-6 you can probably add Colby Morin as well, great skater with an edge.
I don't see Patterson going in round 1 , he may jump to 2 if a team sees a fit for a 2 way center. Squires did not impress me during the last 2 months of the season, so i see him dropping out of the first round as well.
I can't see Coughlin dropping to round 2, but that will depend on how strong the D core is in Quebec.
All good stuff , we can agree that our lists are not inline with the big name CSR scouts.

Colby Morin has everything you want in a bottom 6 Q forward. Lots of speed, very physical, large impact every time he steps on the ice.

I expect Patterson to go in round 2, but I will tell you this. In my opinion, he is the second best forward in the entire draft. I like his game more than I liked Sam Savoie's last year, by a mile. I know the lack of high-end skating will drop him lower. This is my bold call of this draft. To me, he has everything you want in a player: elite IQ, elite skill, great puck protection, grit, two-way game, good finish, goes to the dirty areas around the net, can dangle defenders, sees the ice in a way that few players can.

Squires is a bit of a project, but he has elite hockey sense as well, very creative player with a lot of skill. He is inconsistent, he has things to work on, but his upside is huge. In this draft, I expect teams could go the safer route, but I don't think he goes further than round 2.

As for Coughlin, he is good. He has improved tremendously, has understood that he can use his skating to dominate the game. I still don't see him as a first round pick however.

As for Thompson, I think his skillset might be the best in the draft. That said, it's true that if you're looking at stats and all, you certainly won't be impressed as he was on a real trainwreck of a team.

Reactions: HKYEAST

HockeyFanCB

May 14, 2019
I drop a list of potentiel Qc player....
Round1:E.Gauthier, N.Baril, M.Ouellet, A.Bourque, M.Catafort, V.Collard, J.Boisselle, V.Elie, E.Morin, M.Wener,T.Hebert, MO.Beaudry, J.Dumas, K.Hagen
Round 2: E.Courtois, C.Spadafora, G.Watson, E.Vermette, A.Mercier, L.Goyette, V.Gauthier, E.Baillargeon, E.Perron, J.Carrirere, T.Dasylva, J.Zambakjian, V.Brideau, D.Heroux
Round 3: E.Simard, C.Massey, M.coursol, E, Thompson, C.Talbot, T.Montreuil, PM.Minville, N.Grenier, E.Bourdeau, B.Majdell, I.Fecteau, LF.Charrois, C.Dauphinais.
Round 4 to 6: E. Duquette, L.Gendron, S.Trudel, C.Prepszl, H.Desbiens, F.Woods J.Julien, M.Lacoursiere, D.Demphousse, T.Pazin, SL.Thifeault, X.Daigle, M.Laurent, N.Bilodeau, T.Lemieux, M.Lauzon, A.Jacques, X.sareault, A.Lecours

Last edited:

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021
I drop a list of potentiel Qc player....
Round1:E.Gauthier, N.Baril, M.Ouellet, A.Bourque, M.Catafort, V.Collard, J.Boisselle, V.Elie, E.Morin, M.Wener,T.Hebert, MO.Beaudry, J.Dumas, K.Hagen
Round 2: E.Courtois, C.Spadafora, G.Watson, E.Vermette, A.Mercier, L.Goyette, V.Gauthier, E.Baillargeon, E.Perron, J.Carrirere, T.Dasylva, J.Zambakjian, V.Brideau, D.Heroux
Round 3: E.Simard, C.Massey, M.coursol, E, Thompson, C.Talbot, T.Montreuil, PM.Minville, N.Grenier, E.Bourdeau, B.Majdell, I.Fecteau, LF.Charrois, C.Dauphinais.
Round 4 to 6: E. Duquette, L.Gendron, S.Trudel, C.Prepszl, H.Desbiens, F.Woods J.Julien, M.Lacoursiere, D.Demphousse, T.Pazin, SL.Thifeault, X.Daigle, M.Laurent, N.Bilodeau, T.Lemieux, M.Lauzon, A.Jacques, X.sareault, A.Lecours

Not sure a goalie will go first round. I agree Hegan will be first goalie to go. I think Goyette will go in the first round. He's on average 6 months younger then the rest of the kids in the first roud (late). I like his potential. I would have Savard there too. Not sure he would come back. I also think Majdell will be gone before the 3rd.

Last edited:

HockeyFanCB

May 14, 2019
I agree with you, some players can change a little bit. The last time i saw most of these players was a year ago.
I forgot O.Savard but i agree with you, i'm not sure he'll came back, and it's the same for Sam-Lucas Thifault.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Not sure a goalie will go first round. I agree Hegan will be first goalie to go. I think Goyette will go in the first round. He's on average 6 months younger then the rest of the kids in the first roud (late). I like his potential. I would have Savard there too. Not sure he would come back. I also think Majdell will be gone before the 3rd.

Goyette is a top 10 talent in this draft, but he'll go R2 or R3... no hype around him, and limited video available in pre-season.

CSR list is crazy to me.

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Goyette is a top 10 talent in this draft, but he'll go R2 or R3... no hype around him, and limited video available in pre-season.

CSR list is crazy to me.

Absolutely.

How about Etienne Morin, Evan Courtois, Cristiano Spadafora, Chris Talbot. Clearly underrated players as Swan was last year. Some could go in the first round and most of them won't be available after the middle of the 3rd round.

Kyle Hagen is a top 3 goalie in this draft and will go much higher than Round 5.

I won't name anyone but at least 4 kids listed top 20 may not be picked until the 3rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teaspoon salami

HockeyFanCB

May 14, 2019
Absolutely.

How about Etienne Morin, Evan Courtois, Cristiano Spadafora, Chris Talbot. Clearly underrated players as Swan was last year. Some could go in the first round and most of them won't be available after the middle of the 3rd round.

Kyle Hagen is a top 3 goalie in this draft and will go much higher than Round 5.

I won't name anyone but at least 4 kids listed top 20 may not be picked until the 3rd.

and that's why this year's draft is going to be the fun one to watch....
and don't forget that each team has their own list, and these this list which is important

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Colby Morin has everything you want in a bottom 6 Q forward. Lots of speed, very physical, large impact every time he steps on the ice.

I expect Patterson to go in round 2, but I will tell you this. In my opinion, he is the second best forward in the entire draft. I like his game more than I liked Sam Savoie's last year, by a mile. I know the lack of high-end skating will drop him lower. This is my bold call of this draft. To me, he has everything you want in a player: elite IQ, elite skill, great puck protection, grit, two-way game, good finish, goes to the dirty areas around the net, can dangle defenders, sees the ice in a way that few players can.

Squires is a bit of a project, but he has elite hockey sense as well, very creative player with a lot of skill. He is inconsistent, he has things to work on, but his upside is huge. In this draft, I expect teams could go the safer route, but I don't think he goes further than round 2.

As for Coughlin, he is good. He has improved tremendously, has understood that he can use his skating to dominate the game. I still don't see him as a first round pick however.

As for Thompson, I think his skillset might be the best in the draft. That said, it's true that if you're looking at stats and all, you certainly won't be impressed as he was on a real trainwreck of a team.
A few guys have found themselves in rounds 6-8 - Collette, Martin , J. MacDonald, Patterson , Thompson, Wallace. Round 9+ - McGilivery , Shortall , Welsh....wow , this will be an interesting draft.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I would say that overall, surprisingly, the players that are really badly ranked are mostly the New Brunswick guys.

The Quebec guys are off as well. I'd say some of the highest upsides in the draft are listed in round 3. I'd say the strength of the third round on their list is probably higher than their first round.

I don't think the draft will look like the CSR list anyway, last year I thought Coen Strang was a second round pick, he was listed rounds 6 to 8, then went in the second round like I thought he should.

Half the guys in the first four rounds are looking at the NCAA right now I hear, so the draft could look really strange anyway because of the uncertainty of some players coming to the QMJHL.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I would say that overall, surprisingly, the players that are really badly ranked are mostly the New Brunswick guys.

The Quebec guys are off as well. I'd say some of the highest upsides in the draft are listed in round 3. I'd say the strength of the third round on their list is probably higher than their first round.

I don't think the draft will look like the CSR list anyway, last year I thought Coen Strang was a second round pick, he was listed rounds 6 to 8, then went in the second round like I thought he should.
I agree on the NB rankings and a few NS kids getting the shaft as well, I would take round 3 over round 2 in a best of 7 all day!!!

QcJrhockeyfan

Jan 25, 2021

Half the guys in the first four rounds are looking at the NCAA right now I hear, so the draft could look really strange anyway because of the uncertainty of some players coming to the QMJHL.
i don't think many kids are looking at NCAA. Most are just using it for leverage (first round). I think what could happend is families who expected their son to be earlier in the draft might look outside the Q and that where things could get really interesting.

I agree 3rd is looking good!!!

Reactions: HockeyFanCB

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
i don't think many kids are looking at NCAA. Most are just using it for leverage (first round). I think what could happend is families who expected their son to be earlier in the draft might look outside the Q and that where things could get really interesting.

I agree 3rd is looking good!!!

Most are likely only using it for leverage, but it's hard to tell at this point. I hope most of them stay the QMJHL route. I have not really liked the development of most players that left recently.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Yes for sure, I was talking with a Q scout a few days ago, he said they don't even look at, which brings me back to the point I made earlier....why do it in the first place.
I know when i was with Gatineau Olympiques as a scout....we were always told never pay attention to the list...BUT teams do use it as a …if there was a player in the Maritimes I did not have listed high but he was high on the CSR list i would be asked about it for sure...so they really do not pay attention to it cause they wanted us to make our own list but still make reference to it incase there is a guy we are missing....its a double edge sword.

Reactions: HKYEAST

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad