Patriots/NFL 2021 Preseason: Next Game Sunday 8/29 v. NYG

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think people have taken the "he played for Alabama" thing a little to far. People think there were guys running 15 yards down field wide open on every play
He's a good player but the situation for him in 'Bama was perfect. How will he do when faced with much more duress in the pros?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So I slept on it, and I'm not going to say I love the pick, but there's a couple things that have helped me accept it as the right move.

1. I thought they needed to take advantage of picking 15th and draft a QB in the 1st, which they did.

2. I didn't love anyone else who was available at 15. Christian Darrisaw was the highest rated player on the board, but I didn't necessarily want to take a tackle that high. I thought Zaven Collins was the best fit, and would have been a good pick, but I'm not disappointed to miss out on him. Kwity Paye was another option, but he's got production questions. Jaelan Phillips and Caleb Farley probably had the highest potential, but both have injury concerns.

Am I excited about someone who might be Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins, or Derek Carr? No, but QB was their biggest need and I'm happy that they were willing to spend a 1st round pick on it, rather than hope they can luck into another franchise QB via a later round.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m wondering how many on social
Media who hate actually watched Alabama

I’m still stunned Raiders took Bama T Alex Leatherwood 17

This worked out ridiculously for Belichick in so many ways

it’s the type of scenario after you make pick you go out on your deck and laugh like Heath Ledger version of Joker and just laugh

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
What is the difference between Burrow being surrounded by talent at LSU compared to Jones at Bama? Look at the three WRs Burrow was throwing to! Also had the RB the Chiefs took. Just because Burrow looks better in a uniform?

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
What is the difference between Burrow being surrounded by talent at LSU compared to Jones at Bama? Look at the three WRs Burrow was throwing to! Also had the RB the Chiefs took. Just because Burrow looks better in a uniform?
Jones had better stats vs Burrows in College.
If he can transition into the Pro game to what Burrows did last year, then we are set for the next five years.
Who do we target with our remaining picks?
I think we need to grab a WR and LB with our next two picks.
The concentrate on the DL and OL.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Does this look like a guy who cant make throws in tight windows or throw recievers open?

I think people have taken the "he played for Alabama" thing a little to far. People think there were guys running 15 yards down field wide open on every play

The argument basically stems from the fact that the Bama Oline is a massive advantage over college players, and the Bama WRs are a massive advantage over the college level players.

He won't have #6 overall Jaylen Waddle or #10 overall Devonta Smith (He has Agholor and 2 very solid tightends). He'll also be throwing against NFL corners, NFL level coverage LBs.

He luckily has a good line here in New England to start.

Reactions: Lo97

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Yes he is going into a great situation but as I said how will he perform when he gets under a lot of pressure? Something he really did not have to do in college.

The usual excellent Patriots offensive line and good running game to sell the “play action”. Just be a game manager, in the beginning, then the confidence of formerly running a pro offense in Bama will sink in.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Which of the QBs played under constant duress? Certainly not Lawrence or Fields who also come from football factories. Probably not Wilson either considering the level of competition BYU played. Nobody really knows how any of these guys will transition to the next level.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The Mac Jones pick had me thinking back to this...

QB: #1 is to make good decisions -- then arm, size, physically tough, leadership, guys look up to and have confidence in, a real competitor. Accurate rather than guy with a cannon. Emphasis on our game will be on decision, timing, accuracy -- guy needs to be confident, intelligence is important but not as much so as field awareness and judgement. Can't be sloppy fundamentally unsound guy w/ ball handling, tech's, etc. Footwork, drops, release, etc. -- QB has to be able to throw the ball with accuracy.

That's Mac Jones. Elite decision-maker, elite accuracy, leadership, intelligence.

Those notes were kind of fascinating. Amazing how concise he is regarding what he wants from specific positions and how he was able to find them in NE --- and how successful it was.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The Mac Jones pick had me thinking back to this...

QB: #1 is to make good decisions -- then arm, size, physically tough, leadership, guys look up to and have confidence in, a real competitor. Accurate rather than guy with a cannon. Emphasis on our game will be on decision, timing, accuracy -- guy needs to be confident, intelligence is important but not as much so as field awareness and judgement. Can't be sloppy fundamentally unsound guy w/ ball handling, tech's, etc. Footwork, drops, release, etc. -- QB has to be able to throw the ball with accuracy.

That's Mac Jones. Elite decision-maker, elite accuracy, leadership, intelligence.

Good stuff - sure sounds like Jones. Also interesting to read his thoughts on wide recievers thinking about how poor they've been in identifying guys on the outside.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm not a Pats fan but I don't get all the angst over the Mack Jones pick.

You guys need a QB, he was the best on the board and he comes from a fantastic program. Sure he's got his flaws, but you got him at #15 for crying out loud. That's solid value. He probably doesn't have as high a ceiling as the other 3 QBs ahead of him, but he's also got a pretty damn high floor. You guys are splitting hairs over a guy who hasn't even taken a snap yet.

Whether or not he puts you over the hump and makes you competitive with Buffalo is an entirely different story. The gap between Buffalo and NE was wide IMHO, and Mac Jones isn't going to do much to narrow that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I understand he was in a good situation in Alabama, but is NE not a good situation too? Best coach in the NFL, similar offensive system, good offensive line, plus they have two great TEs and upgraded WR too
For sure he is in a good situation with the Pats. But the situation in Bama was not just good but great. He had the best receiver and the best running back in college football on his team and there were only a few games where they were challenged by a very good defense. More often than not Bama played bad teams that had bad defenses.
With the Pats he will be facing reasonably good teams every week and some great defenses occasionally. I will be interested to see how he makes out.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Had a small preference for Fields but not for the price needed to trade up.

Jones can be a solid starter for the team. Maybe right now that's not enough to win titles...but it's enough to be a pretty good football team. Let's see what happens...

Reactions: rfournier103

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Which of the QBs played under constant duress? Certainly not Lawrence or Fields who also come from football factories. Probably not Wilson either considering the level of competition BYU played. Nobody really knows how any of these guys will transition to the next level.
Who said anything about "constant duress"??? My point was that Jones is the one college QB that played with virtually no duress last year so it will be interesting to see how he handles it in the pros. That's the only question mark with him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lombardi just said SF spent all day trying to trade Garappolo for a first then a second then decided to keep him and go with Lance

incredible

also Saints tried to come up into teens and get Jones but Pats squashed that by taking him

Jets wanted to swap 23 for 15 and give Pats extra picks in second or third but Patriots knew once at 12 then they basically had Jones as Dallas not trading back again and LAC OT there

he said Jones was always their guy based on what they want in a QB very intelligent on and off field, leader, precision passer - rated #1 of all QB in PFF for 1-10 yards

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
For sure he is in a good situation with the Pats. But the situation in Bama was not just good but great. He had the best receiver and the best running back in college football on his team and there were only a few games where they were challenged by a very good defense. More often than not Bama played bad teams that had bad defenses.
With the Pats he will be facing reasonably good teams every week and some great defenses occasionally. I will be interested to see how he makes out.
I get what you are saying, but out of all the QBs outside Lawrence, he is probably the most NFL ready. I disagree though that he didnt play good competition. He played in the SEC and faced the best competition in CFB. Guys like Wilson played against scrubs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Lombardi just said SF spent all day trying to trade Garappolo for a first then a second then decided to keep him and go with Lance

incredible

also Saints tried to come up into teens and get Jones but Pats squashed that by taking him

Jets wanted to swap 23 for 15 and give Pats extra picks in second or third but Patriots knew once at 12 then they basically had Jones as Dallas not trading back again and LAC OT there

he said Jones was always their guy based on what they want in a QB very intelligent on and off field, leader, precision passer - rated #1 of all QB in PFF for 1-10 yards

its wild that they thought they could even get a day 2 pick for Jimmy G

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm not a Pats fan but I don't get all the angst over the Mack Jones pick.

You guys need a QB, he was the best on the board and he comes from a fantastic program. Sure he's got his flaws, but you got him at #15 for crying out loud. That's solid value. He probably doesn't have as high a ceiling as the other 3 QBs ahead of him, but he's also got a pretty damn high floor. You guys are splitting hairs over a guy who hasn't even taken a snap yet.
I can’t argue with this.
Whether or not he puts you over the hump and makes you competitive with Buffalo is an entirely different story. The gap between Buffalo and NE was wide IMHO, and Mac Jones isn't going to do much to narrow that.
I don’t think Buffalo is as far ahead of the Patriots as many think.

The AFC East is going to be a giant melee with sticks and rocks, but the Patriots played Buffalo very tough in Buffalo - and lost by double digits in the rematch with an all-time bad offense. Talent has been acquired, and changes have been made.

The Bills sleep on the Patriots at their own peril.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Drafting a qb at 15 just because you need one isn't getting the most value out of that pick, you're also locking yourself into him for at least 3 years even if he sucks. The qb position is evolving, having the combo of athleticism and arm strength is becoming way more prominent and Bill has just locked himself into one of a dying breed. With the Pats recent track record of drafting anyone on offense besides the line it doesn't make me feel any easier about the pick, since the 2014 draft where you got Jimmy and James White the only qb, rb, wr or te selections that have actually given the patriots useful production are the RBs Michel and Harris. If Jones doesn't have really good pocket sense at the nfl level he's going to blow because he has nothing else to fall back on. He'll be called the safe pick because that's what is said about every pocket qb drafted early but besides Lance he's got the most bust potential of any of the first round qbs taken and that's just because Lance hasn't played a lot of football or thrown a ton of passes for a guy selected at #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad