Patriots/NFL 2021 Preseason: Next Game Sunday 8/29 v. NYG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Im not concerned that he’s not mobile. Nice to have for me.
Looks like he has an arm. More important to me.

Now does he have a brain? Thats the thing I’ll need to see with my own eyes. Because to me thats whats most important.

Ive seen a lot of great scramblers. Ive seen a lot of cannon arms. But if theyre meatheads it doesnt matter.

In his favor was running Saban's pro style offense.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
There aren't many RBs where it's a good decision to go back to school, but Najee Harris improved so much from 2019 to 2020, particulary in the passing game. I'm glad it worked out for him and Devonta Smith.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Over under on how many times Jones and Newton are on the field at the same time for a gimmick type play?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Maybe Trey Lance is the next Dak. But he played in a run heavy offense at the FCS level. And probably won't see the field this year. So he will have played one game in two years. I see great bust potential there. All to say nobody really knows. Heck, I think Wilson has great bust potential too.

If you don't like Jones, be mad at Bill for botching the QB position so badly that he needed to take the unathletic, product of the talent around him Jones. That's what happens when you have Cam Newton and Jarrett Stidham.

There's no guarantee Jimmy G gets trade and the Patriots needed to do something. Going in with Cam and Stid again would be embarrassing.

It will be interesting to see how Fields vs. Jones pans out. I just can't be mad at them acknowledging they had a major problem and trying to fix it.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Maybe Trey Lance is the next Dak. But he played in a run heavy offense at the FCS level. And probably won't see the field this year. So he will have played one game in two years. I see great bust potential there. All to say nobody really knows. Heck, I think Wilson has great bust potential too.

If you don't like Jones, be mad at Bill for botching the QB position so badly that he needed to take the unathletic, product of the talent around him Jones. That's what happens when you have Cam Newton and Jarrett Stidham.

There's no guarantee Jimmy G gets trade and the Patriots needed to do something. Going in with Cam and Stid again would be embarrassing.

It will be interesting to see how Fields vs. Jones pans out. I just can't be mad at them acknowledging they had a major problem and trying to fix it.

I think you are getting Justin Fields and Trey Lance mixed up. Lance's offense at North Dakota State was more of a pro style offense. Fields ran an option based offense at Ohio State.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017

Was Brady ever really athletic and mobile in his college/NFL career?

Nope.

Did he ever have a big arm?

Nope.

Was he smart? Accurate? Did he win games?

Yup.

Sounds similar to Mac Jones to me

Reactions: EvilDead

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
I think you are getting Justin Fields and Trey Lance mixed up. Lance's offense at North Dakota State was more of a pro style offense. Fields ran an option based offense at Ohio State.

Wrong. Lance was more run based, he had less than 300 pass attempts in his career at ND St.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I'm usually someone who can talk themselves into draft picks, somehow i found a way to do it with the Bruins 2015 draft but i just can't do it with Jones, i was actually more okay with it an hour before the pick than i am now. To me his ceiling is Kirk Cousins and just like Kirk it won't matter how good his pass catchers are, at the nfl level he just won't be able to crack into that top 10 range for the position. I feel like some of the fanbase just wants anybody but Cam and if he can throw short yardage passes without putting a crater in the turf then they'll take him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Im not concerned that he’s not mobile. Nice to have for me.
Looks like he has an arm. More important to me.

Now does he have a brain? Thats the thing I’ll need to see with my own eyes. Because to me thats whats most important.

Ive seen a lot of great scramblers. Ive seen a lot of cannon arms. But if theyre meatheads it doesnt matter.

Not sure there have been three bigger meatheads than Elway, Marino, and Favre. Just saying...

Reactions: Lo97

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Nah, North Dakota State was run heavy with a RB...not Lance running. Even with it being more of a pro offense it was very run heavy.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm usually someone who can talk themselves into draft picks, somehow i found a way to do it with the Bruins 2015 draft but i just can't do it with Jones, i was actually more okay with it an hour before the pick than i am now. To me his ceiling is Kirk Cousins and just like Kirk it won't matter how good his pass catchers are, at the nfl level he just won't be able to crack into that top 10 range for the position. I feel like some of the fanbase just wants anybody but Cam and if he can throw short yardage passes without putting a crater in the turf then they'll take him.

I don't care if people don't like Jones but what was the alternative you wanted? Trade up for Fields?

Reactions: rfournier103

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I guess I see it as, if Saban and Belichick - arguably the two most important football coaches of the modern era - like this kid, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
I'm okay with the pick. Just wonder what happens to Stidham now. I'm a fan of his but Bill isn't...

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I don't care if people don't like Jones but what was the alternative you wanted? Trade up for Fields?
I'm a big believer in Fields. It's a bit of a lazy comparison but anybody who wanted Watson before all the allegations came out should have been all over Fields. The alternative would have just been to trade down, take someone like Trask in the 2nd or 3rd and continue to make a already good roster everywhere else even better. Taking Jones means for the next 3 or 4 years he is your guy regardless of how he plays and if you don't believe his ceiling is that high for a guy drafted 15th overall it's easy to be pretty down about the pick.

Reactions: Lo97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad