2021 Pre-Season Friendlies

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I highly doubt we’re the only one, but Arsenal is facing some injuries and players on vacation.

Starting XI probably looks more like this…
Martinelli - Auba - Pepe
Saka - Xhaka - Partey - Bellerin
Tierney - Gabriel - White
Leno
Personally I would go with a 4-4-2…

Martinelli - Auba
Saka - Xhaka - Partey - Pepe
Tierney - Gabriel - White - Bellerin
Leno

We really need a RB.

I think if those players can stay fit then top five is possible. Depth an obvious concern though.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Takumi Minamino is looking very good today. Looks like the Salzburg version. Started preseason slow but very good in his last two games.

Tsimikas also looking the part going forward at least. Defending might be a bit of an adventure but he will generate offense. Good news is that Robertson does not need surgery so he looks more week to week as opposed to month to month for his ankle injury.

Chamberlain also is having a very nice game. Minamino eating them alive. Konate growing into the game now too.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I watched some of the game and while they played pretty well and there's still plenty of exciting young talent, I too have this feeling of dread knowing Messi is gone and won't come back.
In some moments more than others, like watching Griezzy butcher every free kick. It's just never going to be the same. I feel like this is the first time in my life watching Barça going into the season without a true star player to look forward to. Going from Ronaldo to Rivaldo to Ronaldinho to the Xavi/Iniesta/Messi era. And now we're left with the remainders of the old guard, a lot of mediocre players, and some exciting prospects who are still too young to be considered star players really.
It hasn't really sunk in yet, Messi leaving, I think it only will a couple of months into the season when he's not there anymore to save us in tough games.

You're lucky being so young not to remember the really bad days. The most depressing feeling I had was after 1986 European Cup final when Barca lost to Steaua on penalties. I was sure they will never get a better chance and will never win that trophy. And their foreign stars were Archibald and Schuster, who, while good, were not amongst the best in the world.

Then 6 years later, Cruyff was at the helm, they finally won and the club chanced for ever. And have been amongst the world's best ever since.

Reactions: luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You're lucky being so young not to remember the really bad days. The most depressing feeling I had was after 1986 European Cup final when Barca lost to Steaua on penalties. I was sure they will never get a better chance and will never win that trophy. And their foreign stars were Archibald and Schuster, who, while good, were not amongst the best in the world.

Then 6 years later, Cruyff was at the helm, they finally won and the club chanced for ever. And have been amongst the world's best ever since.
You’re a barca fan?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
You’re a barca fan?

Well, sort of, I'd say I have most sympathy for them from La Liga clubs. Started to watch them when UK players went there, like Archibald and Lineker and liked them over Real. Then lived there for few years before the 1992 Olympics and went to matches. After that they have had entertaining and world class players often, so kept on watching them.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LFC need to take Tsimikas off before he gets hurt. Just escaped a dangerous tackle.

Starting to think Minamino hasn’t looked great for Liverpool because he always has to play with Origi.

Reactions: YNWA14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Would I reduce wages? THat's your question. There's a few differences between playing for a football club or a 9-5. If my friend is reducing his wages to stay with the team you bet your ass im reducing mine. case closed.

And hes the star of the show while I get paid to travel, eat and have a good time? the choice is real easy.

These clowns far over stayed their welcome. Its time to go. If they refuse to leave then they better be prepared to face the consequences. The only thing the paying fans can do is voice their displeasure. Kudos to them and I hope its louder and louder for all the useless idiots running around.
You realize if Umtiti had lowered his wages, Messi still wouldn't have been signed?
Again, if Umtiti lowers his wage while Barca signs Erick MF Garcia, he's the clown.
YOU should be booed to not understand that.
And the idiots certainly aren't the players who signed a contract they were proposed.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He didn’t lower his wages. He’s refusing to leave and he isn’t good. What more reason do they need. It’s so glaringly obvious but you won’t see it because you don’t want to. Enjoy

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He didn’t lower his wages. He’s refusing to leave and he isn’t good. What more reason do they need. It’s so glaringly obvious but you won’t see it because you don’t want to. Enjoy
You avoid the whole concept, it's crazy.
Umtiti is a CB. Barca wants him gone, he doesn't want to (at least not to anywhere). Barca asks him to lower his wage, but AT THE SAME TIME, they're signing direct competition in Eric Garcia.
Why would he lower his wage exactly???
Not everyone is a dumbass.

The ONLY guilty people here are the two Barca boards that 1/ signed him and 2/ didn't find him a way out and 3/ signed competition before any lowering wage agreement.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They want to reduce his salary to sign messi and others or want him gone because he isn’t good. Kick rocks or enjoy a smaller pay check and Barcelona’s beaches.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is Divock Origi the worst player to have ever scored in a Champions League Final? And semifinal (twice)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They want to reduce his salary to sign messi and others or want him gone because he isn’t good. Kick rocks or enjoy a smaller pay check and Barcelona’s beaches.
For the last time. If they wanted to sign Messi, they wouldn't have signed 3 players on a free (total 18M) and offered 7-8M to Wij.
ESPECIALLY without having reduced the other salaries before.
Umtiti would be stupid to accept to cut his salary when the board openly spends 6M on Eric Garcia who has proven nothing to provide competition for him.
You target the wrong persons. Blame Bart and Laporta.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium

I mean, the "really bad days" for you were at the time they reached the European Cup final?
I started watching when Cruyff was already there (as a manager) thanks to my uncle who was a big Barça fan and introduced me as a little kid. The worst days for me, and probably most younger fans, were during the Gaspart era which started off with Figo leaving for Madrid - and Rivaldo leaving too not much later. But thankfully Ronaldinho arrived soon after.
I can understand though, the era just prior to Cruyff, those weren't the biggest names in the lineup.

Reactions: gary69

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad