2021 OHL Draft Prospects

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Alex Pharand is gonna be highly sought after. Explosive skating, coordinated, strong stick, makes plays all over the ice and maturely makes the simple plays to advance the offence. There's a lot to like there. Won just about every draw I saw him take, and cleanly.

Last edited:

Steve A McGrail

Sep 29, 2020
Alliance has some quality Kids to keep an eye on....sometimes forgotten outside of the GTHL.
D. Waddick ...Waterloo
B. Degleas CK Cyclones
E. Cowan EMC Chiefs
N. Vandenbrink EMC Chiefs
J. Lopez, Windsor
C Paquette, Windsor
Morey Kitchener
Hay Waterloo
O.Shore Huron Perth
D. Brown CKC
J.Priddle LJS
J.O'Donnell Waterloo
A. Balazs. LJK
M.Wang LJK
MacPherson twins SCP

Dmen
N.Garvey SCP
B.Akey Waterloo
A. Ciamantaro? Windsor
B. McKay CK Cyclones
J.McGrail LJS
A.Maitland LJS
A.Gibson Windsor
C.Lawrence EMC
R.Lovecky LJK

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Alex Pharand is gonna be highly sought after. Explosive skating, coordinated, strong stick, makes plays all over the ice and maturely makes the simple plays to advance the offence. There's a lot to like there. Won just about every draw I saw him take, and cleanly.

Agreed, I think he'll be the top player to come out of the North in some time. Unless of course you count Chase Stillman, who was drafted out of the Sudbury Minor Midget AAA team, but was essentially developed elsewhere.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Alliance has some quality Kids to keep an eye on....sometimes forgotten outside of the GTHL.
D. Waddick ...Waterloo
B. Degleas CK Cyclones
E. Cowan EMC Chiefs
J. Lopez, Windsor
C Paquette, Windsor
Morey Kitchener
Hay Waterloo
O.Shore Huron Perth
D. Brown CKC
J.Priddle LJS
J.O'Donnell Waterloo
A. Balazs. LJK
M.Wang LJK
MacPherson twins SCP

Dmen
N.Garvey SCP
B.Akey Waterloo
A. Ciamantaro? Windsor
B. McKay CK Cyclones
J.McGrail LJS
A.Maitland LJS
A.Gibson Windsor
C.Lawrence EMC
R.Lovecky LJK

Who are the teams to beat in Alliance?

Also, nice to see Lambton and Chatham have some names in the mix.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Agreed, I think he'll be the top player to come out of the North in some time. Unless of course you count Chase Stillman, who was drafted out of the Sudbury Minor Midget AAA team, but was essentially developed elsewhere.

Looking forward to more viewings. Exciting player.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
D. Waddick ...Waterloo
B. Degleas CK Cyclones
E. Cowan EMC Chiefs
J. Lopez, Windsor
C Paquette, Windsor
Morey Kitchener
Hay Waterloo
O.Shore Huron Perth
D. Brown CKC
J.Priddle LJS
J.O'Donnell Waterloo
A. Balazs. LJK
M.Wang LJK
MacPherson twins SCP

Dmen
N.Garvey SCP
B.Akey Waterloo
A. Ciamantaro? Windsor
B. McKay CK Cyclones
J.McGrail LJS
A.Maitland LJS
A.Gibson Windsor
C.Lawrence EMC
R.Lovecky LJK

good stuff i like also

Kitch-Thibodeau, Morey, Talbot
Waterloo-Akey, Waddick, Ertel, macarthur
Huron -Martin, Shiell
Elgin- spence-mcqueen, nelson, witt

Top 4 teams to me as well Waterloo Windsor Elgin Kitchener

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Any news on what's currently going on with regards to the GTHL, OMHA, Alliance etc.?

Is the GTHL still shut down completely until further notice?

I know the NOHA is playing 5 on 5, with Sudbury Minor Midget playing North Bay Minor and Sudbury Major Midget playing Sault Ste. Marie Major.

Also has Timmins vs. Kapuskasing and New Liskard vs. North Bay Major.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Any news on what's currently going on with regards to the GTHL, OMHA, Alliance etc.?

I know the NOHA is playing 5 on 5, with Sudbury Minor Midget playing North Bay Minor and Sudbury Major Midget playing Sault Ste. Marie Major.

status quo, windsor is pretty much locked down, i think most (not all) alliance teams have some midget/minor midget scrimmages going, probably some teams out east as well

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017

hockeytv has all ottawa u18 games with several highend 2005's also showing NOHA games sometimes.
heard london playing elgin middlesex both u18's and u16's sunday monday but only open to ohl scouts no parents no public. Other teams like Huron Perth playing u18's, Brantford as well . All of Waterloo region in red so no games at all. Niagara playing Southern Tier games u16's, York Simcoe playing intersquad games as well as Clarington, Central Ontario but none allow spectators i dont believe hoping early spring we can watch some hockey maybe ohl does some sort of tourney for a draft if they go ahead

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
hockeytv has all ottawa u18 games with several highend 2005's also showing NOHA games sometimes.
heard london playing elgin middlesex both u18's and u16's sunday monday but only open to ohl scouts no parents no public. Other teams like Huron Perth playing u18's, Brantford as well . All of Waterloo region in red so no games at all. Niagara playing Southern Tier games u16's, York Simcoe playing intersquad games as well as Clarington, Central Ontario but none allow spectators i dont believe hoping early spring we can watch some hockey maybe ohl does some sort of tourney for a draft if they go ahead

I can only really speak to the London and KW areas, and one of them can’t even have games as of right now. But for the LJK/EMC, they have to do these games at the Bud Gardens to allow for spacing. Not sure how lenient other health units/minor hockey organizations would be to let scouts in, but it’s going to be tough to do games with scouts if teams can only do them in OHL-sized arenas.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Not sure if this has been discussed here or somewhere else, but I got curious about something. Anybody have an idea how would the league determine a draft order, if no season was to be played?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not sure if this has been discussed here or somewhere else, but I got curious about something. Anybody have an idea how would the league determine a draft order, if no season was to be played?

Only 2 options would be 1) the same order from last year or 2) a complete lottery

I'd think it would have to be the lottery as being good or bad one year in OHL doesnt mean you'd be the same the next year so the draft order is usually very different

Reactions: Hockey Stick

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
There might be a 3rd option, as in a weighted lottery. How you assign the weighting and to how many teams would need to be decided. I think the NHL uses some sort of mathematical formula to determine the draw order for non-playoff teams, then ranks the remainder based on points &/or playoff results. Since there were no playoffs in the OHL, maybe some sort of weighting could be applied to all 20. This is basically too deep for me, we need someone to chip in with numbers / stats stuff.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

For me, a weighted lottery makes some sense. Perhaps weighted in favour of teams who have had little success over the last, say, 5 years.

Teams who’ve had more success over the last 5 years needn’t be slotted the early picks in the draft.

On a secondary note, worked into the process, could be some sort of compensation for teams who went all in last year, traded away assets, but did not get the opportunity to benefit from those moves in a postseason last spring.

I’m not saying via comp picks, but this misfortune could be taken into account in some way regarding the draft order. Maybe after the second round.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I'd say some sort of weighted lottery. How you weight each team is up for debate. The best option I can think of is basing it off the 19-20 standings. Every team gets a 3-7% chance of getting the top pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
NB-20, Niag-19, Sar-18, .... LDN-2, Ott-1 for 210 lottery tickets; NB would have a 9.5% chance of 1st pick, OS & SBY ~5%, LDN 1%, Ott 0.5%

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I'd say some sort of weighted lottery. How you weight each team is up for debate. The best option I can think of is basing it off the 19-20 standings. Every team gets a 3-7% chance of getting the top pick.

Problem is teams are so different from one year to the next. PBO was good in 19/20 but would've been one of the worst in 20/21

Same as the flip side, Sarnia/Soo sucked last year but should be in the top half this year

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Problem is teams are so different from one year to the next. PBO was good in 19/20 but would've been one of the worst in 20/21

Same as the flip side, Sarnia/Soo sucked last year but should be in the top half this year

you can probably make up a horrible sob story for all the teams, but the league cannot give equal opportunity of earliest picks to Ottawa & London as NB. There has to be a weighted lottery, imo.

Reactions: the dog

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

For sure. Unfortunately for the teams like PBO who wouldn't be great this season, I think we have to look at it as if there is no such thing as a 20-21 season in between 19-20 and 21-22, and base the draft order off of the last season that happened, which is 19-20. It sucks and will really benefit the teams that weren't good in 19-20, but it's all we've really got.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Hense my idea of taking into account team success over the last five years for any weighted lottery.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Hense my idea of taking into account team success over the last five years for any weighted lottery.

Just don't feel like that makes sense when junior hockey is so cyclical. I don't see how they don't do a full lottery. Who decides the "weighted" part? It would be so heavily scrutinized . Branch wouldnt put himself in that position IMO

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Junior hockey being cyclical, in a 20 team league, you would expect four teams to reach the final four once every five years (all things being equal).

But we know all things aren’t equal in this league. Have/have not teams. Geography, etc etc. You know the drill.

So, IMO, a weighted draft with the last five years taken into account would be a fairer way to go.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
what does everyone think is gonna happen for an OHL draft? Showcase tourneys of allstar teams? Regional games for scouts? Full 15 rounds? 3-4 rounds? A double draft in January 2022?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
what does everyone think is gonna happen for an OHL draft? Showcase tourneys of allstar teams? Regional games for scouts? Full 15 rounds? 3-4 rounds? A double draft in January 2022?

I think the most likely is a double draft next year. I’m not sure how they will split up the age groups (maybe a U17 loop?). There’s just not enough time to have a minor hockey season that’s meaningful enough for the scouts IMO. 100s of teams to watch and I don’t think many municipalities are keeping the ice in past regular dates, so ice will be harder to come by.

Reactions: foghorn

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad