2021 OHL Draft Prospects

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
without a vaccine i think its hard to imagine a minor hockey season happening. Brace yourselves

What I believe, is that there WILL be a season, but no tournaments (for now anyway). All teams will simply play within their respective leagues.

Really sucks for the draft eligible kids from the NOHA and further North that rely on the Titans Early Bird, Missy Border Battle, Marlies Xmas tournament etc. for exposure.

We'll see, but that's my feeling for now.

Leafs n Prospects

Jan 2, 2019
What I believe, is that there WILL be a season, but no tournaments (for now anyway). All teams will simply play within their respective leagues.

Really sucks for the draft eligible kids from the NOHA and further North that rely on the Titans Early Bird, Missy Border Battle, Marlies Xmas tournament etc. for exposure.

We'll see, but that's my feeling for now.
Also going to suck for the top ETA players that everyone seems to overlook

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
If arenas are forced to impose strict limits on the number of people permitted inside facilities, will scouts even be allowed to enter?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
If arenas are forced to impose strict limits on the number of people permitted inside facilities, will scouts even be allowed to enter?

perhaps they will have to show credentials? recording games is almost a non-option

as someone who has worked in an arena, it's going to be a challenge for arena workers to limit who comes in and who doesn't.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
perhaps they will have to show credentials? recording games is almost a non-option

as someone who has worked in an arena, it's going to be a challenge for arena workers to limit who comes in and who doesn't.
Or maybe the other leagues will finally have to catch up to the GTHL and stream most of their games online

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Seeing early lists on scouting websites for this draft and it's making me think people aren't doing their homework and watching games/video. I don't want to name names but there's one player in particular being bandied about in a lot of top 5s and top 10s who just isn't near there currently but is being echoed. Wish people would be a little more responsible.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Seeing early lists for this draft and it's making me think people aren't doing their homework and watching games/video. I don't want to name names but there's one player in particular being bandied about in a lot of top 5s and top 10s who just isn't near there currently but is being echoed. Wish people would be a little more responsible.

Post your top 10/20

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Whoops. Let me edit that. I mean top 10s that are going up on scouting websites.

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
I don't think that at this point you can put up rankings that define a top 10 or 20. You can list a watch list, etc. but we are talking about some kids who haven't even turned 15 yet. Some have grown early and have had opportunities because of that. Some may grow 5-6 inches this Spring/Summer and put on about 20-30 lbs and that will be a game changer. I think the things at this stage you have to look for is skating ability, overall skill lvel, and most of all hockey sense. A kid that is always around the puck and is thinking the game a second or two ahead of everyone else is going to play in the OHL. Hockey sense is something that translates regardless of the size of the player, and can allow a player to overcome some skating issues that may be caused by lack of strength in the lower half or possibly a kid who has not yet come to terms with a growth spurt.

minorhockeydad

May 12, 2020
Whoops. Let me edit that. I mean top 10s that are going up on scouting websites.

Just an initial qualifier...

I'm a dad of a player heading into his minor midget year. I've had another go through the process. I'm sure some will argue me, but I like to think that I'm fairly level headed, I try to stay on my own at the rink and stay away from the games and drama that some other parents bring. I get my kid isn't Connor McDavid, he's an average AAA player, what ever happens next year will be based on his own play and growth vs what is said about him online. If he has fun next year, that's legitimately my only goal.

My first son went through the draft 5 years ago and I was fairly interested in draft info at the time, still am to an extent. Through minor hockey you always get to know new and different people from different areas and cheer for their success. My son knew a lot of 03s and 04s from summer hockey, training, etc. I kept an eye on their rankings and where they ended up.

I think anyone putting their thoughts out there are brave, there truly isn't much benefit, perhaps to get noticed and gain someone's eye and move up a ladder? The moment rankings go up they are wrong, someone will find some way to critique or tear down something that doesn't fit what they want to think. I respect anyone who is willing to put things out without the answers first.

That said, I think if you look at the past few years, there seems to be a wide enough variance between one site and how the draft played out, at least after the first few rounds. That's not to say that they were wrong, that's their opinion, but the results didn't end up mirroring their rankings as you would think they have, many players didn't turn out as good as one would think. There was one site that use to be quite effective at it, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

Ill say again, anyone who puts out rankings has my utmost respect, they are putting things out there and taking bullets to do it, to very little benefit. But I think there can be danger from some in putting a bit too much value in those rankings without looking back at past years and seeing how accurate they ended up.

Just my 2 cents.

Apologize if that comes off aggressive, I attempt to be balanced with the feedback, I think its awesome that they are willing to put things out there, lets just be careful with treating it as gospel, as opposed to entertainment/opinion.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Seeing early lists on scouting websites for this draft and it's making me think people aren't doing their homework and watching games/video. I don't want to name names but there's one player in particular being bandied about in a lot of top 5s and top 10s who just isn't near there currently but is being echoed. Wish people would be a little more responsible.

Can you link me to these lists/websites, I'd love to read them. Thanks.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Just an initial qualifier...

I'm a dad of a player heading into his minor midget year. I've had another go through the process. I'm sure some will argue me, but I like to think that I'm fairly level headed, I try to stay on my own at the rink and stay away from the games and drama that some other parents bring. I get my kid isn't Connor McDavid, he's an average AAA player, what ever happens next year will be based on his own play and growth vs what is said about him online. If he has fun next year, that's legitimately my only goal.

My first son went through the draft 5 years ago and I was fairly interested in draft info at the time, still am to an extent. Through minor hockey you always get to know new and different people from different areas and cheer for their success. My son knew a lot of 03s and 04s from summer hockey, training, etc. I kept an eye on their rankings and where they ended up.

I think anyone putting their thoughts out there are brave, there truly isn't much benefit, perhaps to get noticed and gain someone's eye and move up a ladder? The moment rankings go up they are wrong, someone will find some way to critique or tear down something that doesn't fit what they want to think. I respect anyone who is willing to put things out without the answers first.

That said, I think if you look at the past few years, there seems to be a wide enough variance between one site and how the draft played out, at least after the first few rounds. That's not to say that they were wrong, that's their opinion, but the results didn't end up mirroring their rankings as you would think they have, many players didn't turn out as good as one would think. There was one site that use to be quite effective at it, but I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

Ill say again, anyone who puts out rankings has my utmost respect, they are putting things out there and taking bullets to do it, to very little benefit. But I think there can be danger from some in putting a bit too much value in those rankings without looking back at past years and seeing how accurate they ended up.

Just my 2 cents.

Apologize if that comes off aggressive, I attempt to be balanced with the feedback, I think its awesome that they are willing to put things out there, lets just be careful with treating it as gospel, as opposed to entertainment/opinion.
Not aggressive at all, it's tough to argue anything you wrote! Wishing your son the best of luck in his draft year!!

Reactions: bladesausteel2941

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I haven't seen enough teams to put something together.

You literally just said "people aren't doing their homework and watching games/video" but you're now admitting you haven't done your homework and haven't been watching enough games/video?

You haven't watched enough games to know who's good, but you're qualified to say other peoples lists are bullshit? Come on now. Doesn't seem right that you get to criticize people who are willing to put themselves out but you're not brave enough to put your own rankings out there. It comes across as extremely hypocritical

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Stick

greasygoal

Apr 8, 2020
a vaccine isn't coming anytime soon, i hear this nonsense all the time, kids under 20 rarely die from covid 19, i mean very rarely unless they have underlying conditions. some where around .08% that means 99.2% survive it without any issues. hockey will be back and when the second wave hits because it will due to these lock downs, we wont lock down again, there will be tournaments just no early bird ones, tryouts in September season start in October and away we go for november onward tournaments.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
You literally just said "people aren't doing their homework and watching games/video" but you're now admitting you haven't done your homework and haven't been watching enough games/video?

You haven't watched enough games to know who's good, but you're qualified to say other peoples lists are bullshit? Come on now. Doesn't seem right that you get to criticize people who are willing to put themselves out but you're not brave enough to put your own rankings out there. It comes across as extremely hypocritical

You're misunderstanding. I can't give you a top 20 for the province because I haven't seen all of the teams. This is a reasonable position. I CAN question the validity of a player's ranking if i'm confident there's multiple players on the team who are currently ahead of them. Those two things don't contradict.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Anyways, if you think that's cowardly, we're not gonna see eye to eye on this. I think the player is mis ranked enough to be questioned. That's where I stand. The publications have done a wonderful job in the past, and i'll continue appreciating the in season work that they do.

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
I think it is safe to say that Priority Selection is based in the US and if you are basing your rankings on big US tournaments, a year ago Barlow scored 22 goals in 7 games in the huge Chicago tournament and was dominant. Also the Oakville kids and Marlboros kids (including Barlow) are going to higher than that.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Anyways, if you think that's cowardly, we're not gonna see eye to eye on this. I think the player is mis ranked enough to be questioned. That's where I stand. The publications have done a wonderful job in the past, and i'll continue appreciating the in season work that they do.

Perhaps you skipped over my post, but I'd love to see these rankings you're talking about. Thanks in advance.

LordStanley1967

Apr 5, 2020
THE GTHL yesterday on TSN first up, said there will be some sort of season. looking at end of August - Early September to start (Best case)

greasygoal

Apr 8, 2020
I think it is safe to say that Priority Selection is based in the US and if you are basing your rankings on big US tournaments, a year ago Barlow scored 22 goals in 7 games in the huge Chicago tournament and was dominant. Also the Oakville kids and Marlboros kids (including Barlow) are going to higher than that.
priority selection is a dad based somewhere in southwestern ontario likely london area, thus the high ranking us. kids. yes only ranks based on who hes seen. missing many names in his rankings.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
priority selection is a dad based somewhere in southwestern ontario likely london area, thus the high ranking us. kids. yes only ranks based on who hes seen. missing many names in his rankings.
its not a dad and they are GTA based from all accounts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad