Speculation: 2021 Offseason Trade/Free Agency Thread III - To Eichel, or Not To Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Maybe it’s the frustration mounting from a disappointing yesterday (I woke up more pissed we passed on Eklund); but I really hope Murray picks a direction and goes with it. If we’re not going to target Eichel and go rebuild, that’s fine, but stop this middle ground bullshit. We can’t sell every veteran and go full Edmonton, but holding on to all guys like Rakell and Manson isn’t going to cut it if we’re truly going the rebuild route.

I have to wonder who we would keep out of our current 25+ players as the veteran presence. I'm of the mind that at the very least Fowler and Rakell should be on the block.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I have to wonder who we would keep out of our current 25+ players as the veteran presence. I'm of the mind that at the very least Fowler and Rakell should be on the block.

I’d look at moving Rakell, Fowler, Silfverberg, Manson, Gibson, and Henrique. Honestly based on this off-season (granted it’s super early), this is overdue, which is really annoying. Obviously you have to get the right value for them though. Manson and Rakell are no brainers to move.

Last edited:

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I think the Ducks should go hard after Fiala in Minnesota. The Wild need cap space and he is exactly the type of player the Ducks need.
Comtois-Zegras-Fiala would be a great line.

Reactions: Static

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Murray’s interview essentially confirms he chose to protect Steel over Fleury. Cited defensive depth in young players as to why. God I hate him

Murray said prospects to protect. IMO, he's protecting both Steel and Jones. The three known players we think are set to protect are Rakell, Terry, and Lundy. I think Murray has a soft spot for Silfy and he probably would have protected Silfy before the two prospects. I really didn't care to protect either Steel or Jones. Silf and Rico both have high salaries that Seattle would pass up (and we now know Seattle wanted to preserve their cap space).

I don't agree with Murray's choosing to protect Steel and Jones over Fleury. In a small sample, Fleury showed he can hang in a second pairing role and not look out of place. Steel has struggled for the past two seasons, but he's good at faceoffs. I like Jones' tenacity, but often it's chaotic and not cerebral (bull in a China shop), plus not enough scoring prowess.

From a resource POV, it does make sense to move Fleury because you do have talent depth at LHD because we currently have a bunch of unknowns at forward.

From a talent-value POV, it doesn't make sense to get rid of a player who's talent shone better than both Steel and Jones. Our offense has sucked for the past few years, but our blue line has been hit with massive injuries for the past two seasons. Losing Fleury is losing that quality depth. Losing either Steel or Jones wouldn't affect the outcome of our putrid offense. LoL We have Sam Carrick, who can replace either Steel or Jones.

We won't know how much we will hate this choice until a year or three later. Maybe we won't even think about it again like we did with losing Djoos. Our seasons have sucked so bad that we're latching onto 3rd pairing defensemen like they're our cornerstones when they haven't had a long enough record with us to establish that value. hahahahhahaha

Reactions: KyleJRM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
then why TF did he trade for Fleury? Why didn’t he just trade Hank for a pick?

Hank was an UFA. Fleury had a year left under contract and still an RFA. Maybe the long game was to protect the rest of the roster all along and didn't expect a sudden jump in Fleury's game. Ron Francis was hired by the Kraken in 2019. Fleury was his pick in 2014. That connection may have been quite an obvious choice for the Kraken, along with Fleury's cheap contract.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Shane O’Brien tweeted that Getzlaf and Ducks aren’t close and Getz may test FA waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad